Result better at month 9 vs month 12 ???

Sm90

I had my FUT procedure last January of 2018. By July I could start to see some growth of the new hair (hairline following some density behind it in the the frontal 3rd). At this point I started to see the process begin and I was excited and happy. I didn’t document each month with pictures but the first picture below is a photo zoomed in of me out to dinner and is in September 2018. I was more than happy as my hair had a dense look and new hair line was actually there. The following picture is month 11 and it’s as if the hairline has almost gone away and the density is just going away as well. It’s now month 12 and same thing. I’m very upset and confused.. at this point the new hair should be at its strongest and fullest yet it’s much worse. Did it fall out? Did I have a shed of some sort? Idk what to think. Any answers or advice would be appreciated. 

A53150D3-85A0-4587-A995-D4E572DC759E.jpeg

9BD63647-CC34-467F-9486-440D607DECEC.jpeg

Damn it is exactly what happens to me!!!!

i also had my precedure done in January and my result was the strongest at August.

Then it slowly got worse. To me it seems that the growth of the new Hair set off some Late schock loss. Density is not als good als before. Anyone had the Same Experience? Sorry for my Bad english i am German .

No need to apologize your English is great. Did you explain to your doctor what you feel has happened? Has anyone given you any explanation? I never heard of shock loss at this point. I just don’t understand. I’m about to schedule a second procedure with Feller and Bloxham in New York. I’m so upset and disappointed. I’m stuck between waiting to see if it grows and fills back in over the next few months or just go for the second procedure next month. 

Hi SM90,

It sounds like you are experiencing a seasonal shed where most of the newly implanted grafts naturally shed simultaneously therefore leaving the patient with a temporary hair transplant failure scare. The shedding of these grafts should randomize over time, it's usually the first big shed that can be quite alarming. I would ride it out and not panic, it's quite common.

Also take a look at Spex's informative thread on the subject of seasonal shedding in the link below

1 hour ago, Jango28 said:

I told my doc about the issue and he said to wait it out. Late Shock loss is possible but unlikely. I also schedule my next procedure😆.

@Shera but a growing Phase of 10 to 11 months is a Little Short , isn't it?

hopefully it get's better.

If you have had a large shed then you should give it about 18 months before assessing your result. Give the shredded hairs a chance to grow back and the whole lot to mature back to it's natural state. I have seen this with a a handful of my UK guys and all was well in the end.

I appreciate the responses to this post, this has given me somewhat of a sigh of relief and I guess I won’t book that procedure right away (thank god I saw this in time cause it was 2500$ down payment with no refund haha). I’m just confused to why does this even happen? The hair should be at its strongest at the one gear mark shouldn’t it? And also why is this never or rarely talked about? Why doesn’t the doctor warn the patient this could possibly happen? 

• 1 month later...

How much time is needed ? This shed took off in the beginning of December. It’s about to March and nothing has picked back up yet? Its been 3 full months. It’s still quite bad if not worse. I’m trying my best not to scrutinize but man I’m so disappointed. 

5 hours ago, Sm90 said:

How much time is needed ? This shed took off in the beginning of December. It’s about to March and nothing has picked back up yet? Its been 3 full months. It’s still quite bad if not worse. I’m trying my best not to scrutinize but man I’m so disappointed. 

It's been 13 months since your surgery so I can understand your disappointment.

Try to post some pics of your scalp pre-surgery alongside what it looks like now along with the number of grafts implanted.

This will help judge your result thus far.

Also your shedding hairs still have time to grow back, try to be positive.

• 2 weeks later...

March 12th and hair line still hasn’t picked back up. Been just over 3 months now. Hair feels and looks very thin. Is it possible a shed like this is similar to the shed after the initial procedure? The grafts fall out over the course of the first month and take 3-4 months to start growing again? Could this be a possibility ?

Do you have naturally fine hair? If so, this might be why.

I have very fine hair myself. When my HT started to grow in.....it was growing in much coarser than the rest of my native hair. That was great because the more coarse a hair is....the more it covers, the more density it gives. However, as my HT matured after maybe a year.....those coarse hairs turned into my normal fine hairs that are on the rest of my head. Unfortunately, this robs you of a bit of the density and coverage that you originally had after, say, 6-9 months. Nothing you can do....this is just normal fine hair problems that every one has.

This is why someone who gets a HT where their normal hair is already coarse would never notice a change like this (because even when the transplanted hair matures after a year.....it still still be coarse since the rest of that person's hair was already coarse before their HT).

Edited by matt3480

Hi SM90,

I was under the impression that your hairs had not grown back at all after shedding. If they have then matt3480 has offered you a very good explanation as to what could be the issue here.

What do you think?

• Sad 1

I understand what you mean, but I do not think that’s the case. There has not been much of an improvement or even any at all. I noticed this “shed” right after Thanksgiving. January 18 was my 12 month post surgery date. Therefore the shed started at roughly the 10/11 month mark. Its about to be month 14.  The user Spex in his hair shedding post said these sheds can last 3 to 4 months and all will return eventually. I’m praying things improve in the following weeks.

How do hairs grow for almost a year and just die? Is that even a possibility? I though the follicle either survives the procedure or it doesn’t, and it would be determined right from the beginning of growth? Is it possible for a follicle to grow for that long after transplantation and THEN die ? 

Sm90, fut is usually high yielding in most hands and docs can see appropriate groupings to create natural density if they dissect the strip well with appropriate slithering.  If you still have lack of density gaps in your hairline, before 12-13 month mark, you may need a second well researched decision to undergo a second procedure.  Weaker hairs should never be used towards areas where density is needed.  

Also, hairs should not be going in different directions or horizontal like a tree.  Thats not how a recipient graft should look like.  Hair should be placed at a very articulate and distinguishable lateral slit angle to increase the look of density.  Some docs mention they will do lateral slit but end up doing some horizontal bullcrap or create angles that look like ant legs.  I think its just to get a patient in the chair they’ll say anything.  

Very few docs can do true lateral slit and you can find them if you research.  

Best of luck and i know how brutal this can be.  Sometimes it is better to get an honest opinion then to be led on and have your emotions played with and time wasted.  People should start saying it like it is to help a person and not to confuse them.  You should question tge doc and see what he/she has to say and offer you.

Again best of luck. 

for what it’s worth... i haven’t had a HT, but I hopped on finasteride and have seen tremendous improvements up until the 5th month (november 2018). This is when I started shedding a lot. I lost a lot of density. Just now, halfway through march, I am noticing the shedding stop/slow down. So tack on another 2-3 months and I should start to see those hairs grow back.

I think you are in a similar situation. Hang in there bro

Edited by hairlossPA
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Sm90, fut is usually high yielding in most hands and docs can see appropriate groupings to create natural density if they dissect the strip well with appropriate slithering.  If you still have lack of density gaps in your hairline, before 12-13 month mark, you may need a second well researched decision to undergo a second procedure.  Weaker hairs should never be used towards areas where density is needed.  

Also, hairs should not be going in different directions or horizontal like a tree.  Thats not how a recipient graft should look like.  Hair should be placed at a very articulate and distinguishable lateral slit angle to increase the look of density.  Some docs mention they will do lateral slit but end up doing some horizontal bullcrap or create angles that look like ant legs.  I think its just to get a patient in the chair they’ll say anything.  

Very few docs can do true lateral slit and you can find them if you research.  

Best of luck and i know how brutal this can be.  Sometimes it is better to get an honest opinion then to be led on and have your emotions played with and time wasted.  People should start saying it like it is to help a person and not to confuse them.  You should question tge doc and see what he/she has to say and offer you.

Again best of luck. 

My situation isn’t exactly what you explained. If you read I explained that my result at 8, 9 and 10 month was great and I had no complaints. After that it’s as if hair in my new hairline and density behind just started going away and falling out. I’m approaching the 14 month mark and it’s still hasn’t grown back. 

-Misangled grafts can cause fall out months later when they grow and transect each other

-Depth of graft insertion can be a part if it 

-It can happen if a graft is inserted at different angles where one grows sooner and anotger grows later tgen they collide with each other as they mature

-Other reasons for graft fall out could be if weaker grafts that were tend to shed were placed in the area in general

-other reason could be skin issues or folliculitus realated

sheds usually last 3-4 months but return

hope your growth is better soon

• 2 years later...