Comparing 2 HT Consult Recommendations Which Makes Better Sense ? 

Just comparing 2 completely different doctors recommendations Dr. Resul Yaman vs Dr. Rahal and looking to get some discussion and feedback going on here 

Dr.Rahal recommends doing only the front for now with 3k grafts and then goes on to recommend a SMP for the mid and crown area along with PRP  both of course at an added cost tipping the scales at around 20k USD ?

Dr.Yaman recommends 4k spread across with 2k up front 1k mid and 1k crown at a total cost of about 5k USD PRP included ?

Dr. Resul Yaman.jpg

Dr. Rahal.JPG

The focus should not be the money (you can discuss this later) but the treatment plan: Distribute the grafts or focus on the front.

Without more Info (age, meds, family history, etc.) no one has a chance to advice you which plan is the better one.

If the plans are so different between two clinic, I recommend to get a third opinion and consult a clinic F2F. 

One comment: Regarding hairlines Rahal is easily on the level with H&W IMO. 

i personally like what Dr. Rahal does more. I would do the 3k in the front. hold onto what you can in the crown and do that 2 years from now. but I do remember you saying you want to knock it all out in one shot. of that is the case, I’d go with erdogan... can’t get much better than him with mega sessions on the whole head 

• Administrators

20K is nothing when you’re investing in yourself. You can’t even buy a honda civic for that price. People are quick to splurge on cars that depreciate as soon as you drive off the lot, but cheap when it comes to themselves. I agree with Gas money shouldn’t be the focus. With that said, I’ve seen some incredible results from both doctors, so it comes down to preference. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

I don't know if 2000 in the front is going to be enough for that area unless you're OK with it being a little thin. If you really want to get the crown covered then you may have to go with the lower number in front though. I would skip the SMP either way.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

If the crown isn't the most important thing right now: I'd prioritize the hairline and midscalp; maybe even add more grafts to those regions.

Both clinics have posted really good results lately so it's a matter of how soon they can fit you in.

One thing you also have to keep in mind is the travel cost. I don't believe either clinic pays for your airfare and assuming you want to stay an extra few days to recuperate then that would be an additional out of pocket expense. Both clinics are out of the US; for Dr Rahal I believe all you need is your passport; for Dr Yaman do you need a visa or can you get a visa upon landing?

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

It is great if money is not an issue, but money is an issue to most folks.  Logically if one cannot pay cash for the procedure they should wait until they can.  Deferred gratification is not often easy, but it is always welcome.  If you have 2 choices of a 20 k car or a 20 k transplant, wouldn't it be wiser to buy a 5 k car and find a lower priced transplant.  Better yet pay 5 k for the car and take the money you would have been spending on a car payment and devote that towards the transplant.  This would require you to wait until you can pay cash. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

4 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

You miss the point. First you need a plan and the you look for the right clinic which matches this plan and is within your budget.

For how many people does a 20k transplant make sense?  How many of these 'Elite' clinics are grossly overpriced, but nobody will say anything because they have been called 'Elite'.  People are afraid to rock the boat, and they have taken the ability to control prices from the public and handed it to the doctors.  Boycott the doctor and he will return to reasonable prices.  Pay Less shoes showed how gullible people are by opening Palessi store in California and charging 10 to 20 times as much for their shoes, and the people were raving about what a great buy they got. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

You'll for sure get maximum density with a hair transplant/SMP combo.

Based on your hair loss pattern, I would be very careful about transplanting into the crown. It's a black hole. And if you start now, and your hair loss progresses, your screwed. 

Personally I would focus on the front, thicken things up with SMP and get on meds to keep what I have. Maybe even, if lucky, meds will thicken vellus hairs in the crown. I seen it time and time again where the crown bothers guys-but not so much after the fronts been transplanted and their style and their hair again.

I don't think I'll ever touch the crown in my case, focus on the front, style my hair again, look good, feel good-that's what it's really about. Framing your face is key. And the hairline will do just that. Besides, it's more socially acceptable to have a thinning crown, or slightly thinning crown, as you get older. Hell, just having hair in your head is a leg up on most guys.

Keep in mind, PRP is only useful at this stage to speed the healing process. If your goal is to save miniaturized hairs, then you want to look at Propecia. Not sure what your goal is?

Re: price… Keep in mind that Rahal is Canadian dollars, that's around $14,000 USD. Not $19,000 USD. If you're looking at price, your cheapest option is Canada by far, thanks the exchange-rate.

Edited by HairLossMentor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

For how many people does a 20k transplant make sense?  How many of these 'Elite' clinics are grossly overpriced, but nobody will say anything because they have been called 'Elite'. ….

What you "babble" here has nth to do with the topic. I am sure there are thousands of topics regarding pricing of aesthetic surgeries. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

What you "babble" here has nth to do with the topic. I am sure there are thousands of topics regarding pricing of aesthetic surgeries. 

20k was one of the mentioned prices and it was even supported in one case. 

When two credible surgeons recommend two completely different approaches, I personally find a lot of value in the "why" of it all. I would go to each doctor and discuss the situation, explain that you got a second opinion, let them know what the other surgeon recommended, and then listen to their reasoning why they think their approach is better for you... You'll learn a lot about the specifics of your situation and be able to assess which approach you feel more comfortable with. And who knows, they may even validate the other surgeon's recommendation and understand the value of that approach, while still standing by their own initial recommendation. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

7 hours ago, pkipling said:

When two credible surgeons recommend two completely different approaches, I personally find a lot of value in the "why" of it all. 

+1 This, and/or get a third opinion. 

8 hours ago, Dazed said:

20k was one of the mentioned prices and it was even supported in one case. 

One last time: The point mentioned was, that price should not (!) be the decision maker but the focus has to be the different approaches of the two clinics. Once you understand the background, and find the right way forward to your (!) problem then (!) you can focus on the price (Discuss a discount, discuss a payment plan, discuss with other (!) clinics, etc.). 

Regardless, the mentioned price is not extraordinary for top clinics I north America. The are plenty of threads about price structure in different countries and depending on the working model. 

2 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

+1 This, and/or get a third opinion. 

One last time: The point mentioned was, that price should not (!) be the decision maker but the focus has to be the different approaches of the two clinics. Once you understand the background, and find the right way forward to your (!) problem then (!) you can focus on the price (Discuss a discount, discuss a payment plan, discuss with other (!) clinics, etc.). 

Regardless, the mentioned price is not extraordinary for top clinics I north America. The are plenty of threads about price structure in different countries and depending on the working model. 

Just because someone said the price should not be a determining factor does not make it so.  Selecting the procedure and then figuring out how to pay for it has disastrous consequences for financial stability.  I just don't like the Starbucks mentality that justifies overpaying just for a name.

• Like 1

It appears that you are not only dazed but also confused or at least you have difficulties to understand the topic. 

This two procedures do NOT have a big price difference per se. #of grafts is similar but the distribution is different. The price difference is due to one clinic is a well known one in Canada and the other a newer one in turkey. He could have either one at either clinic, hence you are not only wrong but also out of topic. 

• Like 2

@pkipling

When two credible surgeons recommend two completely different approaches, I personally find a lot of value in the "why" of it all. 

Dr. Rahal's recommendation is based on experience and setting the patient up for long-term success. That's the "why." To transplant into the crown, especially such a small number of grafts, and especially since his hair loss will progress, shows lack of experience. I'm not against transplanting the crown. But these days we have options like SMP, which is great at creating the illusion of density-which is really all you can achieve anyway. The responsible thing to do do here is to transplant the front, SMP for the crown, and the big three to thicken vellus hairs. Period.

There are a lot of things you need to look at when choosing a hair transplant Dr. it's not just about the technical, it's about experience and knowing what to do or what not to do. Option two is a great example of what not to do.

PS. I forgot to mention shock loss. A lot of those hairs are fine and wispy, meaning there on their way out. These are the hairs most susceptible to shock loss. There is a real danger that if you transplant into the crown, things will turn out worse, look worse. Experienced doctors go into an area planning for shock loss. And since were dealing with the crown, that's not the case here. Just another reason "why." I hope this helps man.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:15 PM, Dazed said:

For how many people does a 20k transplant make sense?  How many of these 'Elite' clinics are grossly overpriced, but nobody will say anything because they have been called 'Elite'.  People are afraid to rock the boat, and they have taken the ability to control prices from the public and handed it to the doctors.  Boycott the doctor and he will return to reasonable prices.  Pay Less shoes showed how gullible people are by opening Palessi store in California and charging 10 to 20 times as much for their shoes, and the people were raving about what a great buy they got. 

I paid 20k for two procedures with Rahal. And you know what? I would personally pay three times that much for the result he gave me. The guy is a rock star of hair restoration and I actually told him the last time I saw him that he should charge more!  I would be more than happy to pay it for his level of skill / expertise. 

Hey bro, do you know if you're consultation recommendations are actually from Dr Rahal and Dr Yaman themselves or members of their teams? From what I'm reading often times the recommendations are rough and when you meet the actual surgeons they have a varied opinion from what you originally get recommended, that's why I ask.

42 minutes ago, Kiwi Guy said:

Hey bro, do you know if you're consultation recommendations are actually from Dr Rahal and Dr Yaman themselves or members of their teams? From what I'm reading often times the recommendations are rough and when you meet the actual surgeons they have a varied opinion from what you originally get recommended, that's why I ask.

Both said they ran it by the doctor and that was the doctors recommendation . If I chose to go with Rahal I definitely would take a trip up there to do a inperson consult before I commit to anything. 

2 minutes ago, Markee said:

Both said they ran it by the doctor and that was the doctors recommendation . If I chose to go with Rahal I definitely would take a trip up there to do a inperson consult before I commit to anything. 

Yeah that's a really safe idea, just in case his recommendation changes for whatever reason.