How Many Of You Use Minoxidil

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

So how many of you guys actually use Minoxidil? What kind of benefit have you guys been experiencing? I have been using it for going close to 5 years now. To be honest, I think it has benefited me a lot, I have noticed my hair thickness has improved and I shed less all around. I'd like to hear your guys input and your experiences.

How Rogaine Works To Treat Hair Loss

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have been using it and fin for 9 years.  I seem to be holding steady, so I'm afraid to do anything different. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

Yea like the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Have you guys heard about this so-called "minoxidil dependent" hair, I don't understand this theory. Supposedly, minoxidil makes hair that wouldn't be affected by DHT dependent to minoxidil. This sounds like bro-science to me, but I would like to hear from those who think this is true.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

The "Minoxidil dependent" hair sounds like broscience to me as well.

That term actually worried me when I quit using Minoxidil a few years ago, but after quitting I haven't noticed any difference.

For me, Minoxidil was to difficult to apply 2x/day (or even 1x/day) while using concealers (i.e., Dermmatch and Toppik).

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, baldlivesmatter said:

The "Minoxidil dependent" hair sounds like broscience to me as well.

That term actually worried me when I quit using Minoxidil a few years ago, but after quitting I haven't noticed any difference.

For me, Minoxidil was to difficult to apply 2x/day (or even 1x/day) while using concealers (i.e., Dermmatch and Toppik).

You should use minoxidil at night, it actually makes concealers like Toppik bind much easier. I use less concealer in my crown the day after I applied minoxidil. Try it out.

View my thread

I actually used to use Rogaine foam and when I did, I actually felt that the hair in my crown appeared thicker. Now I’m not sure if it’s because the foam is a volumizer,  or if it was really working for me but I know that it works for a lot of people. But I did decide to stop using it years ago and I think that my hair and the crown got a little thinner  and all that’s left in the crown now is transplanted hair.  

Bottom line is, I think minoxidil is a good product but be prepared to use it forever if you’re going to continue benefiting from it. Same as Propecia / Finasteride. 

Bill

I have been using fin for about 5 years and also minoxidil for around the same time. When it comes to minoxidil I found that it does act as a hair thickener as Bill alluded to, I think with consistent prolonged use it can slow down the progression of balding, similarly to how fin does as well. I am quite worried at the moment actually because I am finding for the last year or so my hair has continued to fall out and thin even though I am using both of these, I really don't know what to do... I really want to halt or slow down my hair loss before doing my HT so that I don't just progressively worsen after my HT... any tips or advice of what I can do guys? Would be much appreciated... I might make a thread about it actually.

26 minutes ago, Kiwi Guy said:

I have been using fin for about 5 years and also minoxidil for around the same time. When it comes to minoxidil I found that it does act as a hair thickener as Bill alluded to, I think with consistent prolonged use it can slow down the progression of balding, similarly to how fin does as well. I am quite worried at the moment actually because I am finding for the last year or so my hair has continued to fall out and thin even though I am using both of these, I really don't know what to do... I really want to halt or slow down my hair loss before doing my HT so that I don't just progressively worsen after my HT... any tips or advice of what I can do guys? Would be much appreciated... I might make a thread about it actually.

You might want to consider Dutasteride (brand name Avodart) it also blocks the male hormone DHT but would appear to be more potent than Finasteride, although it’s not FDA approved. Like all drugs it will come with potential risk, worth doing your homework on. 

19 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You should use minoxidil at night, it actually makes concealers like Toppik bind much easier. I use less concealer in my crown the day after I applied minoxidil. Try it out.

Interesting idea.

Not looking to fuck around with my regimen right now since i'm going under the knife next week and don't want to shock my system more than necessary.

Provided I get good results, and no longer need to rely on concealers as much (or hopefully at all) adding minoxidil back into the regimen seems like a good idea. 

9 hours ago, Raker said:

You might want to consider Dutasteride (brand name Avodart) it also blocks the male hormone DHT but would appear to be more potent than Finasteride, although it’s not FDA approved. Like all drugs it will come with potential risk, worth doing your homework on. 

Where do you get Dutasteride?

Assuming a doc won't prescribe it if it's not FDA approved for hair loss...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The real question here is, for those of you using Minox and seeing results, are you also using Fin/Dut? Cus then it's hard to tell which one is benefiting you most, and I would suspect it's fin/dut.

I ask because I tried fin and had very bad sides, so, despite it working well on my hair, it is off my list of options. I keep wavering on the idea of Min, as I'm dreading the shed, and I also worry it would actually make my hair look thinner, giving it that wet appearance. But I don't know, it's kinda the only option left to me at this point. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, BaronVonHairline said:

The real question here is, for those of you using Minox and seeing results, are you also using Fin/Dut? Cus then it's hard to tell which one is benefiting you most, and I would suspect it's fin/dut.

I ask because I tried fin and had very bad sides, so, despite it working well on my hair, it is off my list of options. I keep wavering on the idea of Min, as I'm dreading the shed, and I also worry it would actually make my hair look thinner, giving it that wet appearance. But I don't know, it's kinda the only option left to me at this point. 

I don’t use finasteride either, so far minoxidil had worked well for me. 

View my thread

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t use finasteride either, so far minoxidil had worked well for me. 

Melvin- how long did u use minoxidil before u had surgery? I used it for more than a decade and dr hasson told me he would have to implant on me at a lower density and stagger the surgery over two sessions. His reasoning was that people who use minoxidil for long periods of time have less collagen production due to the minox. This results in scalp skin that is weak and thin and will collapse when incisions are placed too closely together. Super confused about this

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, jj51702 said:

Melvin- how long did u use minoxidil before u had surgery? I used it for more than a decade and dr hasson told me he would have to implant on me at a lower density and stagger the surgery over two sessions. His reasoning was that people who use minoxidil for long periods of time have less collagen production due to the minox. This results in scalp skin that is weak and thin and will collapse when incisions are placed too closely together. Super confused about this

I used it for about a year or two before surgery. I’ve never heard of minoxidil use affecting incision sites. I mean you could always supplement collagen. I’ve been on it for 5 years now and I haven’t noticed any difference. 

View my thread

I had my HT 5 days ago and have never used minoxidil before (i'm 27 years old). My HT surgeon has recommended I use it on my transplanted area only for 6 months post-op and to then stop it....it's my choice whether to continue using it beyond 6 months, but he has said I don't need to.

I have thin hair and my 2036 graft HT was for my hairline and mid scalp region. While I will use minoxidil as recommended by my surgeon for the 6 months on my transplanted area, I'm tossing up whether to 1) continue using it beyond the 6 months and 2) try it on my crown too, which is very thin and was not operated on.

I've been on Finasteride for nearly 5 months now, started it before my HT to minimise permanent shock loss. No sides, everything OK so far, though I've gone through a large shed in these 5 months. For now, I do intend to use it long term if I continue reacting to it fine...

@Melvin-Moderator

What's your opinion on using Minox post-HT on my transplanted region for 6 months ONLY, and then stopping it entirely? The major point to consider here, is that my grafts have been transplanted in between existing native hair, therefore if I apply minox on my transplanted region, that also means I will be applying it on my native hair...…..from my understanding, my native hair would shed once I stop using it at the 6 month mark, right?