2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Rahal - 1 Year Post-Op

skassxsa

Hi Everyone!

This is my journey so far dealing with Hairloss. When I was in my early twenty's I abruptly lost a tremendous amount of hair (mostly causing my hairline to regress back at the temples) due to medication side effects. Unfortunately, my hair did not bounce back after stopping the meds, as I was initially told they would. As the years progressed, my hair didn't become any better. I had some good days and some bad days, but in general I spent everyday conscious of my hair. I would be afraid of windy days, I constantly wore baseball caps whenever I could, I hated going to the barbers, and so on. I was pretty sick of the way I was living with my hairloss. The psychological impacts were huge and left me exhausted. Over the years, I did a lot of research and spent many hours roaming online hairloss forums. I tried dozens of at-home remedies, supplements and prescription meds like finasteride. I tried everything but my nothing really came close to correcting my main concern, my bad hairline. And to be honest, I felt like all the stress was causing even more and worse shedding. Last year, in December 2018, I decided to do something about it. That something being a transplant. To be honest, I was a little worried about getting a surgery but everything else had failed me. Currently, I am 32.

I contacted a few doctors on my shortlist and decided to go with Dr. Rahal in Canada. I spent a significant amount of time deciding on which surgeon to pick and I am glad that I did. Even before the consultations, I knew that I was going to get FUE rather than FUT, because I didn't want a scar on the back of my head. For me, spending the extra money was worth the better aesthetics on the donor site (where the hairs were taken from). There was a little bit of extra effort like renewing my passport and arranging travel to Canada compared to if I decided to go to a local hair surgeon in the US. However, Dr. Rahal's clinic is set up to accommodate international patients. They converted the adjacent office building into a guesthouse for patients and it was very convenient. The rooms were comfortable and the kitchen and living room area were very clean. It was recommended that international patients stay 4 days post-op before traveling because of the risk of bleeding, I was in no rush and stayed 7 days. The clinic handled and assisted with everything in preparation for my procedure and stay. Everyone in the clinic was exceptionally friendly and professional. The day of the procedure, I arrived at 5:30am and was done by 4pm. It went by in a flash. Part of the reason being I fell asleep. The facilities were great. The operation room was very comfortable and had Netflix. The only pain I felt were the pokes from the anesthetic injections. Everything else was a breeze. The day following the procedure, my only grievance was the swelling, it was annoying, but no pain as I had pain killers provided. Every day following the procedure, I walked over to the clinic and they cleaned my scalp and applied new dressing. The back of my head healed up really nicely. 

Density: 65 grafts/cm2 front and then gradual decreasing density starting from 1cm from hairline

Graft Counts:

1 unit- 601

2 unit- 1413

3 unit- 503

4 unit- 1

Total Hairs - 4940

It has been exactly 1 year now since I had 2500 grafts transplanted to the front and temple regions. The pictures are posted down below and are at the timepoints of Pre-op, Post-op, Day 3, 1 Week, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 1 year. 

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

IMG_5955.JPG

IMG_6454.JPG

IMG_6471.JPG

IMG_6483.JPG

IMG_6494.JPG

IMG_20180101_054046.jpg

IMG_20180101_054136.jpg

IMG_20180107_202649.jpg

IMG_20180107_202813.jpg

IMG_20180107_202858.jpg

IMG_20180107_203016.jpg

IMG_20180213_142811.jpg

IMG_20180213_142825.jpg

IMG_20180702_143539.jpg

IMG_20180702_143603.jpg

IMG_20180702_143605.jpg

IMG_20180702_144031 (1).jpg

IMG_20180702_144149.jpg

IMG_20180702_144625.jpg

IMG_20180702_145007.jpg

IMG_20181016_124539.jpg

IMG_20181016_124606.jpg

IMG_20181016_124843.jpg

IMG_20181016_125219.jpg

IMG_20190109_144609.jpg

IMG_20190109_144629.jpg

IMG_20190109_144712.jpg

IMG_20190109_144807.jpg

IMG_20190109_154112.jpg

IMG_20190109_154257.jpg

Edited by skassxsa

That's a complicated answer in my mind because there are so many things to consider. Such as, comparing it to my original youthful hairline, understanding the mechanics and aesthetics of the procedure, and tempering realistic expectations with my simple desire of badass thick locks.

I will answer your question in two parts:

1) I am happy and satisfied with Dr. Rahal as my surgeon

2) I do feel that now that the bulk of the work has been done (ie 2500 grafts) and now knowing how my hair looks transplanted, I want to do a few touch ups to make it look more natural and ideal

Edited by skassxsa

Looks good solid job. May i ask how old are you are and what area you thinking about touching  up ?

What part of the procedure was Dr Rahal actually involved in  i mean did he make the incisions himself ?

Panamera - I didn't mean to say my hairline doesn't look natural. What I was referring to was the front part of my side temples. That part was left out because 2500 grafts was already a super session and the touch up being to put some grafts there so it matches better with the hair on top and behind that already had been transplanted.

Markee - I'm thinking about touching up the sides. To be more specific, I mean a new transplant on my side temples that hasn't been touched yet. From what I can recall, Dr. Rahal was involved in everything to varying degrees and did make the incisions.

Well to be fair, Dr. Rahal said that in order to get a natural hairline, the grafts are mostly 1 units at the front. Also, my hair characteristics are straight with normal thickness, so my scalp shows more than someone with curly thick hair. But I agree with you, I need more density at my hairline.

I tried counting my hairs just now but it was too difficult trying to stay within a square cm. I'll try to ask someone to count for me and then let you know what it is.

• Like 1

Brother,

You had good solid hair to begin with. Yes, you had experienced hairless, but you had what looked like good donor and great hair caliber. Your post op progression shows different hair lengths and therefore different results. Is you hair PERFECT? Maybe not, but if not, its not far off.. But your hair looks  amazing. Remember, with your hair pulled/slicked back, of course that is the most aggressive/honest showcase of your hair. But the result of only 2500 grafts looks fantastic. Your photos are close ups, bright and with your hair styled at its  most instrusive. Your 1 year post op photo shows that you would maybe prefer more thickness within the hairline, but the previous photos show an impressive and appropriately thick hairline. Don't buy into the negativity of some posters. A definite success. Well done and congratulations!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Result looks great man! I love seeing this kind of stuff.

Another thing to look at is your donor area… looks awesome.

Re: tweaking things.

Maybe 100 grafts or so on the right side to thicken things up. I think I noticed an area that is a little thinner. I know Dr. Rahal is really good about this stuff… And would fall under his growth guarantee. Maybe schedule a session to refine things. I would not touch the hairline, especially the micro-/macro irregularity… he nailed it.

Edited by HairLossMentor

PS I would wait 15 months before you schedule a session to refine things. With my hair transplant I noticed an increase in density after 12 months, basically the hairs mature and thicken. Things start to flow, hair starts to settle. It's around this time you can judge the final final result… And a great time to tweak things

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, literalno said:

honestly looks subpar compared to some other resuts ive seen. Would expect better from rahal. I am a fellow rahal patient at 5 months and so worried over here

If you think this is a subpar result, you doom your self for unhappiness. This is what you should expect from a great clinic. 

This is a good looking very natural result with a fair amount of graft. With a few 100 grafts on one side (which was untouched) and some few grafts in the hairline this will go from a good to a great result. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, Gasthoerer said:

If you think this is a subpar result, you doom your self for unhappiness. This is what you should expect from a great clinic. 

This is a good looking very natural result with a fair amount of graft. With a few 100 grafts on one side (which was untouched) and some few grafts in the hairline this will go from a good to a great result. 

Can he get someone to count the hairs per cm sq? I’m just saying does not look like 65. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 11:26 AM, Gasthoerer said:

5 hours ago, literalno said:

Can he get someone to count the hairs per cm sq? I’m just saying does not look like 65. 

Thanks for all your thoughts  and opinions guys. It's really helping me put everything into perspective.

So it took some team work, some elbow grease and about an hour lol, but I finally worked out the grafts in a random cm2.. it is 55. The spot I measured was roughly in the first cm from the front that had 65 grafts/cm2 implanted.

55 grafts/cm2 at the 1 year mark is totally great news in my opinion. To put it into perspective, the estimated grafts that don't take after a good/successful surgery is about 5%, from what I recall. Also, take into consideration that hairs only grow about 9 months out of a year, so take a couple out there. And let's say that in the coming few months, I get a couple more grafts that are late bloomers. So 55 grafts/cm2 is totally in-line with what should be expected at 12 months after a successful surgery.

What do you all think?

Looks great but give it another 5 months before judging the final result. Hairs still needs to thicken and mature.

You will notice a difference at 15 months, then again at 24 months... you'll know what I mean then.

Keep in mind a hair transplant creates the illusion of density, and after a couple of haircuts you will find the "Sweet Spot" - when it looks the thickest.

Use a Matt clay when styling your hair. A nice pomade would work great at that hair length, just make sure it's not shiny. Dry shampoo is great to create some volume, and check out a thickening shampoo. Thick & Full is great and inexpensive.

There nothing wrong with wanting to refine things. 100 or so graphs can do wonders. Let Dr Rahal know, it's included with your growth guarantee. 

It's an awesome result, enjoy man!

2 hours ago, skassxsa said:

Thanks for all your thoughts  and opinions guys. It's really helping me put everything into perspective.

So it took some team work, some elbow grease and about an hour lol, but I finally worked out the grafts in a random cm2.. it is 55. The spot I measured was roughly in the first cm from the front that had 65 grafts/cm2 implanted.

55 grafts/cm2 at the 1 year mark is totally great news in my opinion. To put it into perspective, the estimated grafts that don't take after a good/successful surgery is about 5%, from what I recall. Also, take into consideration that hairs only grow about 9 months out of a year, so take a couple out there. And let's say that in the coming few months, I get a couple more grafts that are late bloomers. So 55 grafts/cm2 is totally in-line with what should be expected at 12 months after a successful surgery.

What do you all think?

wow 55 is amazing, i must have been mistaken by the picture. Are you able to outline in a picture where the 55 are so i can see where you were measuring?

That is a success in my opinion

On 1/13/2019 at 8:12 PM, literalno said:

wow 55 is amazing, i must have been mistaken by the picture. Are you able to outline in a picture where the 55 are so i can see where you were measuring?

That is a success in my opinion

The cm2 I measured where I got 55 is the black box on the picture below. The box is an approximate size, but the location is the same exact one I measured.

graftcm2.jpg

2 hours ago, skassxsa said:

The cm2 I measured where I got 55 is the black box on the picture below. The box is an approximate size, but the location is the same exact one I measured.

graftcm2.jpg

Nice nice. Is that 55 hairs or grafts. If grafts, do u know how many hairs?