Will 2nd FUT scar be bigger than 1st?

I had an FUT procedure with Matt Huebner in Florida. Long story short I def have a lot more hair on my head, my scar is pretty dam good also just like he shows in his videos. No ones has ever pointed it out and my barber can still faded my hair out short and conceal it. So definitely give him an A on his scar. I’m now interested in having a second FUT with feller and Bloxham to really get a dense hair line and more density but they had told me doing a second FUT sometimes the scar is a little bit wider the second time around. (They will be cutting out the old scar and I will have only one.) I never heard this before. Any input ?  

As long as you have adequate scalp laxity for the next procedure, you should be fine.

And most doctors will want to remove the previous scar so you will still have only one donor scar, not two.

Again the key is having enough laxity to accommodate the size of the next strip, especially the width of it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I don't want to freak you out, but I don't think my second scar is going to be as good as the first. First scar was really hard to find and tiny. Second time I did LOTS of scalp laxity exercises and had good laxity, but after surgery I got some shock loss around the scar which is now starting to come back, but I am convinced the final scar is not going to be as good this time. I don't really care because the recipient site is looking awesome... and the scar is still easily covered... but I think there probably is something in second scars not being as good, regardless of how excellent the surgeon is. It's just how we heal. 

If Feller & Bloxham are already telling you it's a risk, then it's definitely a factor worth considering. However, these days many surgeons will use a Trichophytic Closure on strip scars that involves positioning the surrounding hairs so that they grow through the scar, minimizing its appearance. This is worth asking about when having consultations as well and seeing if this is something that's being taken into account in terms of the scar. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Tri-closures are a great option providing the doctor is skilled at performing it.  I have seen some good ones and some terrible ones.

A double-closure can provide extra tension on both siders of the flap to minimize stretching and sometimes docs will want to use staples.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY