Finasteride Results - 1.5 Years

Stuff works wonders, I am seeing similar results (but also using and doing other things in conjunction) which I am documenting in my own post. I think like most meds you have to stay on it to continue benefits so at some point you'll have to decide weather its worth it or not. I personally do not want to be taking this forever o we shall see. Maybe at some point discontinue daily and take weekly or something like that. The issue with meds is the longer you use the more the chance of side effects.

Enjoy it while it lasts! as far as hair falling out that's normal.

• Thanks 1

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

21 hours ago, shookwon33 said:

oh yeah please let us know. im currently taking 10,000 mg of biotin now and Im starting to think its been making my hair really strong but im not sure if its placebo or not

it was 1000mcg of biotin

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, shookwon33 said:

are you still shedding or things still looking good? @hairlossPA

still shedding but maybe a little bit less. it’s hard to say. i’m still maintaining the illusion. like i said i can definitely notice less density since november. but i hope these hairs that are shedding come back and bring density back up this year 

Congratulations, that is a terrific response to the finasteride! Did you have any adverse reactions to the meds? Will you follow it up with a Capillus Laser cap or PRP/ACELL treatment as well? How about shampooing? Thanks! 

3 hours ago, vinzaf19 said:

Congratulations, that is a terrific response to the finasteride! Did you have any adverse reactions to the meds? Will you follow it up with a Capillus Laser cap or PRP/ACELL treatment as well? How about shampooing? Thanks! 

thank you. i appreciate it. i do not have any side effects. i don’t think i will do a laser cap/comb, however I will look into PRP.

One question to the forum: Is all PRP essentially the same? are there doctors that are better than others when administering the PRP treatment? i don’t think so based off my research. it seems pretty straight forward. What is a good price? $1500 for 3 sessions is what i’ve been seeing

I will be posting monthly updates until 12 months. i hope i see even more results in my mid scalp and hairline. I do think the crown is as good as it’s gonna get but you never know 

Edited by hairlossPA

On 1/7/2019 at 9:54 PM, shookwon33 said:

oh yeah please let us know. im currently taking 10,000 mg of biotin now and Im starting to think its been making my hair really strong but im not sure if its placebo or not

Biotin will indeed have that effect on each individual strand of hair. It won't grow additional hair, but you will certainly see positive effects on your strands of hair and your nails. It's not a placebo and it works to do this very fast. 

On 1/31/2019 at 11:32 AM, hairlossPA said:

idk..? lol. it’s just generic finasteride my doc prescribed me. no affiliation with any HT doc

actually Dr Reddy is a generic Fin which CVS sell. So i thought it must be that one.

Amazing, I think theres a lot to be said for trying the medication for a good 12 -18 months if you're in no rush to have a hair transplant. Your results are certainly proof that the meds really do work! Congrats man 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, HairFunk said:

Amazing, I think theres a lot to be said for trying the medication for a good 12 -18 months if you're in no rush to have a hair transplant. Your results are certainly proof that the meds really do work! Congrats man 

thanks man!

• 2 weeks later...

7.5 month update:

Feeling a little down these past couple of months. I'm still constantly shedding a lot. Nowhere near the hair and density I had in November. Still pushing through each day and hoping things turn around eventually. Hoping that all these hairs I'm losing come back by summer time. Like many that go through hair transplants, it usually gets worse before it gets better...

General question to the community: I know as miniaturization happens, the growth phase is cut shorter and shorter, but does the telogen get cut shorter as well? Or, when the hair sheds, will it always take about 3 months to start a new hair? I'm trying to calculate when hairs I lost in November and December should be growing back.

Hair growth looks good, even though I’m no fan of finasteride I think it’s working well for you at this time, for how long remains to be seen since you are young and in your late 20’s, things could change if your body gets too accustomed and acclimated to the medication and results taper off down the road, but that remains to be seen if you continue use.

I would recommend buying and using an all natural shampoo that contains Saw Plametto (Serenoa Repens) extract in it in conjunction, there are some studies that have shown it can help lessen the amount of DHT in the scalp so may help additionally . I know everyone recommends Nizoral but it can get too harsh on your scalp and hair given all the chemicals and you would need to limit its use.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 9:38 AM, hairlossPA said:

thank you. i appreciate it. i do not have any side effects. i don’t think i will do a laser cap/comb, however I will look into PRP.

One question to the forum: Is all PRP essentially the same? are there doctors that are better than others when administering the PRP treatment? i don’t think so based off my research. it seems pretty straight forward. What is a good price? $1500 for 3 sessions is what i’ve been seeing

I will be posting monthly updates until 12 months. i hope i see even more results in my mid scalp and hairline. I do think the crown is as good as it’s gonna get but you never know 

I’ve heard from several doctors that doing PRP without the ACELL is basically pointless as it won’t give you the results as quickly, or be effective.

• PRP without Acell - 2-3 treatments to see any hair growth.
  • PRP without Acell - needs to be repeated every 4-6 months to maintain results.
  • PRP without Acell - hair growth results are variable.
  • ACell combined with PRP is more expensive but at the same time more effective, with more consistent results, longer lasting much longer than PRP alone.
  • ACell + PRP injection therapy for hair loss is a more technically sophisticated and clinically demanding process than PRP injection alone.

ACell + PRP- 2 treatments 8 wks apart for higher effectiveness of hair growth for individuals with more advanced hair loss. Those with early or minimal hair loss may get the desired results after a single treatment.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:51 AM, hairlossPA said:

7.5 month update:

Feeling a little down these past couple of months. I'm still constantly shedding a lot. Nowhere near the hair and density I had in November. Still pushing through each day and hoping things turn around eventually. Hoping that all these hairs I'm losing come back by summer time. Like many that go through hair transplants, it usually gets worse before it gets better...

General question to the community: I know as miniaturization happens, the growth phase is cut shorter and shorter, but does the telogen get cut shorter as well? Or, when the hair sheds, will it always take about 3 months to start a new hair? I'm trying to calculate when hairs I lost in November and December should be growing back.

Hey bro, yeah trust me this is normal, I remember when I first started on fin the hair loss slowed down, I have been using it consistently for the last 6 years and my hair is consistently falling out, it's a depressing feeling, knowing something works like fin but also knowing it doesn't stay as effective as it once was the longer you choose to use it, the body adapts to it and fights back at it with more force, so you are taking generic fin right? So was I, just recently switched to DUT to see if it halts the hair fall, have you ever thought of going on name brand fin/ propecia? I've read that the name brand version can be more effective... also a lot more expensive though. Hang in there mate.

So having read all this I’m now a bit confused...

Is there a consensus that Fin can actually cause hair loss or additional shedding of native hair?? I thought the whole point of it was to prevent hair loss and keep what was still there. Is it generally accepted that in some men the medication will actually have the opposite of the intended effect??

33 minutes ago, SprayPaint said:

So having read all this I’m now a bit confused...

Is there a consensus that Fin can actually cause hair loss or additional shedding of native hair?? I thought the whole point of it was to prevent hair loss and keep what was still there. Is it generally accepted that in some men the medication will actually have the opposite of the intended effect??

It's common that a "shed" is associated with starting finasteride. Finasteride clearly helped my hair for the first 5 months. Ever since I have been shedding quite a bit. Remains to be seen if these hairs will grow back or if they are lost like they used to be.

On 2/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, hairlossPA said:

7.5 month update:

If you're not having any adverse reaction to the meds in the form of side effects, stay the course. I'm confident your hair will bounce back! I went through various sheds/cycles (been taking generic for ~4 years, my thread/pics in my profile story) which, although not as noticeable due to having good hair when I started, definitely impacted overall density. 

Four years down the road (pics of mine are 1/3 years after starting) I don't regret starting and sticking to fin for a moment, and can't help but wonder how much worse my hair would have been if I hadn't stuck it out. I don't know whether you're currently using minox but (anecdotally) diffusers seem to respond very well to that too.

• Like 1

Most of the strong non-surgical responses do seem to be diffuse thinners. My suspicion is that this is partly because that condition tends to be characterized by a large area of miniaturization rather than "true" baldness and it's generally agreed that miniaturization is easier to reverse than revitalizing dormant follicles on the edge of "death."

I don't recall a large shed on Fin when I started but that was three years ago and I didn't even think or know to look for it at that time. I can tell you that I shed like crazy on Minoxidil for maybe the first three months of application and for a while my hair looked substantially worse. Most of the disaster stories I see of people not recovering from a shed are because they panic and discontinue a medication within a few months. 

General rule of thumb is wait 12-18 months to decide if the meds are working for you. The growth cycle of hair is a long and slow process.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@hairlossPA

Congratulations on being such an impressive responder to Finasteride. Your hair in comparison to the before photos looks great.

Don't feel down. I understand that any backwards steps are difficult and discouraging but ask yourself the question what were you expectations upon starting to take Finasteride. I would feel very confident in saying that whilst you were hoping, you did not realistically expect to respond so well. 

Pre Finasteride, if you would have asked me if you could improve with a transplant and if it could be necessary, I would have said yes. 7 months later without any surgery and no reported sides, you ask me the same question, and I say no. That is pretty amazing.

Remember how far you have come. Don't get down by a step backwards. Positivity is essential in this "game".

Im very pleased for you.

• Thanks 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.