Norwood 6 Thinking About Hair Transplant. Need help

A little background about me started losing my hair at 25 with progressive thinning on top. Few years later had SMP done which helped a ton but it has its limits. My question is can I achieve a military style hairstyle (transplant hair from the vertex to frontal area) with FUE? Or is FUT/ FUSS the only option for me. Meeting with Dr. Cooley next month.

If you want to have a very short hairstyle post op, then FUE is the way to go as Triple7 says. Even the best strip scar is likely to show at those lengths. Put some pics up so we can advise you better.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• Administrators

What guard do you plan on using on the sides? With strip you can't go below #3 guard. With FUE you can go #1 and sometimes zero guard depending on how well you scar. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Knightr007 said:

@Melvin-Moderator it doesn't really matter if I can achieve good results/coverage with FUT. What my question is, is it possible to achieve a hair style like this with FUE. If I'm going to have a thin/bald spot in the back with FUT I would op for FUE option.

Screenshot_20181227-143051_Google.jpg

No the sides are way too short for any surgery. Forget about hair restoration if you want to shave the sides of your scalp. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

With any hair transplant, there is scarring. So it’s really about if that scarring bothers you or not. For example, I know guys who had strip and it doesn’t bother them if they go short at the sides and back. Other guys, bothers the shit out of them and they will leave their hair a little longer.

Same thing with FUE. Punch size plays a role, especially if the doctor is using a 1 mm punch. Avoid these guys like the plague. Even with the small punch though, you’re still looking at some scarring-and depending on how you heal, scars may or may not be visible.

So that’s the question...

If someone is standing behind you and they notice some FUE scars, will it bother you? If yes forget about a hair transplant, especially if you want to go that short. But if you’re OK with your donor area not being perfect, and the chance that scarring will be visible... that changes things.

SMP is also an option to conceal the scars. You probably know, SMP was originally developed for guys who wet shave, they shave that close every day. So in your case, it would be most effective, especially since you want to go that short. 

Now the front, that’s a different story...

Without knowing your hair loss history, use of medications, and other details, it’s tough to say. Just keep in mind, as you know with SMP, hair transplants do you have limitations.

Just make sure you’re OK with those limitations. It’s not as cut and dry as people think. Hope this helps man.

Edited by HairLossMentor

@HairLossMentor thanks for the advice! I don't mind a scar and like you said SMP could conceal the scar. Currently not on any meds idk if I want to be on fin for the rest of my life. I'm meeting with Dr. Cooley next month I want to see his medical opinion. I'm realistically a Norwood 6 and my grandpa on mother side was bald at an early age however on my dad side he is still a Norwood 1. Got to love genetics

@Knightr007 Let me know how goes man. Not sure if you’re leaning towards strip or  FUE? The reason I ask is because SMP works best on FUE scars when your head is shaved to the bone. Strip scars are hit and miss. Really boils down to if they are level or not. Keep me posted on the doc rec. Good luck buddy.

It definitely wouldn't work at that length with an FUT, the strip scar would be way too visible for your liking I'd say bro, best to look at the best FUE surgeons and even then you'd be like at a 1 or 2 guard on the sides, it's just what to expect after a HT, you have the right look for a receding hairline anyway man, so don't stress it too much, do what makes you happy too though!

I think you look fine in your pics. I have never seen anyone up close who had SMP but yours looks good in your pics. I wouldn’t get any type of transplant if you want to shave the donor area. The scaring will be noticeable and will most likely bother you. If you are willing to keep your hair a little longer (2-3 guard) then I think you would be happy with FUE. See what Dr. Cooley has to say. He is top notch and will shoot you straight.