Can I get FUT done after damage to donor due to FUE?

I had a horrible FUE transplant at Medlinks Delhi about an year ago. 
Dr. Gaurang is a crook and badly damaged my donor area.

Background - I am 23 years old and have been fighting hairloss ever since I was 18. I have pretty aggressive hairloss and it is diffuse patterned. After being made fun of almost everywhere and being mocked by my friends and colleagues regularly, I decided to get a HT done at the age of 23. I shouldn't have gone for it before 25 but a lot of people go for hair transplants at an early age and get fantastic results.
While I agree I should have researched more but I was young and naive and Dr. Gaurang being the crook that he is, agreed to transplant the crown without telling me about the consequences of early age crown transplant. It's almost a year after the transplant the hairs at the crown have barely grown (all grafts wasted, my crown was better before the transplant) and the hairline design is pretty bad.  
I consulted a couple of experienced surgeons after my surgery (one of them has even done transplants for celebrities) and they all agreed that my donor area has been badly damaged and I might have even lost a lot of hairs to shock loss due to poor extraction technique. Being the ethical surgeons they are, they told me won't touch my head and fix the bad transplant until I am 25.

I would like to know if there's still enough donor area left for a FUT extraction or there's only FUE option left?
I am attaching photos below.

DSC03694.thumb.jpg.55e3e19e16224b362b3804833e76670f.jpgDSC03695.thumb.jpg.0fdb16b55aa6412f3ac769eacbbd8061.jpgDSC03697.thumb.jpg.a3d65ea4cb05255bd4dd38b84ed2b049.jpgDSC04608crop.thumb.jpg.8ef92e297c3b854cb439b980835da1cf.jpg1677863251_DSC04710-Copy.thumb.JPG.54e4ca53777b207a2f65494e85c0dd91.JPG1282743568_DSC04711-Copy.thumb.JPG.a1f8c5c6d36c0e7b4b2672fdca21dae2.JPG

Edited by tressful11

That's one of the worst donor areas I've ever seen.

No I would not recommend an FUT.  You would not get enough hair out of it.

I reckon you could maybe get another 2000 grafts by utilising the untouched donor area but I'm not sure that's wise at your age.

Start by getting on fin and maybe SMP the damaged donor area.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I am really sorry to hear this. Your donor is a mess. You could try SMP all over, and not just the donor, rather than a transplant. Without seeing the hairline, it is difficult to say if this is an option for you though. Assuming the hairline is fine, SMP the crown and the donor.

I agree that your donor has been depleted by the previous FUE procedure. However you still don have some donor and it really depends on how long you plan on keeping your hair in the donor area. In some of the photos it appears that you could have a FUT procedure. The fact that you have all that scarring in the donor area already puts you in a position where you need to keep your hair a bit longer. You may want to consider SMP to help camouflage the donor scars and possibility in recipient area to give appearance of higher density.

• Administrators

I would consult with a doctor, maybe you could get a strip to excise all of the bad scarring, but the hair isn’t going to be sufficient for transplantation. Smp is another option as well. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There are quite a few folks that may be in these shoes and that is a great question you are asking.

The area to excise is quite large via strip.  If you were to get a strip, the scar will probably show in the lower density area as even the triclosire technique wont have enough grafts to grow between the strip wound.  

If it is possible, hope a lot of docs can chime in.  But SMP may be a option to visually decrease the outline of density loss.  If you need more grafting later, id hold off on smp.  Did any doc mention adding other hairs such as beard to fill in the area?   

Very unfortunate situation.  It is surely frustrating and hope you get resolution soon.  But understanding you may have to wait is ok.  Try to wait it off a couple of years if you can so you can have a stable loss outlook.  You do not want to keep getting transplants if you go in for the next one now, because you may lose more later.  Definitely try to extend the repair if you can.  This is very upsetting to see. 

Sharing slightly less cropped photos to provide better context. I think my left side is far too gone and is damaged beyond repair but there are still some grafts from the right side that can be used?
Also I have a good beard. It's patchy but the hairs are thicker than average, so beard Hair grafts can be a option for me? To atleast fix the damaged transplant and provide some decent coverage to recipient area

It's really heartbreaking to see the amount of damage Dr. Gaurang and his team have done especially because the other surgeons I had consulted before had told me I have a really good and thick donor region and would be able to get excellent coverage. Now after the damage to donor I think I'll not be able to get good coverage.

What's your opinion @Dr. Glenn Charles

Left

DSC03695.thumb.JPG.cfd39bfb81b8925eceac94c4ae7c328f.JPG

Right

DSC03697.thumb.JPG.a8e9de3309169b0d451f0a3eeaec865e.JPGDSC03745.thumb.JPG.066a5ff154245db7b12134e1cd3c2970.JPG

Edited by tressful11

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If you're OK with having some length to your hair then look into doing FUT along the lower portion of the thinned out donor area to remove as much of it as possible and use the grafts from that to place them into the upper portion of the thinned donor area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Do you any pics of your recipient area?...am curious as to how the yield and regrowth turned out.

IMHO, it will take a combination of smaller FUE sessions where you still have some harvestable grafts including above your right ear and beard donor, SMP, and wearing your hair at a longer length.  The combination of these 4 approaches have the best potential to improve the end visual result IMHO.

I would not recommend any strip excisions at the present time because the resulting scar may be too visible and that could not be reversed.

You need a surgeon very experienced with FUE repair and would cherry pick the best areas and grafts to use.

Even at the base of the occipital zone appear to contain some usable FUE grafts.

Lastly, if you have a large amount of chest hair, that would be a last resort for a donor replacement procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Dont worry. 
You should adopt conservative medications to stop the ongoing progression of baldness. You can go for further hair transplant after the age of 25 or preferably 28yrs after baldness progression has been stabilized. 
FUE would be possible for future with less extraction from scalp and more reliance on beard hair.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Tressful 

We read your post with great interest and disappointment. 

Disappointment because you didn't get the desired result, are visibly unhappy and rightly so. Sometimes, despite doing thousands of successfully surgeries, the next one doesn't come out as expected. It's an uncommon but not a totally unique phenomenon. We regret it and are ready to offer any assistance that we may provide. Secondly, we are deeply saddened by the kind of language used (crooks) as we take particular care to be conservative in our hair transplant counseling, educate our patients about benefits and risks of medication and not hurry into a surgical intervention. By Gods grace,  we have enough work and do not need to fish for patients. 

Interesting because, the points mentioned by you go totally opposite to our approach. In our practice, we always discourage patients when it comes to vertex (crown) area hair transplant as it consumes a lot of grafts and results are not as gratifying as the front. Secondly  we always wait for maturation of baldness before we do a hair transplant on the crown and strongly push for medication before surgery. A lot of patients can testify that. 

Despite this  if the crown is a major concern for the patient, we either do it under cover of medication or inform our patients that baldness may progress.

When doing mega sessions 4000+ grafts, we either recommend beard hair, or FUT+FUE or 2 sessions separated 6 months apart.

We make it a point to stress to our patients that FUE is not a scar less surgery (as routinely propagated) and we have videos on YouTube explaining this.

We specifically say, that no matter what some blogs say, if the hair is cropped short (below no.2) patchiness will be visible. You need to keep the hair 1.5 cm plus on both recipient and donor site for an aesthetically pleasing look.

So based on these observations, we request you to kindly share your name or number or date of  surgery, so that we may look into the matter and do necessary investigations into what went wrong , the specific communication with you and any rectification or improvement in our SOPs

This information will be useful for us to improve ourselves in future

Lastly, we don't believe that age is a criteria for hair transplant. It's the extent of baldness and future progression. The cut off of 25 years ad mentioned in some blogs is totally random and arbitrary and hence no scientific backing

Hello everyone my name is Dharmendra Singh.

I underwent hair transplant in Medlinks on 29 August 2017 . Baldness is a curse as it affects not only your confidence but your mental strength also. I finally decided to have hair transplant.An extensive search finally ended at the doors of Medlinks where I got two world class doctors Dr Gaurang Krishna and Dr Pankaj Chaturvedi. Believe me everyone these two doctors are gem of a person at both personal and professional level. My hair transplant process was flawless . Believe me everyone Medlinks is one of the best hair transplant organization in pan India . It not only commutes domestic but global patients too for hair transplant. When I underwent hair transplant I was 25 . Coming back to the ethical practices of our two most lovable doctors Gaurang Sir and Pankaj Sir I would only say one thing they are not only handsome but they have a decent heart 💓 too. Love you Gaurang Sir. I still remember I panicked because of anaesthesia injections and Gaurang Sir sat beside me and pacified me. I would like to say one thing that if the sailor of the ship is top notch in his service  and a genuine guy the passenger hardly bothers of the deepness of ocean. I underwent hair transplant because I had complete belief in my lovely Gaurang Sir. 

Coming to the donor area - My donor area is completely fine now. Strands of deep rooted hairs have covered my donor area now. 

I believed in Medlinks , I believed in Gaurang Sir and this belief changed my life completely.

As I had become bald I had lost my personality and myself somewhere but Medlinks ensured well enough to put me back on track of happiness and success.

Literally speaking the warmth, cordial and lovable nature exhibited by Gaurang Sir is unmatchable.i love you Gaurang Sir.

My journey from sad less confident bald to bold confident Dharmendra Kumar Singh

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XMvzPwErvG7uD5QBA

I have summarized my whole journey of almost 1.5 years in the above link in the form of photos. Everyone kindly have a look into it.

And Medlinks I love you .

Lots of love and hugs to Gaurang Sir .

IMG-20180401-WA0006.thumb.jpg.d1310a6ef6a95c3474acb8b995756677.jpg

IMG_20180616_220011.jpg

IMG_20181030_183350_01.jpg

IMG_20181203_125231.jpg

IMG_20180918_205016.jpg

IMG_20181215_183957.jpg

IMG_20181011_205737.jpg

IMG_20181011_182935.jpg

IMG_20181215_183957.jpg

IMG_20180824_211437.jpg

IMG_20170803_131508.jpg

IMG_20180125_123617.jpg

IMG-20180131-WA0004.jpg

Hi folks! My name is aditya and i had my hair transplant surgery done at medlinks 1 year back,(3200 grafts at front)want to ask you some questions,

Why have you not posted pictures of your recipient area?. Why have you kept your hair so short?. Your review seems fabricated and you should not use such cheap words for Dr Gaurang. He is a genius in hair transplantation and he never does fake promises of results. He had done my hair transplant 1 year back and I am thankful to him for explaining to me all the consequences of surgery in details with all the real expectation i can have with the transplant,before hair transplant surgery  i had met a lot of famous hair transplant surgeons (including celebrity hair transplant surgeon) I personally felt he is the best surgeon in India for hair transplant and more than that he is a great human being.I am posting my pictures of the donor area after hair transplant with different lengths and you will find your answer and I am sure in due course of time you will regret whatever you said about Dr Gaurang.

IMG-20190221-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190221-WA0005.jpg

20190221_094437.jpg

IMG-20190221-WA0007.jpg

20190221_095658.jpg

Edited by Adityakumar

Sorry to hear about your experience.

However I have a completely different opinion about Dr Gaurang and Medlinks.

I can proudly say that Medlinks is one of the best hair transplant clinic with world class standards, be it pricing, quality of service and aftercare services. There has never been a single instant where I was overcharged. So using words like Crooks for them is totally unacceptable.

I live in Toronto-Canada and have came across a lot doctors throughout my life, however there is no doubt in saying that there is no doctor like Dr. Gaurang and I can proudly say that there is such a world class hair transplant clinic in India. Dr Gaurang is very friendly and an expert in this field and holds his degrees from the most prestigious university in India.

They are actually the game changers as they believe in constant innovation. Their Perfect-I technique (an advanced version of FUE) is very effective and gives better results and my doner area improved significantly within 6 months. I will attach my pictures after two years of transplant and you can see the results yourself.

Their staff especially Mr. Sarvan are very helpful regarding follow-ups even after 2 years of my transplant. Their staff always welcomes you with a smile no matter who that person is from reception to a helper. 

I see a huge transformation in my looks and it actually changed my life. Their PRP treatment is very effective and acts as a booster for better results.

F422BD52-90DD-4722-B23B-C2FFB768E4B3.jpeg

ACF19076-50FF-4F7D-9FF9-66366F4B18E6.jpeg

5F914CA5-8319-4475-B849-4E0141580EF9.jpeg

91D909A0-EF42-4437-A263-9F94544F6C45.jpeg

Suddenly this thread evolved into a commercialized promotion of certain doctors.

Edited by gillenator
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Obviously, looks worse for certain doctors as it shows the length taken to discredit someone who clearly has a genuine concern.  

Never seen some folks post and then all of a sudden, their point is used to counter the OP.  

Hope Tressful gets repaired and is able to move forward with all this.  

• Sad 1

On 2/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, Adityakumar said:

Hi folks! My name is aditya and i had my hair transplant surgery done at medlinks 1 year back,(3200 grafts at front)want to ask you some questions,

Why have you not posted pictures of your recipient area?. Why have you kept your hair so short?. Your review seems fabricated and you should not use such cheap words for Dr Gaurang. He is a genius in hair transplantation and he never does fake promises of results. He had done my hair transplant 1 year back and I am thankful to him for explaining to me all the consequences of surgery in details with all the real expectation i can have with the transplant,before hair transplant surgery  i had met a lot of famous hair transplant surgeons (including celebrity hair transplant surgeon) I personally felt he is the best surgeon in India for hair transplant and more than that he is a great human being.I am posting my pictures of the donor area after hair transplant with different lengths and you will find your answer and I am sure in due course of time you will regret whatever you said about Dr Gaurang.

IMG-20190221-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190221-WA0005.jpg

20190221_094437.jpg

IMG-20190221-WA0007.jpg

20190221_095658.jpg

Aditya, your donor looks impacted in a rectangular pattern.  If you can create your own thread, it may help with feedback. 

The area definitely appears overharvested unless some of it is shock loss.

Gillenator

10 hours ago, Sean said:

Obviously, looks worse for certain doctors as it shows the length taken to discredit someone who clearly has a genuine concern.  

Never seen some folks post and then all of a sudden, their point is used to counter the OP.  

Hope Tressful gets repaired and is able to move forward with all this.  

It feels terrible man. I was desperate for hair given how young I am. I feel violated. I was not informed about the long term effects, impact on donor etc.

Later I visited a highly respected surgeon in my city (I won't name him otherwise this would look like a promotion for him) who rebuked me for getting a transplant at this age without a proper plan. If he wanted he could have taken advantage of my terrible transplant situation and tried to make money by telling me that he'll fix it. He instead told me to wait it out, continue taking meds, and made me understand the importance of good hairline design that looks natural. 

My situation is far worse than before because I have to wear a hat all the time now when I go out (I could atleast hide it with toppik before the surgery). Doubles and triples were transplanted in the front of the hairline and it looks terrible. I have had several people ask me why my hairline looks weird, straight and unnatural which is why I have to wear a hat all the time. 

I wish everyday I could undo this. My donor region looks so bad. I had very good and thick donor hairs and I was stupid to ruin it.Everything about this surgery turned out to be terrible. Damaged and over-harvested donor, poor angle of grafts, poor hairline, grafts in the crown failed to grow etc. I'll share photos of my poor hairline and crown after a while. Right now I am trying to recover from the mental trauma this surgery has had on me so I avoid taking photos and focus on studying to get a better job so I can save up for a repair surgery with a reputed and ethical surgeon.

Edited by tressful11

I also had hair transplant from Dr Gaurang Krishna and personally to me it was the best I can ever hope for my surgery. 

I was so afraid of transplant surgery and I chose Medlinks as I had a confidence after having a long conversation with him. At last I finalized Dr Gaurang despite their price was little higher than other doctors. I still remember when he suggested me not to have transplant on my crown area even though I was ready for it along with my front side.

@tressful11 not sure why you did not post pictures from recipient area and why are you showing pictures of donor side with such a short hairs? I also have similar situation as yours but I am happy looking at the recipient area now. Your results may vary with different patients but I'd like to know if you contacted him or his team on your results? I am sure he would have given you a solution if you've contacted them. I was in touch with him after my surgery two years back and he never avoided meeting with me during that time.

In my personal opinion he is the best doctor for transplant and I say it after looking at my own result and his other clients (see on you tube).

Edited by waseem

Tressful, unfortunately it seems your thread is being  countered with folks that signed up just to somehow discredit you and your concerns instrad of creating their own threads.  Just hang in there and contact big surgeons that can do a free consult with you to see how you can overcome this challenge.  Sometimes folks want to just scream benchooood at the situation but im sure there is a strategic way to tackle this

16 hours ago, waseem said:

I also had hair transplant from Dr Gaurang Krishna and personally to me it was the best I can ever hope for my surgery. 

I was so afraid of transplant surgery and I chose Medlinks as I had a confidence after having a long conversation with him. At last I finalized Dr Gaurang despite their price was little higher than other doctors. I still remember when he suggested me not to have transplant on my crown area even though I was ready for it along with my front side.

@tressful11 not sure why you did not post pictures from recipient area and why are you showing pictures of donor side with such a short hairs? I also have similar situation as yours but I am happy looking at the recipient area now. Your results may vary with different patients but I'd like to know if you contacted him or his team on your results? I am sure he would have given you a solution if you've contacted them. I was in touch with him after my surgery two years back and he never avoided meeting with me during that time.

In my personal opinion he is the best doctor for transplant and I say it after looking at my own result and his other clients (see on you tube).

Any before and pos top pics you can show us  and final result ?

On 2/25/2019 at 12:46 PM, Sean said:

Tressful, unfortunately it seems your thread is being  countered with folks that signed up just to somehow discredit you and your concerns instrad of creating their own threads.  Just hang in there and contact big surgeons that can do a free consult with you to see how you can overcome this challenge.  Sometimes folks want to just scream benchooood at the situation but im sure there is a strategic way to tackle this

Thanks for supporting me and not falling for the astro-turfing that medlinks team or their associates are trying to pull off here. 
Can you recommend some surgeons who specialise in repairs? I am skeptical of trusting surgeons based on my personal decisions because I have this inherent underlying fear of being scammed again. It would be better if someone like you has seen results from reputed surgeons can recommend a good one. Thank you!