FUE ARTAS 1,837 grafts done over one session with Dr. Rosanelli

This patient had a total of 1,837 grafts done over one session with Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) method using the ARTAS robotics.

The grafts were planted in the following areas:

Hairline, 750 grafts

Frontal Scalp, 837 grafts

Right Temple, 125 grafts

Left Temple, 125 grafts

Photos shown below are pre op, and 9 months post op.

Before:

1592003986_Before(1).JPG.fe286b20caf07bb9721e7721e7fb1408.JPG

After:

1476539348_After(1).JPG.ca943d3e60da8bd22a36256f96d2229c.JPG

Before:

IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.d0b0572d5083003c3e639d4a8d57d0b3.JPG

After:

370102160_After(3).JPG.19ac7e44a69c1130038ba0e73b2f1f8c.JPG

Before:

IMG_1238.thumb.JPG.b56bf6660d9a635dfba2a286ceefb4f6.JPG

After:

IMG_6178.thumb.JPG.486e3f65d5cf3b308ff2e2e093a08f8b.JPG

IMG_6164.thumb.JPG.0302b73cf2887147cbda3e9c144c834e.JPG

Before:

IMG_1232.thumb.JPG.b32f4f2aa12134a174ec9805bbfe4b8c.JPG

After:

IMG_6168.thumb.JPG.373857f625f63b401fbdcbf331855053.JPG

IMG_6165.thumb.JPG.2fde0124e209f891b34d25ab6d2b70cb.JPG

Edited by Dr.Thomas Rosanelli

Dr. Thomas Rosanelli

7 hours ago, PeloDinero said:

I’m sorry but why even post this? This result is a joke and has no place alongside today’s technology. 

I suspect the mods will chastise you for saying this, but you're 100% right this is a plainly bad result. Probably less than a few hundred grafts of growth, and there doesn't seem to be distinction between multis and singles in the hairline either.

Hard to think a clinic deserves recommendation when they think this is worth showcasing.

1 hour ago, PeloDinero said:

My issue with this result is that a first time prospective patient may see this post and think this is the level of quality one should expect. It does no good in informing patients of what is really possible. 

What I’m struggling with here is the Dr is showcasing this as an example of his/machine’s fine work, baffling. It would put you off having surgery. 

In my opinion ARTAS is used by amateurs. And doctors who have no idea how to perform FUE. Maybe one day robots will be useful in hair restoration, but the technology just isn't ready. This isn't me speaking, this is feedback from doctors in the industry. I personally know a few guys who were damaged by the robot, their donor areas depleted. Sadly they have no options.

Here's a story, I knew a girl once who was friends with a hair transplant Dr. When she told me he offered the robot, I said the doctor is an amateur and a few other choice words. She got a little defensive but then I explained the facts, and the robots limitations. Then I asked her to call the doctor and say her dad wants a hair transplant using ARTAS. The doctors response, he recommended not getting the robot because because she was his friend. I wonder if she was his friend, what is recommendation would've been.

It's a sad reality but if you look really close you'll notice that most of the doctors who use ARTAS are part-time hair transplant doctors. That says something.

1800 grafts seems way light for this guy to begin with. He still has a few months to grow so who knows. The mistake here imo is the amount of grafts used. 

The doctor should post donor area before after as well. . 

My first consultation was with a doctor who used the Artas. I was underwhelmed. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• Administrators

I’m saddened to see behavior like this encouraged and applauded. Where is the respect? 

The forum is about engaging in thoughtful debate and asking questions that require a thoughtful response.  Take away the fact that some posters have never posted their results and have obvious biases and would never speak to their surgeon or about their surgeon this way. It’s easy to talk down on someone else’s results when you don’t have the courage to post your own. 

I’m not saying you can’t voice your opinion, quite the contrary. I want and encourage everyone to share their genuine thoughts and concerns. However, to simply call a result a joke, does nothing for engaging in a conversation or debate. 

How about stating what you see wrong with the results. How about asking for improved pictures, pictures with graft placement, whether or not the patient is on medication therapy. In fact, state the reasons why you feel a certain surgical technique or tool is inferior for x, y and z reasons. 

Ultimately, this is how the forum works and how it has advanced the hair restoration industry. Years ago when the heated debate of FUE vs FUT happened, there was valuable information that was provided on the forum. While there were insults and mud flinging, there was also well thought out responses and rebuttals. This ultimately enlightened and informed many prospective patients visiting the site. Remember those who post are a small number compared to those who simply visit and read the site. Abrasive and rude comments like “results a joke” do nothing for anyone reading.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, HairLossMentor said:

In my opinion ARTAS is used by amateurs. And doctors who have no idea how to perform FUE. Maybe one day robots will be useful in hair restoration, but the technology just isn't ready. This isn't me speaking, this is feedback from doctors in the industry. I personally know a few guys who were damaged by the robot, their donor areas depleted. Sadly they have no options.

Here's a story, I knew a girl once who was friends with a hair transplant Dr. When she told me he offered the robot, I said the doctor is an amateur and a few other choice words. She got a little defensive but then I explained the facts, and the robots limitations. Then I asked her to call the doctor and say her dad wants a hair transplant using ARTAS. The doctors response, he recommended not getting the robot because because she was his friend. I wonder if she was his friend, what is recommendation would've been.

It's a sad reality but if you look really close you'll notice that most of the doctors who use ARTAS are part-time hair transplant doctors. That says something.

Thanks for a well thought out post with your sincere observations. While I agree somewhat, I have seen good results with Artas. Ultimately, I feel it comes down to those operating the machine. If it’s part time hair transplant surgeons, the results are likely going to reflect that. In fact, probably worse if they used manual FUE

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

13 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’m saddened to see behavior like this encouraged and applauded. Where is the respect? 

The forum is about engaging in thoughtful debate and asking questions that require a thoughtful response.  Take away the fact that some posters have never posted their results and have obvious biases and would never speak to their surgeon or about their surgeon this way. It’s easy to talk down on someone else’s results when you don’t have the courage to post your own. 

I’m not saying you can’t voice your opinion, quite the contrary. I want and encourage everyone to share their genuine thoughts and concerns. However, to simply call a result a joke, does nothing for engaging in a conversation or debate. 

How about stating what you see wrong with the results. How about asking for improved pictures, pictures with graft placement, whether or not the patient is on medication therapy. In fact, state the reasons why you feel a certain surgical technique or tool is inferior for x, y and z reasons. 

Ultimately, this is how the forum works and how it has advanced the hair restoration industry. Years ago when the heated debate of FUE vs FUT happened, there was valuable information that was provided on the forum. While there were insults and mud flinging, there was also well thought out responses and rebuttals. This ultimately enlightened and informed many prospective patients visiting the site. Remember those who post are a small number compared to those who simply visit and read the site. Abrasive and rude comments like “results a joke” do nothing for anyone reading.

I’m one of those posters that you refer to that hasn’t had surgery yet, does that preclude me from commenting??!! 

• Administrators
Just now, Raker said:

I’m one of those posters that you refer to that hasn’t had surgery yet, does that preclude me from commenting??!! 

I didn’t refer to you in my post. I stated there is a way to post and engage other members and physicians in debate and discussions. I have never told anyone not to comment. 

View my thread

Guys, since when did this become an elementary school childhood playground? This is a respectable hair restoration forum  created by patients, for patients. And shall I remind everyone that it’s for adults? 

I agree the result presented isn’t one of those “wow“, super impressive results that shakes the earth like we’ve seen from others. However, this particular patient only received 1837 grafts over a diffuse thinning area and frankly, this is exactly what I would expect for this type of procedure and result. 

No, this is not a failure, it is not a bad result or poor growth. It is exactly what anybody should expect from 1837 grafts.  

But what I’m mostly concerned about  is the baiting from JJ towards Melvin into potentially warning someone about their behavior and discussing the possibility of suspension. 

We don’t ban people for sharing their genuine opinions, good or bad. However, I agree with Melvin that it is a sad day when the adult members of this community can’t be respect full when presenting their opinions. 

If I were to post my opinion as a patient member on this particular result, I would say something like the following in a respectful way… 

“To be honest, I’m not overly impressed with these results and I can’t help but wonder why this particular patient only had 1800 grafts considering it’s obvious that he requires more to achieve any real level of fullness and density.   So I’d like to ask the doctor to further explain why only 1800 grafts were transplanted as I’m sure there is a logical explanation for this.”

The above is an example of stating that I’m not real impressed while being respectful and giving the surgeon the benefit of the doubt and even asking why only a small number of grafts were transplanted. 

And then JJ comes along baiting Melvin  as if he would be in the wrong to consider such actions. 

I’ll tell you all now, I appreciate everyone’s genuine opinion and to be honest, I’m not overly wowed by this particular result either. However, not every single result is or will be a homerun as some are simply singles or doubles.   In some cases, patients require more than one procedure to meet their ultimate goals and final results. I suspect a long-term plan was discussed in this particular case and I’m sure the patient knows that if he wants the kind of density and fullness others have achieved that he will need to go back for more.   But that doesn’t make this result of failure. It’s just an intermediate state between procedures. 

I would expect the veteran members of this community to understand this simple concept however, some of you who are new are or have been spoiled by seeing “wow” results in a single session may not realize that not every patient is going to experience this. 

For example, my hair transplant journey was a work in progress up until the third session and the fourth session really finished it off. Even still, some may tell me that it’s not perfect because I still have thinning in the crown and above the occipital ridge.  And that’s OK, not everybody has to love my results but… I would expect people to be respectful towards me just as I’m sure this patient would want respect also. And perhaps he is even observing these remarks and if I were him, I’d certainly be discouraged and upset by what people are saying even though he has no reason to be.

Please remember when you are replying, that you aren’t just showing respect for the doctor, but for the actual patient being shown in the results.  

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As an example, “hair loss mentor“ presented his opinion Both truthfully and respectfully. I happen to share his opinion as well. It does seem to me that the most impressive FUE results come from surgeons using manual or simpler motorized devices rather than fancy, expensive machines like the NeoGraft, SmartGraft or ARTAS.    Now, there are some exceptions to that rule as I’ve seen some pretty impressive results from physician members of our community using some of the fancier machines. But it does go to show that the skill and experience of the surgeon is paramount over the type of device or machine they use. 

Bill

4 minutes ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

As an example, “hair loss mentor“ presented his opinion Both truthfully and respectfully. I happen to share his opinion as well. It does seem to me that the most impressive FUE results come from surgeons using manual or simpler motorized devices rather than fancy, expensive machines like the NeoGraft, SmartGraft or ARTAS.    Now, there are some exceptions to that rule as I’ve seen some pretty impressive results from physician members of our community using some of the fancier machines. But it does go to show that the skill and experience of the surgeon is paramount over the type of device or machine they use. 

Bill

As you share his opinion, are we now saying as quoted by HLM that all surgeons that use ARTAS are amateurs or doctors that can’t perform FUE? Just asking. 

25 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I didn’t refer to you in my post. I stated there is a way to post and engage other members and physicians in debate and discussions. I have never told anyone not to comment. 

You referred to posters that never posted their results, that includes me. Is it mandatory? 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Raker said:

You referred to posters that never posted their results, that includes me. Is it mandatory? 

I wasn’t referring to someone who hasn’t had a procedure yet. It’s not mandatory to post your pictures or results. However, be mindful that most surgeons notify their patients that they will be posting their results on the forum. How would you feel if people were referring to your results this way? 

Some of you may misconstrue what I’m saying as a defense for the surgeons, but in fact, as a patient advocate it’s my responsibility to defend the patients. I’ve posted my results on this forum long before I was ever a moderator.

As someone who’s struggled with hair loss I know how much words and comments can affect someone. These results are attached to a person. No one here would appreciate their results being talked about like this. If you plan on having surgery and not post your pictures, which is your right. Be mindful of those who have the courage to post their own results for the benefit of others, that’s my final response on the issue. 

• Like 1

View my thread

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I wasn’t referring to someone who hasn’t had a procedure yet. It’s not mandatory to post your pictures or results. However, be mindful that most surgeons notify their patients that they will be posting their results on the forum. How would you feel if people were referring to your results this way? 

Some of you may misconstrue what I’m saying as a defense for the surgeons, but in fact, as a patient advocate it’s my responsibility to defend the patients. I’ve posted my results on this forum long before I was ever a moderator.

As someone who’s struggled with hair loss I know how much words and comments can affect someone. These results are attached to a person. No one here would appreciate their results being talked about like this. If you plan on having surgery and not post your pictures, which is your right. Be mindful of those who have the courage to post their own results for the benefit of others, that’s my final response on the issue. 

Come early 2019 I’m more than happy to post my results, it’s only fair that members have the opportunity to submit their opinion, negative or positive, I’m good with either. I understand your dilemma - forum member versus fee paying surgeon but there are many examples (not one offs) when this site is promoting fee paying surgeons with subpar results, time to address this problem. 

These results are attached to a person. No one here would appreciate their results being talked about like this.

@Bill - Managing Publisher does have a point here. Being a repair patient myself it really struck home. Though many of us have an issue with ARTAS. In the end, we need to have each others back and support each other. We're all in this together. We all know what each is going through. It's a great feeling knowing where not alone. 

Re: ARTAS/smart/neo-graft... in my opinion, even in the hands of an expert, each machine has limitations. Some more than others.

These machines have set the industry back 10, 20 years in my opinion. They took the specialization out of hair restoration. And we are headed for a wave of unhappy guys.

Take ARTAS...my issue is the punch size, transection, and the robots ability to harvest the donor area. Guys run the risk of over harvesting. 

As for amature doctors using ARTAS, if you look at who is using it, most are part-time docs. A couple of full-time docs own it for marketing purposes. But don't use it. Too many limitations.

Sadly, I met a 24 year guy last week. He had 2100+ grafts harvested with neo-graft. His hairline is a mess. The docs a cosmetic surgeon who never actually performed a hair transplant before. Or very few. Crazy. But that's the new reality.

Watch a video, take a course, and you're harvesting 3000 FUE the next day. That's scary.

14 hours ago, Raker said:

As you share his opinion, are we now saying as quoted by HLM that all surgeons that use ARTAS are amateurs or doctors that can’t perform FUE? Just asking. 

You either don’t know how to read or are an inherent trouble maker.  Didn’t you read what I wrote?  Again I said - 

Now, there are some exceptions to that rule as I’ve seen some pretty impressive results from physician members of our community using some of the fancier machines. But it does go to show that the skill and experience of the surgeon is paramount over the type of device or machine they use. “

if you continue twisting my words or Melvin’s I’m going to assume that you’re here only to stir the pot and poison the well - and we will have to suspend your posting privileges. 

Bill

The problem here isn't just that the result shows virtually no growth or distinction between mutligrafts and singles in the hairline, but rather that the clinic thought it was an acceptable representation of what is achievable as they were the ones that posted it, because its not even close. It is ultimately misleading to potential and current patients, as well as being poor marketing in general.

To pretend that 2000 grafts here grew is plainly dishonest, you can also easily see that there are virtually as many doubles as singles in the hairline:

image.thumb.png.bd039a1f1121a4e54c395f9ddab3b46d.png

image.thumb.png.af21157f1141edf70f4e357d0d84a7ae.png

Its not a great deal different in density or approach than old style hair plugs. Aside from the result, the approach is clearly not even in the same universe as the average FUE result of many top FUE surgeons here, Feriduni, Cooley, Erdogan, Hasson/Wong, Rahal etc.

Certainly it can be deemed distasteful to criticise a result as it is attached to a person, but presumably if this has been posted here by the clinic they have given permission. More importantly, the forum isn't for the sake of one persons feelings (who quite frankly is better off knowing the truth), but rather future potential patients. If you told a potential patient this is what was an acceptable expected result in terms of cosmetic improvement, virtually no one would have hair transplants. Everyone is aware of the problems of the ARTAS, a standardised approach that still has countless examples (the majority I see on here) that are below par, overly large punch sizes, serious issues with donor depletion and scarring, lack of natural appearing irregularity in extraction area etc.

I can virtually guarantee that even if you offered to PAY the admins or any top posters here $5000 to have a 1500+  graft procedure with the ARTAS they wouldn't do it. The reality is that results like this are give a bad rep to other surgeons on the network also. For exclusivity and ideal of state of the art hair transplantation to be maintained in the forums recommendations, it should live up to that. I guarantee many potential doctors that might want to be represented here would be put off by a result like this by a recommended surgeon, it goes well beyond just a poor yield.

• Thanks 1