• Administrators

What kind of concealers do you guys use? Personally I recommend Caboki, I used to use Toppik, but it's too expensive. I have tried DermMatch which is good for the rain and it wont smear or run. However, the application process is time consuming. What do you guys think? i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Instant Full Head of Hair with Hair Loss Concealers

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

As a long-term user of concealers I'll say that concealers are great and have been a life-saver for me these last few years!

Here is my process:

1. Apply Dermatch to dry-ish scalp after washing hair

2. Allow hair and Dermatch to fully dry

3. Style and spray a bit of hairspray

4. Sprinkle some Toppik over the thinning area

5. Spray a bit more hairspray to keep the Toppik in place

I find that using the two products together provides a synergistic effect (i.e., one for lessening hair to scalp contrast while the other makes the individual hairs appear thicker).

Obviously this routine is a bit time consuming, but I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week--usually after running or playing basketball so it's really not too bad, and it takes maybe 10-15 min each time. I'll also top up on the Toppik on the off days to keep things looking good.

Takes a while to get a good balance without the concealer being obvious but definitely worth the effort if you can get it right!

I live off Caboki! 

• Like 1

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

I change hair color frequently - sometimes using demi-permanent to go very dark (blackest black) - then sometimes all the way back to permanent hair color (using an experienced colorist) of sandy blonde/lightest blonde.

Dermatch has 'discs' for all the base colors and w/really good brushes - that's my base (if I'm doing my hair and feel like putting some time in).  After that I'll use a root plumper plus that lifts and separates my hair at the scalp level but doesn't overdry.  I find this gives a bit of hairs at the very root line a boost that Dermatch can sometimes overwhelm.  After that, I'll sometimes use just a pinch of Prothik as a spray (but rarely).

I've tried about 10 fibers in the last 20 years (mostly out of boredom) - the light-diffusing properties (doesn't give off typically brashy 'off-color' overtones other fibers do) of hairatin are the best I've ever used.  I rarely use it but if I want a super boost; it's the most natural.

I find all these products work best w/proper volumizing routines (shampoo/conditioners/mousse/root plumpers/finishing dry sprays/dry pastes & styling creams for thinner hair volume & heat-protecting products w/a blow dryer  etc...) and really learning how to blow dry the hair properly for different purposes (if applicable).

Finally, I use deep-conditioning oils and treatments every week to keep my hair very soft and shiny and healthy 'cause all the thickeners can be a bit harsh on hair at times - even though when my hair is lighter I basically don't use any fibers or mineral-based scalp concealers.  Just keeps my very fine and bone-straight hair strong & healthy looking.

My day to day?  About one night a week just a blend of dermatch and high-end eye shadow blends (w/the proper brush) to minimize the color of my scalp contrast.  I have about 45% of my natural density in my frontal hairline and transition zone & nearly 50% thru frontal 40% of my scalp - going back to crown and the last part of the back vertex I'm probably at 65-75% of normal density.   In my crown probably 80% of normal density. 

So, when I'm sandy blonde and/or lightest blondest blonde there is very little scalp contrast (I'm extremely fair/white skinned) - I might use some combination of the above every now and then but not on the regular.

With darker tones, more frequently, maybe 6-8X's per month.  Like alot of transplant guys, us very picky guys know the best people to cut our hair due to the surgeries we have had & are quite knowledgeable on products & care that gives us the biggest bang for our bucks for this silly vanity we spent so much money on.

I'm thinking of doing SMP or Mark Weston for 'base' down the road but since I change colors I'm not sure which 'base color' is neutral enough for very dark to very light hair and in between?  If that even exists.

At the gym, nothing & I wear a bandana or large sweatband or hat just so I can just concentrate on working out and not give any attention to how my hair looks.

💲🙄

Edited by jjsrader

• Administrators
2 hours ago, baldlivesmatter said:

As a long-term user of concealers I'll say that concealers are great and have been a life-saver for me these last few years!

Here is my process:

1. Apply Dermatch to dry-ish scalp after washing hair

2. Allow hair and Dermatch to fully dry

3. Style and spray a bit of hairspray

4. Sprinkle some Toppik over the thinning area

5. Spray a bit more hairspray to keep the Toppik in place

I find that using the two products together provides a synergistic effect (i.e., one for lessening hair to scalp contrast while the other makes the individual hairs appear thicker).

Obviously this routine is a bit time consuming, but I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week--usually after running or playing basketball so it's really not too bad, and it takes maybe 10-15 min each time. I'll also top up on the Toppik on the off days to keep things looking good.

Takes a while to get a good balance without the concealer being obvious but definitely worth the effort if you can get it right!

To be honest, I'm no one to judge, it takes me about 35 minutes to do my hair lol. I don't know I used DermMatch last year on vacation because I knew it was water proof. It was absolutely great in terms of hold, but the application process was a disaster. The sink would get stained I would end up missing a spot. I feel like I have gotten fibers down to a science. Luckily, I have a good amount of hair now that the hair fibers can look 100% natural.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I've relied heavily on both Toppik and Dermmatch to conceal my hair transplant, with excellent results. Started off with Toppik only, then moved to a combination of Toppik and Dermmatch, then as the HT has grown in, I've been able to use less and less Toppik, and rely more on the Dermmatch (I find Toppik is more important for the '3D' effect, so with more actual hair there, it's less important).

I think with any of these products, there's an art to applying them properly. Dermmatch is no exception -- some people struggle with it, but I find if I keep water to a minimum (just a few drops on the brush) and apply it a bit at a time, it works beautifully.

Edited by seamike

My routine includes using got2b hair thickening creme all around and style my hair. Then sprinkle Caboki around as I have diffuse thinning and then follow up with a volumizing hairspray that has some shine to flyaways and removed the dullish look of a concealer. Looks 100% natural at least to me. Attached is a pic. Thoughts?

20190111_154558.jpg

• Like 2

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

30 minutes ago, hairlosscpa said:

My routine includes using got2b hair thickening creme all around and style my hair. Then sprinkle Caboki around as I have diffuse thinning and then follow up with a volumizing hairspray that has some shine to flyaways and removed the dullish look of a concealer. Looks 100% natural at least to me. Attached is a pic. Thoughts?

20190111_154558.jpg

If you wanna' get really OCD about it I would (when hair is wet) apply just very small amounts of Dermatch (diffused w/water) w/fingertips or applicator brush from your mid-vertex blending forward to near your hairline.  I find fingers work better than applicator on scalp if you separate your hair for each small zone going forward.

This would cut the contrast from your frontal hairline 'zone' and soften the transition from your frontal hairline of transplanted hair and create a bit of a shadow effect into the hairline zone just behind your frontal hairline.

Some girls use mineral-based eyeshadow powder w/brushes to do the same thing or use root-zone touch ups.   I find the powdery products on the scalp are too sensitive to clumping or patchy spots.  So Dermatch is really the absolute top product for larger zones.

You could use a minor-touch up of your very frontal zone (I'm being very picky 'cause I also would like a bit more in the very frontal zone to break the contrast of darker hair w/white skin) 'cause you have visual gaps.  Probably only us transplant guys are this critical of your frontal hairline.  At regular glance I would be totally checking out your eyebrows and wondering what hair paste/clay/wax you were using to get nice clumping high off your scalp w/your longer hairs.

Overall, your use of Caboki is top notch and the way you are doing it is sneaky smart mixing w/other thickeners and then going for product that gives your hair a bit of natural sheen afterwards.   Even fibers like Hairatin (I consider this the best fiber product) need a bit of blending that is very subtle along w/other products to get the best results - you are doing that exact process, imho.

Just my .02 cents.  I was a licensed cosmetologist whilst I attended University to get my degrees, as was my older brother.  That's just my critical-eye perspective for a guy that wants to go all out.

Edited by jjsrader
  • Like 1

Thanks man! Greatly appreciate the advice and I definitely understand your points on the hairline. I purposely avoid anything in the hairline because I have had scarring experiences in my pre transplant days of applying concealer to my hairline and feeling like having everyone in the world is staring at it...probably because it looked too thick and unnatural. So since then I've been going with the method of less is more in the front.

I do agree there can be additional softening in the front and will try your advice out. thanks 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hairlosscpa said:

I purposely avoid anything in the hairline because I have had scarring experiences in my pre transplant days of applying concealer to my hairline and feeling like having everyone in the world is staring at it...probably because it looked too thick and unnatural. So since then I've been going with the method of less is more in the front.

Agreed!

8 hours ago, hairlosscpa said:

Thanks man! Greatly appreciate the advice and I definitely understand your points on the hairline. I purposely avoid anything in the hairline because I have had scarring experiences in my pre transplant days of applying concealer to my hairline and feeling like having everyone in the world is staring at it...probably because it looked too thick and unnatural. So since then I've been going with the method of less is more in the front.

I do agree there can be additional softening in the front and will try your advice out. thanks 

No problem.  If you are really into the whole thing you could even go to a makeup artist w/all your 'gear' and see if they could give additional tips - although I doubt it.  It's a fine line (as you know) between too much and not enough and keeping the natural sheen/color/light-diffusion under the most varied lighting conditions in one's day to day.

Once you do that - you've reached the endpoint.  Frankly, 95% of the people on the street don't notice subtle details like we do as hairloss experts.

If you introduce something 'new' to your concealer routine - the only other advice I have is to use less than you think you need for several times and see how it really looks throughout your day.  Better to be a bit cautious as you know than overkill. 

Every now and then when I do use my full arsenal of hair products/concealers and such - I look at mutliple angles in different lighting environments (before I leave my compound) and I say - nope.  Be more subtle today. 

I don't use everyday (usually 1X per week when I'm a very light color) and about 6-8X's per month w/dark hair.  I sometimes think about having expensive hair added to my own when my hair is long - but that's just ridiculous (2-4 hairs attached to single follicular unit hair groupings, advanced yet very light 'weaves' and all that) and is a market that is 99% female oriented.

• Administrators
20 hours ago, hairlosscpa said:

Lol we have almost the same routine haha. I never put fibers on my hairline, it looks unnaturally dense if I do. I like that you can see the singles in the hairline it makes it look soft. I mainly concentrate the fibers in the crown and on the crown edges. I sprinkle a tad in the midscalp just to thicken it up a bit. With hair fibers my hair looks as good as it did in High School, which is amazing considering I used to a norwood 6.

fullsizeoutput_43e.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

On 1/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Lol we have almost the same routine haha. I never put fibers on my hairline, it looks unnaturally dense if I do. I like that you can see the singles in the hairline it makes it look soft. I mainly concentrate the fibers in the crown and on the crown edges. I sprinkle a tad in the midscalp just to thicken it up a bit. With hair fibers my hair looks as good as it did in High School, which is amazing considering I used to a norwood 6.

fullsizeoutput_43e.jpeg

Looks great man. 

• 2 months later...

I've really tried them all. Started with Toppik, but found it to be too clumpy at times. And then it's also pretty expensive.

After two years on Toppik, I moved to Caboki, but it felt like the fiber was actually much finer and it seemed more noticeable to me.

Recently I saw a IG ad for Triumph - a new hair fiber company. So far, I'm loving it. Good for crown and hair line.

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, TheHairDude said:

I've really tried them all. Started with Toppik, but found it to be too clumpy at times. And then it's also pretty expensive.

After two years on Toppik, I moved to Caboki, but it felt like the fiber was actually much finer and it seemed more noticeable to me.

Recently I saw a IG ad for Triumph - a new hair fiber company. So far, I'm loving it. Good for crown and hair line.

i found a brand on instagram as well called Tint Brand that i liked a lot. much cleaner than the fibers and easier to apply too.