2nd Round With Dr Rahal (1787 grafts FUE) - Fanastic Experience

xabi86

Hello all,

I have just recently come back from Ottawa and had my second round with Dr Rahal. This time working on the crown only.

My previous surgery was a FUT and the link is below:

Last time Dr Rahal mainly worked on the frontal third and the idea was to work on the crown at a later time. Over the course of last few years I had been in touch with Larissa - who is the patient care representative at the Rahal clinic - and had my pictures sent of the crown for Dr Rahal to review and give his opinion on how many grafts would be required. Dr Rahal said I would need around 2000 grafts. I did have other surgeons in mind but I was more than happy to go back to Dr Rahal given my previous experience and Dr Rahal's FUE results seemed to be top notch in comparison to the other leading FUE surgeons.

I must mention at this point that Larissa was awesome in answering all my queries and I never felt rushed in anything. Precisely the kind of service that one would expect from Dr Rahal and his team.

I arrived in Ottawa from London on the 26th of Dec and stayed at the Rahal guesthouse until the day I left which was the 1st of Jan, 2019. So a rather dry new year's day for me :)

Day of Surgery

I arrived at the clinic at 8:30AM and had my photos and consult done on the day itself. I was not able to have a consult on the 26th of Dec as it is a bank holiday in Ottawa. So I had agreed with Larissa that the consult will be on the day of the surgery. So on the day of the surgery, had breakfast and was at the clinic at 8:30 and met Dr Rahal straight away, had my pre op photos taken and then had the consult. Dr Rahal said my density is on the lower side but the hair calibre is 0.66 microns which he felt would give me good coverage and make up for the lower density. We agreed that we would aim for 2000+ grafts and if possible the additional grafts would be used to in the frontal area to increase the density (hair greed at task there).

Dr Rahal however felt we would struggle to get more than 2000 grafts. I loved his honesty and I've heard enough stories of clinics overselling and promising patients what is not achievable.

Then it was in the chair, shave of the head and extractions started. Once extractions were done, Dr Rahal came in to do the incisions. After the incisions, it was the implanting. 

Overall the surgery lasted about 8 hours and we managed to get 1787 grafts which was rather disappointing but it was expected as discussed with Dr Rahal. Also, Dr Rahal and the team wanted to be careful around the scar area (from the previous surgery) in case of extracting too much around there which would make the scar more visible if I kept my hair short. Again, they had my best interests at heart.

Special mention to Sarah who is again from the patient care team who was awesome in looking after me during and after the surgery. I can not speak highly enough of how good the whole team was in looking after me.

I've attached the pre op as well the next day pics. I'll be updating this thread with updates as I go along.

Edit 1.jpg

Edit 2.jpg

Edit 3.jpg

Edit 4.jpg

Edit 5.jpg

Edit 6.jpg

Edit 7.jpg

Edit 8.jpg

Hello buddy,

Didn't go for another FUT because Dr Rahal was of the view, the scar may stretch out if we went for another FUT. He held that view as soon as I finished with the first FUT procedure. 

Hello Juggy,

Every surgeon I guess will have some unhappy patients or bad results. However, my own experience has been top notch and I am hoping that the result from my second procedure turns out to be as good as the first one.

Thanks home1212.

Indeed one of the best doctors in the world and his team is top notch. Just hoping the results reflect that :)

• 3 months later...

Hi all, It’s been for months as of yesterday and here is my crown at 4 months. Thanks

8B4836A9-0CA7-4115-A073-D22E4C060F4B.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

This is my latest picture. Three days shy of 10 months.

I do ask for your kind thoughts or what you guys think of the result so far? I am very keen to hear from you all.

I must say I am concerned with how it’s turning out and I’ve only got two more months to go.

many thanks

E95BC5B3-B9EC-4CF7-B330-4C652E533945.jpeg

You crown looks better but I don't think you will see any more growth at this point, maybe the hair will get thicker and give you more coverage in the next 2 month, the crown is always harder to fix, wait 2-3 months and see how things are, if you it's really bothering you then you might need another procedure to fix it,  good luck.

• Administrators

Hmm it looks better, but you should keep in mind that the crown takes longer to grow. I would give it until 18 months. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Honestly never too sure why it's so difficult to get good coverage on the crown. I've seen lots of guys not see good growth in that area even from very good surgeons. Kind of makes me wonder why that is...

1 hour ago, bruce90 said:

Honestly never too sure why it's so difficult to get good coverage on the crown. I've seen lots of guys not see good growth in that area even from very good surgeons. Kind of makes me wonder why that is...

Hair in the front grows forward at an angle.  Hair in the mid scalp grows the same way.  Since all hairs are "working together" we get to enjoy the shingling effect this creates.  In the crown, however, we all share a whirl.  That is, a point from which the hair grows in a swirl. The hairs are growing away from the point and no shingling takes place.

So it's not that it is difficult to get coverage.  It just takes tons of grafts which could have been used in a more prominent area.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Abi28 said:

You crown looks better but I don't think you will see any more growth at this point, maybe the hair will get thicker and give you more coverage in the next 2 month, the crown is always harder to fix, wait 2-3 months and see how things are, if you it's really bothering you then you might need another procedure to fix it,  good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeh I’ll ride it out for the next two months and see how it goes. Although not holding my breath. Just painful that having to travel, paying and all that is involved in a HT and not getting the desired result. 

I’m with you in regards to getting another one. Who would you suggest is the best in the business for crown? I live in the UK so something closer would be great. 

11 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hmm it looks better, but you should keep in mind that the crown takes longer to grow. I would give it until 18 months. 

Agreed that it takes 18 months but surely by now one can gage which direction it will go. It’s 10 months now. Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...