How are these results possible?

• Administrators

Good hair caliber, small area, longer hair and different lighting.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Good hair caliber, small area, longer hair and different lighting.

it looks like a totally life changing result though

hes gone from norwood 5 to what, a norwood 1? you wouldn't even have known the guy lost hair

I can see he is sweeping his hair across from lateral humps, but non the less, id be over moon with that, and only 3000 grafts

Edited by mlc2010

Looks like he still had a decent amount of native hairs mid-to-back of his scalp, albeit thinning, which would make it look like better density when grown out and long, as well as the fact that he’s combed over a portion of his left natural to give the illusion of greater coverage. Looks like a reasonable expected result given the amount of grafts.

Oh, and layering. 

Edited by VicTNYC

It’s not a Norwood 1, you can see that from the outline of the hairline in the post op shot. Also the after result is just from one angle.

its a massive life changing improvement butbtgis isn’t out of the ordinary for a HT result imo 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Aftermath is right. Once you have a hair transplant you know your angles, this is a good angle for his hair, but no doubt that's a successful hair transplant result.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi mlc, 

You are quite right in assuming that one cannot expect a full head of hair from just 3000 grafts. In fact, the before image may actually be misleading when setting realistic expectations to prospective patients, as someone with a large recipient area to cover may come to believe that one can expect a full head of hair with just 3000 grafts. Moreover, there is a slight color difference in the last picture between the donor zone and the crown area - this may just be a result of the lighting, but it could also be due to hair fibers, one factor that should always be looked into when understand what surgery can do for you. 

Other factors that may impact the result include: color contrast and hair thickness. Each case is unique, with a different set of characteristics, so it is important to take everything into consideration when comparing a result to what you think surgery can do for you. If you look carefully at the before picture, you will see that the there still is a lot of hair in the recipient zone. 3000-3500 grafts should always be enough to cover the frontal third successfully, even for someone with skinny hair. This coupled with existing hair in the mid-scalp and crown would yield a result similar to this, imo. Also take into consideration that the average Norwood 5/6 case has a bald area of approximately 200 cm2. It takes approximately 50 fu/cm2 for a result to look full, however depending on hair characteristics, this may vary. But to be on the conservative side, this amounts to 10,000 grafts (50*200). Many patients do not have 10000 grafts available, so an emphasis is placed on the frontal region, with a lower density in the vertex and crown area. 

It is also important to take into consideration that some patterns look considerably worse than they actually are. For example, many examples with a Norwood 5A hair loss pattern appear very bald in pre-op photos, but as a result of having a significantly smaller recipient area to cover compared o a genuine Norwood 5/6 recipient zone, the results from a successful hair transplant are often stunning. 

I hope this helps and best of luck to you. 

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.