Can I get FUT done after damage to donor due to FUE?

It's funny to see so many new members suddenly posting and defending the clinic.

I wonder if the admins can check the IP address of these new members...maybe it's just a coincidence 😇

On 2/20/2019 at 9:30 PM, MedLinks Hair Transplants said:

Dear Tressful 

We read your post with great interest and disappointment. 

Disappointment because you didn't get the desired result, are visibly unhappy and rightly so. Sometimes, despite doing thousands of successfully surgeries, the next one doesn't come out as expected. It's an uncommon but not a totally unique phenomenon. We regret it and are ready to offer any assistance that we may provide. Secondly, we are deeply saddened by the kind of language used (crooks) as we take particular care to be conservative in our hair transplant counseling, educate our patients about benefits and risks of medication and not hurry into a surgical intervention. By Gods grace,  we have enough work and do not need to fish for patients. 

Interesting because, the points mentioned by you go totally opposite to our approach. In our practice, we always discourage patients when it comes to vertex (crown) area hair transplant as it consumes a lot of grafts and results are not as gratifying as the front. Secondly  we always wait for maturation of baldness before we do a hair transplant on the crown and strongly push for medication before surgery. A lot of patients can testify that. 

Despite this  if the crown is a major concern for the patient, we either do it under cover of medication or inform our patients that baldness may progress.

When doing mega sessions 4000+ grafts, we either recommend beard hair, or FUT+FUE or 2 sessions separated 6 months apart.

We make it a point to stress to our patients that FUE is not a scar less surgery (as routinely propagated) and we have videos on YouTube explaining this.

We specifically say, that no matter what some blogs say, if the hair is cropped short (below no.2) patchiness will be visible. You need to keep the hair 1.5 cm plus on both recipient and donor site for an aesthetically pleasing look.

So based on these observations, we request you to kindly share your name or number or date of  surgery, so that we may look into the matter and do necessary investigations into what went wrong , the specific communication with you and any rectification or improvement in our SOPs

This information will be useful for us to improve ourselves in future

Lastly, we don't believe that age is a criteria for hair transplant. It's the extent of baldness and future progression. The cut off of 25 years ad mentioned in some blogs is totally random and arbitrary and hence no scientific backing

The density of the crown is not the main concern here but the bad overharvesting instead and that is the doctor responsibility!

17 hours ago, Jhonny said:

It's funny to see so many new members suddenly posting and defending the clinic.

I wonder if the admins can check the IP address of these new members...maybe it's just a coincidence 😇

Could not agree more!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 10 months later...

My hairline is completely destroyed. I have a terribly damaged donor. 

This disaster has pretty much destroyed my life. I can't leave my house without a hat. Haven't been able to gather the guts to find a job. Stuck in a depressed loop and don't have the money to pay for an expensive repair. 

Is there any hope for me?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, tressful11 said:

Almost 2 years now. My hairline is completely destroyed. I have a terribly damaged donor. 

This disaster has pretty much destroyed my life. I can't leave my house without a hat. Haven't been able to gather the guts to find a job. Stuck in a depressed loop and don't have the money to pay for an expensive repair. 

I totally understand your situation. I've been there for many years. I hid inside the house and hardly ever went out. Eventually I finally started getting out and I never wear a hat anywhere now partly because I don't want to get back to the feeling that I need it to hide under and partly because I feel like if I do find someone who likes me then I'd soon have to take off my hat and show here how bad it is.... and I've had enough of them run away (literally) when they actually see me. I decided I'd rather have them know up front. It still bothers me a lot and it's still hard to go out and I admit I still avoid it and I avoid being around people. I spend a lot more time out at night when it's dark then I do during the day. People think that because I go to work every day in a suit and have to meet many people that I'm OK with how I look, but that is not true at all. I haven't used a sick day at work in about 15 years, but other than being lucky that I haven't gotten very sick over the years, the reason is I'm too afraid that if I start making it OK for myself to not go to work then I will fall right back into the trap of hiding from the world again.

To answer your question of is there hope for you, I'd say you can try a small session of beard hair into the worst area of donor depletion and see if that works. If it does then you can do a further session to finish the rest. I'd start very small first to see how it goes.

Good luck to you.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

6 hours ago, tressful11 said:

Almost 2 years now. My hairline is completely destroyed. I have a terribly damaged donor. 

There’s always hope, though you need to keep realistic. You could look into remote work doing programming or web design, for example, which can pay well and spares you the discomfort of having to meet others daily in an office setting. The time you have for yourself can and should be used to cultivate skills or work on projects. Keep looking ahead and keep yourself focused on making tangible progress each and every day towards your goals. Do diligent research on repairs and be patient.

What was done to you is a disgrace. It might be prudent to accept that you may never look good again. Your future expectations in terms of social life and women should be modest, if only to spare you the disappointments later on. At the same time, there is a clear possibility, especially given your young age, that you through sheer force of will will be able to get vastly ahead from where you are now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, tressful11 said:

Can you submit new pictures? There is always hope and solutions, although it may not always be ideal, there are things you can do to look better always. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey: 

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

21 hours ago, tressful11 said:

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but have u ever just thought about winging it and shaving your head? Shouldn't look too terrible and definitely would look better than the patchyness you have with the destroyed donor.

Adding SMP?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Have you tried applying a little bit of dermmatch on the donor area where it seems depleted?

SMP is obviously an option. But here in India we don't have good SMP clinics. And the last thing you want is another disappointing procedure.

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 7:25 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Can you submit new pictures? There is always hope and solutions, although it may not always be ideal, there are things you can do to look better always. 

@Melvin-Moderator

Submitting new pictures below. Please take a look and advice.

Edited by tressful11

Hi everyone, 
A few weeks ago I decided to gather some guts and trim the donor region hairs with an electric trimmer. I trimmed down to approx 7mm length. I wanted to post the pictures here but I got so depressed after looking at pictures of the donor that I gave up the idea. 
After that depressive phase, I am trying to think rationally and come to terms with what gaurang did and figure out ways for repair. 

Note - The recipient area is bad too. Poorly designed unnatural and ugly hairline. I cannot go out without a hat and copious amounts of toppik.  

I have shared photos above.  
Please share your honest opinion about my situation and if FUT repair is possible with my current donor.  

Edited by tressful11

I am very sorry this has happened to you. Is your budget enough to leave India? If so, I would contact the top FUT surgeons and clinics with experience in repair jobs and ask them for their opinion. I would guess they won't be able to extract many grafts because the donor has been left so sparse. However, they may be able to remove some of the scarring so the area does not look as bad. You can then try SMP in the donor like some others have suggested to give it an appearance of fullness. Alternatively, instead of SMP, maybe look at getting body/beard hair put into the donor after another procedure. Not a good situation overall. I may have missed it but did you post any pictures of the recipient? Was the transplant a success in that regard at least?

Europe: Feriduni (I have seen quite a few successful repair jobs from him); and Hattingen
North America: Hasson and Wong; and Konior

Others may add to the list.

If you do not have access to the funds to go international for this, your options are a bit limited. I think the only clinic I would consider in India is Eugenix but if it is possible, I would rather save money and go abroad if I were honest. 

44 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

I am very sorry this has happened to you. Is your budget enough to leave India? If so, I would contact the top FUT surgeons and clinics with experience in repair jobs and ask them for their opinion. I would guess they won't be able to extract many grafts because the donor has been left so sparse. However, they may be able to remove some of the scarring so the area does not look as bad. You can then try SMP in the donor like some others have suggested to give it an appearance of fullness. Alternatively, instead of SMP, maybe look at getting body/beard hair put into the donor after another procedure. Not a good situation overall. I may have missed it but did you post any pictures of the recipient? Was the transplant a success in that regard at least?

Europe: Feriduni (I have seen quite a few successful repair jobs from him); and Hattingen
North America: Hasson and Wong; and Konior

Others may add to the list.

If you do not have access to the funds to go international for this, your options are a bit limited. I think the only clinic I would consider in India is Eugenix but if it is possible, I would rather save money and go abroad if I were honest. 

After what was done to me, I am so scared that I wouldn't even think of going to anyone other than the top internation surgeons for a repair. I am slowly trying to collect money but it might take me years.
What do you think someone like Dr. Hasson and Wong or Dr. Konior would charge for a repair case?  
The recipient zone is badly destroyed too. So it's going to be a full repair including hairline. Do you have a very rough idea of the cost?

Edited by tressful11

10 minutes ago, tressful11 said:

After what was done to me, I am so scared that I wouldn't even think of going to anyone other than the top internation surgeons for a repair. I am slowly trying to collect money but it might take me years.
What do you think someone like Dr. Hasson and Wong or Dr. Konior would charge for a repair case?  
The recipient zone is badly destroyed too. So it's going to be a full repair including hairline. Do you have a very rough idea of the cost?

Hi! Wise decision. I am not sure what they would charge to be honest. I was never going to leave Europe for my procedure so I know more about the European market but this is an American-centric forum and I am sure more people will be along soon to help you out with them. They are both amazing clinics though, I can tell you that. If I had to guess, I would say they will remove as much scar tissue as possible and then close the wound (leaving you with an FUT scar but this won't yield many grafts) and then use those grafts plus FUE ones to repair your hairline so this won't be a small procedure. I then think you will need to have SMP or body/beard hair transplanted into your donor so you are probably looking at two procedures to completely fix this.

I would suggest you really take a look at Feriduni. I have seen some excellent repair jobs from him and he has a current repair job posted on this forum not long ago by somebody. If I remember correctly, he actually has some sort of scheme for repair job patients, but I think this may be for burn victims etc.  Hattingen have also done a repair job on here recently but I haven't seen all that many from them overall.

Those four clinics I mentioned are amongst the world's elite, IMO, so you can't go wrong with any of them. I would email them all with photos and an explanation and see what they get back to you with in terms of practicalities and cost and then take it from there. An email is free and at least then you are getting expert advice and not just advice from non-doctors (like me) on this forum. Another point is, given your situation and the fact COVID-19 has probably meant a lot of cancellations, it may be worth asking if a discount would be available (but diplomatically). I am not sure how likely it is, but it is worth a shot.

Please do let us know how it goes and good luck!

• Administrators

I don’t believe that FUT is the way to go, honestly the beat thing to do is to either get smp to camouflage the scarring, or get another FUE to blend the rest of the donor.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

13 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t believe that FUT is the way to go, honestly the beat thing to do is to either get smp to camouflage the scarring, or get another FUE to blend the rest of the donor.

Do you not think that taking a strip out of the scar tissue with the aim of reducing the amount of scar tissue and not to extract grafts from would work? This would reduce the size of the problematic area and then he could then FUE the top and then SMP/BHT the donor?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Do you not think that taking a strip out of the scar tissue with the aim of reducing the amount of scar tissue and not to extract grafts from would work? This would reduce the size of the problematic area and then he could then FUE the top and then SMP/BHT the donor?

That area is too large to dissect via strip. I feel the scar would stretch and with low density above and below the scar, he may end up worse.

View my thread

• Moderators

If you can get around 1000 beard grafts strategically scattered throughout the area I think that could make a huge difference. You mention the bad hairline, but we don't really know the situation there. If it's too low you can try FUEing some out and placing those in other areas.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

10 hours ago, BeHappy said:

If you can get around 1000 beard grafts strategically scattered throughout the area I think that could make a huge difference. You mention the bad hairline, but we don't really know the situation there. If it's too low you can try FUEing some out and placing those in other areas.

I am a little apprehensive about sharing frontal images due to privacy concerns. Hairline isn't low, it's just terrible design and unnatural. 
I do have a decent beard though. So, I suppose the beard grafts can be possibly implanted in the scars to reduce the sparse look.

You can always block your facial features to protect your anonymity. 

Gillenator

On 4/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, tesla007 said:

What exactly is that and how to fix it?

On 4/25/2020 at 2:02 PM, LonelyGraft said:

To me it sounds like you’re not shampooing enough nor r u using a shampoo that is cleansing enough. Using a baby shampoo twice a week will likely not get rid of all the oils and dead skin your scalp accumulates

Maybe try shampooing every day until the scalp is free from debris and then purchase a high quality shampoo to use every other day.

• Like 1

Gillenator