Do You Guys Feel A Difference Between Generic and Brand Name Propecia?

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

I have heard so many stories about how some guys started losing so much hair after switching to generic finasteride. However, the brand name and the generic should contain the same amount of the active ingredient, the only difference are inactive ingredients binding the tablet. What do you guys think have any of you noticed a difference?

Is There A Difference Between Generic Finasteride And Propecia

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I find it so bizarre that so many people have had problems with generic finasteride when he acted in the Radion is the same in both Propecia and finasteride. And the quality is the same or at least it supposed to be. I suppose it could be something in the in active ingredients that could be blocking efficacy of the finasteride but it doesn’t seem that anybody knows.  

I love to hear some input from somebody who feels generic finasteride is not as effective for them personally and why.  

Thoughts? 

Best wishes,

Bill

I lost a huge amount of ground when I switched to generic. I presumed that my body was just becoming more tolerant to finasteride but realised that I had lost more hair since switching and switched back to Propecia and since then I would say I’ve improved somewhat again. 

I’m convinced that it was the generic finasteride and not my body becoming more tolerant as my hair hasn’t worsened since switching back. I was on generic for two years and I would advise anyone to not switch and stick to what is working for them even if it works out more expensive. 

I have no reason as to why this was just letting you guys know that it was true for me. 

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

• Administrators

You’re not the first guy to mention this. By chance were the generics from an Indian pharmaceutical company? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You’re not the first guy to mention this. By chance were the generics from an Indian pharmaceutical company? 

No it was called Aindeem which from reading is a generic form of propecia. 

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

I’m afraid the jury’s out on this one, it would make life so much easier if we had a definitive answer but we don’t. I’m chopping up Proscar and having to go through the hassles of prescriptions/cost to receive it. As a “belt & braces’ approach the surgeons recommend the brand to keep themselves right. 

So I've been on fin for about 5 years, I started with Proscar but in New Zealand it got discontinued so the only ones we are prescribed by our GP's are generic brand fin called "Ricit". Since the switch a few years ago I've shed a lot more hair and I noticed one time when I travelled oversea's and didn't have my fin that my hair really thinned until I jumped back on. I wish there was a conclusive study on this.

• Administrators

I wonder if this depends on the generic. I know there are some generics that are bought online without prescriptions that underdose the medications. 

View my thread