One Year Post-Op Donor Area still sensitive ?

Rdasilva604

Ok so I don’t know if anyone else has ever had this problem, but I still feel like my donor area isn’t fully healed. My donor area feels SLIGHTLY different than the rest of my head, is this normal? The difference is so very minimal that I feel like I’m crazy for even asking. My post-op went very well, and I did not have any out of the ordinary swelling/pain during my procedure. I do however feel an ever so slight irritation, like when you take a hat off your head and it’s slightly itchy. My Doctor (Dr. Nader) told me to use a neutrogena acne face wash, and that it would take care of it. I use it once in a while, but not extremely consistently. I’m going to have a second procedure done with Dr. Erdogan later this year, but want to make sure that this issue will fully resolve itself before I do. Anyone else have this issue or can recommend a solution? Like I said, it’s nothing major, but I’m OCD and I feel like it’s something I’d like an answer to.

Thanks,

Ryan 

• Administrators

It’s possible some nerves were damages during extraction. I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily normal, but can and does happen. Is it painful?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’ve had two FUE surgeries (over 7,000 grafts) but never experienced any unusual sensation in the donor area.  I was blessed with a great donor area and it does feel a bit less dense but it should feel that way.  It’s probably a temporary issue and it looks like your doctor offered a reasonable solution.  Best of luck to you and happy growing.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I only had my procedure done a month ago (also with nader) and I feel like I could end up with the same side. If your skin is anything like mine, when i got tattooed on my back the skin would get irritated and rise once in a while, for what I think was 3 years after I got the tattoo. I think it's just sensitive skin/nerves.

Now speaking about my donor area, it's relatively healed but still relatively sensitive and bumpy with irritation/pimples/ingrowns. I feel like it's super similar to how my tattooed area felt when I was going through that.

Hope that offers some sort of comfort.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:51 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

It’s possible some nerves were damages during extraction. I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily normal, but can and does happen. Is it painful?

No it’s not painful, but it does feel like a slight skin irritation that feels every so slightly different than the top of my head when I run my fingers through it. I had a great post op, and I healed very quickly (see my thread for photos). I don’t know if it’s just in my head or there really is a difference, either way it’s always in the back of my head (literally and figuratively). I’ve talked to other people from Nader, none of which said they had that issue at all. I did get a full refund since my results were less than stellar and I don’t feel comfortable going back. 

22 hours ago, WHYMBK said:

I only had my procedure done a month ago (also with nader) and I feel like I could end up with the same side. If your skin is anything like mine, when i got tattooed on my back the skin would get irritated and rise once in a while, for what I think was 3 years after I got the tattoo. I think it's just sensitive skin/nerves.

Now speaking about my donor area, it's relatively healed but still relatively sensitive and bumpy with irritation/pimples/ingrowns. I feel like it's super similar to how my tattooed area felt when I was going through that.

Hope that offers some sort of comfort.

Yeah I have my full back, sleeves, and chest tattooed... the skin does rise once in a while still to this day on certain areas. I’m going to Asmed because I don’t feel confident going back to Nader, and the results I got were not good, no growth after 5 months, poor density, not happy. Nader is a stand up guy, and I’m very happy I got my money back; however, you can almost guarantee to expect a second transplant. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:08 PM, Recedinggenes said:

Care to share any photos? I’m very curious to how your hair looks now. 

Check my other thread and you’ll see the photos, looks the same at 11 months as it did at 5. Many members on here have had the same issue but most opt for a second procedure with Nader. 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, Rdasilva604 said:

Yeah I have my full back, sleeves, and chest tattooed... the skin does rise once in a while still to this day on certain areas. I’m going to Asmed because I don’t feel confident going back to Nader, and the results I got were not good, no growth after 5 months, poor density, not happy. Nader is a stand up guy, and I’m very happy I got my money back; however, you can almost guarantee to expect a second transplant. 

Did he give u a full refund? Was he apprehensive at all?

14 hours ago, PlzRespond said:

Did he give u a full refund? Was he apprehensive at all?

Full refund, he offered.. I didn’t ask. I gladly obliged, and once I gave him my banking info he wired the money right away. Dr. Nader is very professional, just didn’t get the results that I should have. 

4 hours ago, Rdasilva604 said:

Full refund, he offered.. I didn’t ask. I gladly obliged, and once I gave him my banking info he wired the money right away. Dr. Nader is very professional, just didn’t get the results that I should have. 

That’s pretty respectable. What were his comments on your yield? Any explanation as to what may have went wrong?

20 hours ago, Rdasilva604 said:

= I didn’t ask. I gladly obliged, and once I gave him my banking info he wired the money right away. Dr. Nader is very professional, just didn’t get the results that I should have. 

You may want to PM the fellow that info and delete that info for everyone to see. I would be affraid with the internet now all sorts might want to take advantage of him. Results or not, he is a fine man. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2019 at 2:29 AM, aWidowsPeek said:

I bet if you post current pics Rdasilva604 most of us will agree it looks good for the number of grafts you received. You said you're OCD i feel like you might have had your expectations too high. 

Here are some updated pics, nothing has changed since about 5.5 - 6 months. Let me be clear, I think Dr. Nader is extremely fair, professional, and nothing short of awesome to deal with. I really wish this worked out better for me, however; I did expect a better result and am disappointed. I definitely would like a second procedure and will be looking to head to Turkey when the time does come. I still have a slight itch/irritation in my donor area, although it healed very well and there is no visible marking. I wonder why this is? It’s extremely annoying, and makes me regret not going somewhere like Hasson & Wong and having it over with in one shot. I know people will object and say “dense packing in one session is rare” but to each their own. I don’t believe anyone should have low expectations, otherwise what’s the point? This is 13 months post-op, I hope this helps anyone debating a procedure. 

I took dry and wet photos within an hour of each other, it does really change the way the results look. 

D8BFFCB9-11D8-495A-A0DA-8ECE1714503D.jpeg

C2077136-E5C2-46C6-89DF-320D6B179617.jpeg

BD741E56-6C41-444F-BE06-F884AA26E20C.jpeg

6E04564D-5000-405C-88C8-22EF364F88BC.jpeg

4312E878-E495-4704-B27F-DF727588821A.jpeg

963ED61F-6559-4734-A03A-365AD4EF9F70.jpeg

A29133AC-5A44-4A67-B50E-C1B63F12DC7E.jpeg

71274EE3-5F8C-46F2-8B46-886D69B2F10E.jpeg

57C58061-3491-456C-8880-5E64F7BF94D1.jpeg

3C6029A6-572F-4F8D-A680-A0A913B61464.jpeg

Did he really offer you a full refund for that? I'm shocked. To me, that looks like an ok result. Not great but good. Only a 400-600 touch up needed to get you over the line. I don't know much about Nader but he sounds like a really decent guy

I agree with “Baldrick” above.  Looks like a pretty decent result.  You’re a young guy, wait a while and see how things look in a couple years.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Moderators

I still get a slight all over itchyness in both my donor and recipient area years after my hair transplants. I've heard some others mention this as well, so it's not completely unusual. It really doesn't bother me anymore. It's just normal to me now.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I still get a slight all over itchyness in both my donor and recipient area years after my hair transplants. I've heard some others mention this as well, so it's not completely unusual. It really doesn't bother me anymore. It's just normal to me now.

Did u have this itching before surgery? Do u think the itching can affect survival of the grafts? About a month after surgery I’ve been having itching in in the recipient since one month postop.

I agree that your hair looks great. It may not be perfect, but it wasn't at all what I was expecting to see when reading about you getting a full refund for unsatisfactory results. Granted, I don't see the before photos, but for whatever it's worth, your hair seems to be in great shape. 

As to your initial question, this seems like it may be a question better suited for a dermatologist. I have a recurring itchy scalp as well, and while I can't say that it increased after my HT, I was able to find relief through occasional use of Nizoral shampoo and also a liquid/topical medicine for my scalp. Both of these have helped me tremendously in getting it under control.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 3/23/2019 at 5:58 AM, Sportman said:

@Rdasilva604: Not sure what you looked like before the HT but you are full of hair. Not sure what your issue could possible be. The majority of people on this forum (me included) would only dream to have the amount of hair you got. 

I’m fortunate to have very dense hair naturally, this helps contribute to the appearance that I had a good result. Under light, it’s quite clear that the procedure wasn’t a total success. I agree that it’s not bad either, I just believe that everyone should have high expectations and strive for the best results possible. 

1 hour ago, pkipling said:

I agree that your hair looks great. It may not be perfect, but it wasn't at all what I was expecting to see when reading about you getting a full refund for unsatisfactory results. Granted, I don't see the before photos, but for whatever it's worth, your hair seems to be in great shape. 

As to your initial question, this seems like it may be a question better suited for a dermatologist. I have a recurring itchy scalp as well, and while I can't say that it increased after my HT, I was able to find relief through occasional use of Nizoral shampoo and also a liquid/topical medicine for my scalp. Both of these have helped me tremendously in getting it under control.

I’ll check out Nizoral and see a dermatologist, thanks for the tips.

• Administrators
On 3/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, Rdasilva604 said:

Here are some updated pics, nothing has changed since about 5.5 - 6 months. Let me be clear, I think Dr. Nader is extremely fair, professional, and nothing short of awesome to deal with. I really wish this worked out better for me, however; I did expect a better result and am disappointed. I definitely would like a second procedure and will be looking to head to Turkey when the time does come. I still have a slight itch/irritation in my donor area, although it healed very well and there is no visible marking. I wonder why this is? It’s extremely annoying, and makes me regret not going somewhere like Hasson & Wong and having it over with in one shot. I know people will object and say “dense packing in one session is rare” but to each their own. I don’t believe anyone should have low expectations, otherwise what’s the point? This is 13 months post-op, I hope this helps anyone debating a procedure. 

I took dry and wet photos within an hour of each other, it does really change the way the results look. 

D8BFFCB9-11D8-495A-A0DA-8ECE1714503D.jpeg

C2077136-E5C2-46C6-89DF-320D6B179617.jpeg

BD741E56-6C41-444F-BE06-F884AA26E20C.jpeg

6E04564D-5000-405C-88C8-22EF364F88BC.jpeg

4312E878-E495-4704-B27F-DF727588821A.jpeg

963ED61F-6559-4734-A03A-365AD4EF9F70.jpeg

A29133AC-5A44-4A67-B50E-C1B63F12DC7E.jpeg

71274EE3-5F8C-46F2-8B46-886D69B2F10E.jpeg

57C58061-3491-456C-8880-5E64F7BF94D1.jpeg

3C6029A6-572F-4F8D-A680-A0A913B61464.jpeg

Damn I really wish my hair looked even half as good as yours does wet. I think you're chasing perfection my friend, that's a dangerous thing to do with any form of cosmetic surgery.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’m with you “Melvin”.  I’m sure others agree.  Be happy with your dense hair “Rdasilva”.....Most guys on this website would be thrilled with half your density.  Best of luck down the road.