Opinion needed on transplant result for Norwood 5

I am in early 40s, South Asian Indian male with Nordwood 5 loss, programmed to reach Norwood 6. I have been balding for last 15 years now. Started with the crown, then front. I am strongly considering getting a transplant from Dr Gabel@Portland. I have done lot of research, read up various threads. 

Doctor has suggested frontal restoration. Online research and Doctor’s words indicate there should be a dramatic improvement. Dr won’t go into additional detail. I would love to get a more quantified assessment. I wish if the Doctor could provide an after image showing the expected improvement. I understand there is always risk and gotchas. It would help clients if they know what is the best case scenario (visually) and caveats.

For example, after the surgery would my frontal hairline resemble what it was 10 years ago (even then front had receded) as an example? Or would it be broader and less dense? I have attached 3 pictures – showing the current hairline, donor area. And a pic from 2008 (10 years ago) – would the hairline look like this after transplant?

Please share your inputs. Thanks in advance.

2018 Hairline 1.jpg

DonorArea.jpg

Expected Outcome.jpg

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum RJ,

Let me post some YouTube videos for you, with some South Asian men with fantastic results. Actually, the majority of South Asian men possess fantastic hair thickness and density. @harin is a member who was a Norwood 6/7 with great results. @Shera I believe was around a Norwood 4/5 with fantastic results.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Rjn5,

As  mentioned by Melvin I was a Norwood 4/5 and would probably have looked a lot worse than you right now if I hadn't had my transplant over 4 years ago.

With regards to the Indian hair quality it is true that a little does go a long way. You can check out my past progress pics in the link below, they could provide you with a approx. guideline to perhaps see how your own journey will go.

If I can help you in any way, then please just ask.

I think first of all expectations should be realistic, I think given your donor area I personally feel that substantial density could be achieved, combining BHT would probably save you some scalp donor hairs for future touch ups if need be.

You can check out my thread including my latest pictures.

Only thing I would suggest would be to do your research, particularly look at hairlines and spacing between grafts etc.. and quality of work by surgeons/proceduralists before you jump in.

Being a picky physician myself it took me 2 years to find the right HT doctor and I am happy I found them and happy with what they did for my scalp looking at where I started out.

I think this patient has similar hairloss like you. You couls always send your pictures to various clinics and most should be able to do a free evaluation for you.

https://www.eugenix.in/patient-shv-detail.html

Check out the above link.

Whatever you choose, I am happy to help and you can send me a PM, but good luck with your decision, if you are looking for quality opinions on HT, you have come to right place.

Best of luck.

Below 4 are my pictures, full Blown Norwood 7 after approximately 9000 hairs (scalp and beard), last picture is after 3 years. My surgeons Dr. Arika Bansal and Dr. Pradeep Sethi are now recommended on this forum.

20150301_173146-1.thumb.jpg.f054e2a7a7ea733f473601c454f68e20.jpg5b32ec25b1aa8_20150405_123203(2).thumb.jpg.ab65fb370aff4d299681ea460d64ec1e.jpgtmp_20153-20160316_211638-2124568443.jpg.6b2b451969ffde94fb7384b4a15b4e03.jpg1616194091_harinfinal.jpg.3adc4a3ba4fb72a152821a8f9b33b0b3.jpg

https://www.eugenix.in/patient-shv-detail.html

Edited by harin

My Thread: 

Thanks for the input folks. I am HIGHLY impressed by the examples, and how transformative they are. One of the most important decisions is choice of surgeon. Thankfully one of the top 5 US surgeons is located very close by. Few more queries

1. @shera - congrats to you, what an amazing result.  3500 grafts have gone a long way.. We share some common hair loss characteristics. I have more crown loss than you circa 2014, and you had more frontal loss. I understand crown is much harder to restore. And Dr has anyways suggested to focus on front first. So perhaps my result should be similar to yours in the front with some bald spot left on crown. What do you think?

2. @harin - thanks for sharing this example - https://www.eugenix.in/patient-shv-detail.html. Looks quite similar to mine

3. I always keep thinking like this "Would HT restore hair to how I was at age X, albeit with lower frontal density"? You can replace "I" with anybody. For me, X=25 is ideal when I was quite happy with my hair. Now, I can settle for lower density in front. Is this the right way of thinking or not even close?

4. What is the ballpark cost of $/graft. In the US, it's $5-7/graft. My options are mainly limited to US and India. Curious to know the Indian rates.

5. Who are the top 3 HT surgeons in India? 

• Administrators

The cost is going to be substantially lower in India, depending on the surgeon and the surgical technique US doctors charge anywhere from $5-10 per graft. In India, it's probably like $1-3 per graft depending on the surgeon. In my humble opinion, our site recommends the best surgeons in all of India. Both of these gentlemen traveled from different countries to India to have their hair transplants. Shera I believe is located in the UK and Harin in the US, if I'm not mistaken.

With that said, never go by price alone. I encourage you to really look at the patient reviews. PM both Shera and Harin both are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I'm sure they are more than willing to help.My personal surgeon was Dr. Diep in California. It was convenient for me since I live in California, but I chose him based on the results first and foremost and I encourage you to do the same regardless of what doctor you choose.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

14 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The cost is going to be substantially lower in India, depending on the surgeon and the surgical technique US doctors charge anywhere from $5-10 per graft. In India, it's probably like $1-3 per graft depending on the surgeon. In my humble opinion, our site recommends the best surgeons in all of India. Both of these gentlemen traveled from different countries to India to have their hair transplants. Shera I believe is located in the UK and Harin in the US, if I'm not mistaken.

With that said, never go by price alone. I encourage you to really look at the patient reviews. PM both Shera and Harin both are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I'm sure they are more than willing to help.My personal surgeon was Dr. Diep in California. It was convenient for me since I live in California, but I chose him based on the results first and foremost and I encourage you to do the same regardless of what doctor you choose.

Melvin, thank you. Your post epitomizes why this forum is so valuable, because of such unbiased, balanced opinions and suggestions and education, by users and more importantly moderators like Melvin. Love

being part of this forum. It lead me to my HT doctor. Even when at that time they weren't recommended on this forum, I knew they would eventually be  recommended here, which they are now.

Thus, go for quality, even if its a bit pricier.

Good luck.

Edited by harin
  • Like 1

My Thread: