tressful11

Can I get FUT done after damage to donor due to FUE?

I had a horrible FUE transplant at Medlinks Delhi about an year ago. 
Dr. Gaurang is a crook and badly damaged my donor area.

Background - I am 23 years old and have been fighting hairloss ever since I was 18. I have pretty aggressive hairloss and it is diffuse patterned. After being made fun of almost everywhere and being mocked by my friends and colleagues regularly, I decided to get a HT done at the age of 23. I shouldn't have gone for it before 25 but a lot of people go for hair transplants at an early age and get fantastic results.
While I agree I should have researched more but I was young and naive and Dr. Gaurang being the crook that he is, agreed to transplant the crown without telling me about the consequences of early age crown transplant. It's almost a year after the transplant the hairs at the crown have barely grown (all grafts wasted, my crown was better before the transplant) and the hairline design is pretty bad.  
I consulted a couple of experienced surgeons after my surgery (one of them has even done transplants for celebrities) and they all agreed that my donor area has been badly damaged and I might have even lost a lot of hairs to shock loss due to poor extraction technique. Being the ethical surgeons they are, they told me won't touch my head and fix the bad transplant until I am 25.

I would like to know if there's still enough donor area left for a FUT extraction or there's only FUE option left?
I am attaching photos below.

DSC03694.thumb.jpg.55e3e19e16224b362b3804833e76670f.jpgDSC03695.thumb.jpg.0fdb16b55aa6412f3ac769eacbbd8061.jpgDSC03697.thumb.jpg.a3d65ea4cb05255bd4dd38b84ed2b049.jpgDSC04608crop.thumb.jpg.8ef92e297c3b854cb439b980835da1cf.jpg1677863251_DSC04710-Copy.thumb.JPG.54e4ca53777b207a2f65494e85c0dd91.JPG1282743568_DSC04711-Copy.thumb.JPG.a1f8c5c6d36c0e7b4b2672fdca21dae2.JPG

Edited by tressful11

That's one of the worst donor areas I've ever seen.

No I would not recommend an FUT.  You would not get enough hair out of it.

I reckon you could maybe get another 2000 grafts by utilising the untouched donor area but I'm not sure that's wise at your age.

Start by getting on fin and maybe SMP the damaged donor area.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

My HT results thread from 1st procedure.

I am really sorry to hear this. Your donor is a mess. You could try SMP all over, and not just the donor, rather than a transplant. Without seeing the hairline, it is difficult to say if this is an option for you though. Assuming the hairline is fine, SMP the crown and the donor.

I agree that your donor has been depleted by the previous FUE procedure. However you still don have some donor and it really depends on how long you plan on keeping your hair in the donor area. In some of the photos it appears that you could have a FUT procedure. The fact that you have all that scarring in the donor area already puts you in a position where you need to keep your hair a bit longer. You may want to consider SMP to help camouflage the donor scars and possibility in recipient area to give appearance of higher density.

I would consult with a doctor, maybe you could get a strip to excise all of the bad scarring, but the hair isn’t going to be sufficient for transplantation. Smp is another option as well. 

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @htrestoration FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

There are quite a few folks that may be in these shoes and that is a great question you are asking.

The area to excise is quite large via strip.  If you were to get a strip, the scar will probably show in the lower density area as even the triclosire technique wont have enough grafts to grow between the strip wound.  

If it is possible, hope a lot of docs can chime in.  But SMP may be a option to visually decrease the outline of density loss.  If you need more grafting later, id hold off on smp.  Did any doc mention adding other hairs such as beard to fill in the area?   

Very unfortunate situation.  It is surely frustrating and hope you get resolution soon.  But understanding you may have to wait is ok.  Try to wait it off a couple of years if you can so you can have a stable loss outlook.  You do not want to keep getting transplants if you go in for the next one now, because you may lose more later.  Definitely try to extend the repair if you can.  This is very upsetting to see. 

Sharing slightly less cropped photos to provide better context. I think my left side is far too gone and is damaged beyond repair but there are still some grafts from the right side that can be used?
Also I have a good beard. It's patchy but the hairs are thicker than average, so beard Hair grafts can be a option for me? To atleast fix the damaged transplant and provide some decent coverage to recipient area

It's really heartbreaking to see the amount of damage Dr. Gaurang and his team have done especially because the other surgeons I had consulted before had told me I have a really good and thick donor region and would be able to get excellent coverage. Now after the damage to donor I think I'll not be able to get good coverage.

What's your opinion @Dr. Glenn Charles

Left

DSC03695.thumb.JPG.cfd39bfb81b8925eceac94c4ae7c328f.JPG

Right

DSC03697.thumb.JPG.a8e9de3309169b0d451f0a3eeaec865e.JPGDSC03745.thumb.JPG.066a5ff154245db7b12134e1cd3c2970.JPG

Edited by tressful11

If you're OK with having some length to your hair then look into doing FUT along the lower portion of the thinned out donor area to remove as much of it as possible and use the grafts from that to place them into the upper portion of the thinned donor area.

Do you any pics of your recipient area?...am curious as to how the yield and regrowth turned out.

IMHO, it will take a combination of smaller FUE sessions where you still have some harvestable grafts including above your right ear and beard donor, SMP, and wearing your hair at a longer length.  The combination of these 4 approaches have the best potential to improve the end visual result IMHO.

I would not recommend any strip excisions at the present time because the resulting scar may be too visible and that could not be reversed.

You need a surgeon very experienced with FUE repair and would cherry pick the best areas and grafts to use.

Even at the base of the occipital zone appear to contain some usable FUE grafts.

Lastly, if you have a large amount of chest hair, that would be a last resort for a donor replacement procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Jim Harris, Denver, CO - Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

Dont worry. 
You should adopt conservative medications to stop the ongoing progression of baldness. You can go for further hair transplant after the age of 25 or preferably 28yrs after baldness progression has been stabilized. 
FUE would be possible for future with less extraction from scalp and more reliance on beard hair.