Legends HT with H n W. 2500 FUE

Legend007

Hey y’all , so I finally got my hairtransplant November 30th 2018.. it’s been a journey looking for clinics and choosing the right method . FUE or FUT n how many grafts is needed etc. 

I’ve been researching for 1.5 years now on hairloss around age 37.. prior to that I had great hair that I took for granted .. My family don’t have a history of hairloss , so I always assumed that the hairs would grow back .. . so I was in a lot of denial of why I’m losing hair.. I was adamant I only wanted FUE n wanted it to be with a top notch clinics .. 

I panicked last year n booked with doctor rassman for 1200 grafts for late 2017.. after more research I realize they weren’t great at dense packing hairlines. So I canceled on them n booked with doctor Baubac for 1400 grafts . then two weeks prior to surgery . Dr baubac canceled on me n advised me to stay on finasteride for a full year first. Since he didn’t want me to be chasing my hairline ..  at first I was angry about this .. I waited for months for this surgery n I got canceled on :( so I started researching other clinics .. n Drove 2 hours to dr dieps office for a live consultation in March 2018..  the consultation went well, even though it was quick , but he drew the hairline for me , in one minute .. he was artistic n knew what he was doing .. I was hoping to get a more in depth consultation however , like getting my hair diameter checked . My balding pattern , how much donor I had etc .. overall the consult went good but fast .. but one thing that sold me was doctor diep said to me u should let me do ur hair , since he’s really good with asian hair .. so I was sold .. booked with them for 2000 grafts FUE for October 2018 for $16,000.

After that consult I was happy I got my clinic , but disappointed that in 4 months my hair has gotten a lot thinner n receding enough to where I need 2000 grafts now  :(, even while on finasteride.. 

well fast forward to October 2018 one week before my surgery date with diep .. during this time I had lost my debit card , so I told them I can wire the money by bank transfer.. they didn’t want to do this , since they said it will take a few days to clear .. n I have until that afternoon to pay.  I told them my debit card should be coming today or tomorrow .. but instead they canceled on me n rebooked me for October 2019. 

The next day my debit card came , n I emailed them to see if I can get back my original surgery date . Since I can pay the whole $16000 now ..  but it seems like already filled my spot with someone else . 

Well I was like fine , I look elsewhere if they going to be like that .. I sure ain’t waiting another year for them . If they going to be like prior to surgery , I can only imagine how difficult it would be if I didn’t get a good result n coming  back n asking them for a repair or refund etc .. I know it ain’t gonna happen ... n quite honestly , I was really afraid of getting .9mm or 1mm punch size holes.. It doesn’t look pretty .. but his results are fantastic though , so I was willing to ignore that .. I also didn’t like that he has two patients a day . So to work on me n another patient At the same day ..  i don’t feel like I’m getting $16,000 worth .. I want the doctors full attention with that kind of money ..  but don’t get me wrong .. I would highly recommend dr. Dieps clinic.. he’s one of the best at hairline work and maximizing ur grafts .. if I ever need a touch up to my hairline or temporal points I will definitely consider them again . 

But , 

so the very next day I contacted h&w .. they said they had an opening next week .. n was willing to pay for my flight n 3 nights hotel .. n had no problem taking a bank transfer from me .. so the next day I booked my flight and was going to Canada the following week .. 

to be continued .. 

p.s. pic below is me last year at 38 prior to surgery ..  

FF0CB037-0EAB-4644-A060-08E594D99E3D.jpeg

5588D8ED-AAA3-4805-A22B-CA9E37980686.jpeg

3B466EAE-DD80-47D3-B4E8-78DDDC3AFF37.jpeg

Edited by Legend007
  • Like 2

Okay, so the next week I flew to Canada .. around a two hour flight from California.. reason I chose to go with H&W?  

- They are a Top clinic , n I can’t take a chance of risking surgery n spending so much money on lower tier clinics . I also liked that they can dense pack the hairline, so I won’t have to go back again for a second pass for density . ( very important to me ) 

N when I asked the patient coordinator if they gurantee their work . He said of course buddy , it’s what we do here .. so By hearing that , i know already their customer service is going to be good. Customer oriented .. n I have peace of mind that I’m not spending $20,000 for average results .

- n also , I was doctor hasson’s only patient that day .. Doctor Wong was doing FUE on another patient .. so I was really happy about that .. I wanted personal attention , n not feel like I’m at a hairmill . 

- I also changed my mind with going with FUE n wanted to do an FUT now.. since I felt I should maximize my donor with FUT first then do a FUE later on in life .. at first I never thought I would consider FUT but since I keep my hair medium to long .. the scar isn’t a big deal to me. Especially if it’s a clean , small scar, u won’t ever see it on me  .. n it’s also more cost effective .. $12,000 for 2500 grafts fut vs $20,000 for 2500 FUE..

-   When I arrived at the clinic . I got to meet Doctor Hasson for the first time n he gave me a evaluation . I insisted that he Measure my hair caliber with the densitômeter ..

donor hair is around 80 microns :) top of head is around 70 microns .  n the hairline around 40 microns..  It seems like I’ve been thinning all these years, good thing I got on finasteride last year , to hopefully slow it down .. 

I showed him the pic from above , of when dr. diep drew that hairline for me . I told Doctor Hasson to get close to that. After further examining my head he said I should do FUE with 2500 grafts .. since I still have a lot of hair up top , he didn’t feel like he can get it dense enough to match my native hair  with 2500 FUT.  since there be more single hairs than needed from a FUT .. then he examined my head n see if I even had enough laxity for a fut.. n I didn’t :(   

I booked this surgery date with h&w on a week notice .. so I didn’t have enough time to do scalp exercises .. I also have a small head n not much body fat .. my scalp is tight ..  so right there my choice was to go FUE  or go home . My first choice to do FUE anyways , so I was fine with it .. since he explained to me that FUE gives a denser hairline ( less see through effect ) because they can cherry pick all the bigger grafts . That makes sense to me .. n even though it costed me $8,000 more , totaling $20,000. It’s worth that extra cost today . 

- I also asked him how many FUE have u done ( since they are famous for their FUT) he said around 1,000. Then I asked who’s going to be doing the extraction, n he pointed to his tech Carmen . Then I asked how many years of experience does she have. ( I can be kinda blunt sometimes  :) ) He said 4.... then he reassured me that she was really good , n that she can hold her own extracting against other doctors during the hair restoration conferences ... 

i asked doctor hasson straight up if he will gurantee his work ,. I gave him the terms of at least 90% of growth , n not have one side denser than the other .. I was like I don’t want to come back if it doesn’t grow well , n he was like we don’t either .. then I asked if he can put it in writing , n he said do u want me to sign it too? I was like , yeah !

after that I was good to go , I requested extra meds , so I can sleep for most of it . N requested that they shave my hair not too high so I can cover up my surgery . 

N I asked Carmen the extractor tech , to not get too many hairs from the side ( since it’s thinner ) n not overharvest any one area, I don’t want bald patches .. she said okay :)

I also asked doctor hasson to go up as high as possible on the recipient area . Replace the miniaturized hairs on the hairline . So I can build that wall of hair ..    

- it’s a good thing I’ve  Done my research ; n know what to expect and know what I want and ask for .... 

to be cont. ..

pics are right after we finished the implantation ., it looks clean , nice n dense ..  not too bloody either .. n the 8.5mm punch is barely noticeable .. 

E1FAC41D-EAD7-4753-960C-6D79F424E3B7.jpeg

B1AD4380-B236-4572-871C-51DA07D8A99A.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Glad to see you made a thread Legend, the work looks great and the hairline shape is very aesthetically pleasing. I'm excited for you man, here is to more hair in 2019🍻

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

awesome stuff Legend! How many cm or inches lower would you say your new hairline is? Do you know how many cm your eyebrow to your hairline was before surgery? Also how many cm from your eyebrow is post surgery now? I believe the typical hairline you would go for is 6.5 cm from top of eyebrow to the hairline for us asian guys. Dr. Diep recommended 6.5 cm for me as right now Im about 7.5 cm from my eyebrow to hairline.

Hasson does the highest level of dense packing in the world from what I see, especially with your ridiculous hair caliber and number of grafts in a smallish area should be close to perfect. You're probably his idea of an ideal patient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey shook , I’m not sure what the centimeter are .. but my forehead from eyebrow used to be 4 fingers .. it’s been lowered now to about 3 fingers .. I have a small face , so even though hairline was normal length . My forehead always looked big compared to my face .. 

so now it looks more proportioned .. my only regret is that i should of been more adamant with doctor hasson on rebuilding the temporal points so my forehead won’t look Wide .. also I would of wanted my hairline more pointy in the middle ( mini widows peak) it’s something I can do later on however ..  

Right now I’m just hoping for good growth .. after everything grows then I can style my hair and see if I need to do any refinements .. 

• Moderators

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see the end results next year.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

That’s a lot of grafts into a small area. You should be on for a very dense result here. Looks amazing! 👍🏻

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Looks really clean and very (!) dense. Amazing to see 2500 FU with this hair diameter in such a small area. 

21 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

Hasson does the highest level of dense packing in the world from what I see, especially with your ridiculous hair caliber and number of grafts in a smallish area should be close to perfect. You're probably his idea of an ideal patient.

+1 one Jean's comment. But this makes me wonder even more: Why did Baubac cancelled on you? Did you recide much more after your fist meeting with him? Or was it the first time he has seen your case and you have been in contact with a advisor only before? A 37 year old with your hair and just starting FIN. What else do you want as a clinic?

Edited by Gasthoerer

Hey guys I answer ur guys questions later and also add a 21 day post op pic.. 

- thanks Melvin , yeah I wasn’t planning on doing a write up until months later .. but might as well do it now , n update it once in awhile n check my progress .

While it’s still fresh on my mind .. I do a review of my thoughts on H&W clinic .. 

- Even though I don’t like a tech heavy clinic.. it was one of the reason h&w wasn’t my first choice to begin with .. but they changed my mind about this .. 

I’m paying $8 a graft ,, I prefer a surgeon to do the extractions .. but H&W, is well organized and managed .. their techs have an average 5-15 years of experience .. both doctors have their own team .. n each tech specializes in their own duties .. n all were really friendly .. 

i appreciated that doctor hasson spent around 30- 45 mins with me during my consultation.. we spent a lot of time drawing the hairline . He erased it , redrew it until we felt it was proportioned .. he listened to what I want.. I specifically told him I want a dense hairline in one pass .. so I don’t have to come back . He said he’s good at doing just that ..

n even bragged about how doctor Wong was the pioneer of the Lateral Slit technique . N doctor hasson created the blades to achieve this technique, n that is what made them famous, it allowed them to be able to dense pack, n do megasessions.. they were one of the first clinics to achieve this .. 

- I liked how their tech Veena, toasted banana bread and gave me juice while I filled out my paperwork .. she wanted me to have energy before surgery .. this gave me a good vibe of the clinic from the start .. thanks a lot :)

- I liked that their extractor tech was skillful , n I can tell by the flow of extractions, n how I got no bald patches of missing hair in my donor .. n while she extracts there is 2-3 other techs handling the grafts , their duties were to look at each graft under the microscopes , to trim it, check for transactions etc.. ( that’s the benefit of a clinic that does both FUt n FUE , they have all good tools :)

they were able to get me around -

300 singles + 1900 doubles + 300 triples 

- I liked that i was doctor hasson n his tech team only Patient that day... they told me there is no time limit, n won’t rush their duties . They will take their time n make sure everything is done correctly ..

i was there at 7:30 am and left around 8:30pm . They took their time on me .. they know i was an educated patient n had high expectations .. but I feel really bad for the techs , I was lucky to be on meds n Valium n sleeping pills .. so I slept for half the time .. I didn’t even turn on the tv or music until the last two hours . ...I didn’t want them to get distracted n to focus on my surgery :)so it was just tedious work for them .. Heheheh .

- oh yeah , my review of FUE over FUT?  Fue is better if u want a dense hairline , since they can cherry pick the larger grafts .. so u get less of that see through effect .. with FUT u will need more grafts in the same area to achieve the same density .. since there will be more single hairs than u need from the strip.. 

- I was also really worried about shaving my donor area for FUE vs just shaving a strip of hair for FUT ..  I thought it ve more difficult for me to conceal that ugly haircut .. but since I’ve prepared and have been growing out my hair for months now .. u can’t even tell if I had surgery .. I requested them to not shave my hair too high so I could cover it up .. 

- só overall , I give H&W very high ratings . I would highly recommend them .. n I think their FUE is just as good as their FUT . Since everything is the same process n tools .. except the extraction part .... 

hopefully I get good growth .. everything seems to be good so far .. I have a good vibe about the clinic and the surgery itself. N recovery has been going well ..  happy holidays everyone . 

P.s, I like to add that doctor hasson thought I was in my mid 20’s,  N when I told him I’m 39 . He’s like well ,, u gonna look even younger now :P 

Edited by Legend007
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Your young gf is passing her youth to you legend haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Pics are today. 21 days post op .. isn’t the recipient suppose to be shedding by now ? It just seems to be growing instead .. it’s pretty intact .. 

Also, is it a good sign that my donor hair has grown back pretty quick ? Were ur guys donor grew back that fast after 21 days ?  Hopefully that’s a sign I’m a fast grower 

245E044C-694D-4CAD-ADEC-9829A14994DB.jpeg

5F3C24B1-DDAB-49F2-85D8-4D7EF4748E8F.jpeg

FA722BD0-96D1-4BDD-A213-32DDF42BD6F4.jpeg

Edited by Legend007

19 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Also, is it a good sign that my donor hair has grown back pretty quick ? Were ur guys donor grew back that fast after 21 days ?  Hopefully that’s a sign I’m a fast grower 

Unfortunately, this correlation does not exist and I am the best proof for it. So do not freak out, if you are NOT a fast grower. 

Looks really clean and very (!) dense. Amazing to see 2500 FU with this hair diameter in such a small area. 

On 12/20/2018 at 6:32 AM,  JeanLDD said: 

+1 one Jean's comment. But this makes me wonder even more: Why did Baubac cancelled on you? Did you recide much more after your fist meeting with him? Or was it the first time he has seen your case and you have been in contact with a advisor only before? A 37 year old with your hair and just starting FIN. What else do you want as a clinic?

— thanks jean , it is pretty dense packed .. doctor hasson said he can go even denser , ultra dense pack .... The implanters took a lot of hours to pack them in there .. took almost all night ...  I still had a lot of native hair behind the hairline .. so he had to match the density of my native .. but my native hair is kinda thin . , I can tell they will get thinner in a few years .. 

- hey gas, doctor bauabc canceled on me at the last minute after looking at my pictures again .. he knew I was going to recede some more .. so 1200 grafts to the hairline wouldn’t do me any good 2 years later .. so he wanted me to stay on Propecia for the full year n see how I respond .. I could either maintain , or recede more . N yep .. one year later I definitely receded more .. now I need 2200-2500 grafts .. I thank him in my heart , for canceling on me .. I would be chasing my hairline right now .. n be worse off than before . :)

n I also wanted to thank many of the members here for telling me to not get a HT at that time , Since I was just starting to recede . . my hair loss wasn’t bad enough at norwood 2 .. now it’s almost a 3 .. this was a good time for me to get one, should make a nice benefit.. 

Edited by Legend007

@Legend007

Work looks fantastic!

I love how you were blunt and to-the-point with your questions to the doctor and his staff, you are the patient and spendings thousands of $ and have every right to be no matter the reputation of the clinic, it shows a well-informed and knowledgeable patient. Looking forward to following your progress! Happy growing!

• Like 1