Where can I get a densitometer ?

Hey y’all , I’ve been trying to purchase a densitometer to check my caliber .. does anyone know where to buy one online ? Also have u guys had the clinic check ur hair caliber with one ? I’m trying to see if finasteride is helping my hair retain its diameter . N also to keep an eye one  future  ..  

I’m not sure exactly what type of tool a densitometer is but I believe dr rassman mentions something similar all the time. I’d maybe contact him or his clinic and ask.

i believe hair transplant surgeons use micrometers to measure the thickness of hair. It’s not very accurate however since the hairs distort under pressure.

Its a micrometer you need.

Hair is not perfectly round and can distort as JJ said.  I asked Dr k if he had one and he said all hairs are different so he never bothered to take those readings.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

1 hour ago, 1978matt said:

Its a micrometer you need.

Hair is not perfectly round and can distort as JJ said.  I asked Dr k if he had one and he said all hairs are different so he never bothered to take those readings.

If Dr Konior is saying that I'd say there is your answer right there.

I’m not sure if the name .. but it’s the tool the clinics use to measure the hair caliber .  That’s how they know what micron ur hair strand is .. I had to get doctor hasson to borrow the densitometer from Doctor Wong to check my hair caliber .. they cut off a strand of hair n place it on a pencil like tool .. n it digitally tells u what micron the hair is .. Asmed clinic use it also .. dr rassman has one .. not many clinics use these tools .. they don’t want to spend time with those things during consultation .. they rather  give u graft count n hairline design so they can  get u in the chair n make money .. I always appreciated dr rassman clinic , they have the hair check test , n densitometer .. they can calculate how much hair U have , what caliber it is , n where u thinning .. so u can develop a master plan for further hairloss .. rather than eyeballing it n guessing .. I can do that myself .. 

Edited by Legend007

@Legend007 You can go get get some bloodwork for a DHT test to see what your levels are on finasteride to know its working properly. Have you done this yet? I have mine scheduled for next week to see if my DHT levels are suppressed below normal ranges now that Ive been on finasteride for 2.5 months now

I purchased mine at Radio Shak some years ago...you may want to check there.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY