First Time Poster

I've been checking through multiple forums in the past few weeks to see success stories, doctor reviews, etc.   I'm for FUT or FUE, whichever will better fit me.  I have had a high forehead all my life, but it has gone back a little bit since high school.  My temples have also need filled in.  During my adulthood, I developed CVG (scalp wrinkles) so shaving my head is no longer an option.  I have narrowed it down to these four doctors.  Hasson in Canada, Rahal in Canada, Vories in Carolina and Erdogan in Turkey.  Hair is too short for a consultation I've been told, but I will send what is there now.

Edited by John Doe

Welcome aboard.  You will find many knowledgeable people on here.  I am not one of them, because I only post during the period when I am getting transplants, while others keep up with the science.  My uneducated opinion is that you have a very good starting point.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators

Welcome to the board, what are your specific goals? If you plan on keeping your hair short I would seriously consider FUE over strip. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Welcome to the board, what are your specific goals? If you plan on keeping your hair short I would seriously consider FUE over strip. 

Honestly, if I had a better hairline, I would grow it long. I usually have it at 1-2”, but I get tired of looking at my big forehead and end up shaving it. When I shave it, I have to deal with the scalp wrinkles. Lose lose 

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Honestly, if I had a better hairline, I would grow it long. I usually have it at 1-2”, but I get tired of looking at my big forehead and end up shaving it. When I shave it, I have to deal with the scalp wrinkles. Lose lose 

To be perfectly honest the CVG is barely noticeable. However, it is annoying I have it about as bad as you do. With that said, do you plan on keeping the sides short? If so choose FUE I would say around 2,500 grafts would be enough to reconstruct a moderate hairline. By moderate I mean not  super aggressive juvenile hairline. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I always kept the sides at 3/8 to 1/2” with my hairline. If I were to have something better, I might cut shorter so fue might be the way to go. Any thoughts of the 4 doctors I provided. I have the money to go with the more expensive Canadian or American, but if Erdogan is identical I’d most likely go to Turkey. I’m in Pennsylvania as far as travels go 

• Administrators

For strip you can’t go wrong with Rahal or H&W. If you’re going FUE you’re im good hands with Dr. Vories and Erdogan. However, all things considered the prices may vary, as well as the distance. I encourage you to look at our patient reviews section and research which doctor you feel works best for you.

View my thread

38 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

For strip you can’t go wrong with Rahal or H&W. If you’re going FUE you’re im good hands with Dr. Vories and Erdogan. However, all things considered the prices may vary, as well as the distance. I encourage you to look at our patient reviews section and research which doctor you feel works best for you.

Thank you... I’ll go through and read some threads in that section. Flight would be around $1,200 to Turkey and $350 if I were to go to hasson (two furthest clinics on my list) Hasson would be at least $15,000 for 2,000+ grafts based on his website. Kerogan I believe would be at least $7500-$8000. How does follow up care work? I know FUT would be more care based on staples, etc. Replying on cell so my info might be a bit off due to going off memory 

Are you willing to grow your hair out a bit longer so that the pattern, density, and hair quality is more apparent? That would give the surgeon a better idea of what they're working with and be able to better create a game plan for you. Getting an in-person consultation with longer hair is going to be your best bet. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

7 minutes ago, pkipling said:

Are you willing to grow your hair out a bit longer so that the pattern, density, and hair quality is more apparent? That would give the surgeon a better idea of what they're working with and be able to better create a game plan for you. Getting an in-person consultation with longer hair is going to be your best bet. 

I sent current pictures to Erdogan and his rep said they need it to be at least 2cm. I’m in the process of growing it out to at least an inch all around. I don’t think I have the means to do an in person consultation (travel costs) unless it’s right before a surgery. 

13 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

With all due respect melvin,  Rahal is not just a strip clinic. in fact our practice is about 80 percent FUE and 20 percent strip. Attached is just few of previously posted results of fue work.

Being good at strip, does not mean bad at fue. in fact having done strip for year, sets you up for better understanding of the nuances of hair restoration surgery in terms of grafts management, planting etc.

As for cost, which is a factor for many in north american patients looking for cheaper options in europe. this not always the case.

we charge 6 dollars canadian, (4.4 usd or 3.8 euro) per grafts up to 2500 grafts and discounted above 2500 grafts. 

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

@John Doe, sorry if I missed it. But I didn't read if you're on any medications? Always a good idea to slow hair loss. Your goal is to keep what you have, for as long as possible, and restore with at hair transplant what you've lost.

You narrowed it down to some good doctors. I can vouch that Dr. Wong produces some of the best crowns in the business. I would also add Dr. Shapiro to the list. Some of the best hairlines in the business… though a little more conservative in his approach (nothing wrong with that). 

Once you've narrowed down your list to the elites… the doctors who specialize in hair transplants… only perform your transplants… You'll notice that each specializes in one thing:

Rahal, he's known for more youthful hairlines... His patients are usually in their 30s. Same with Shapiro, awesome at hairlines but his patients are a little older… Wong for crowns… You get the idea. So go with a doctor who specializes in what you want.

Keep in mind that only a handful of doctors in North America are able to perform FUE consistently. But the ones who do… Produce some of the best results in the industry.

You also want to look at factors like punch size, transection… Full and partial… Technique, etc.

Now on the cost… I keep hearing that Turkey is less expensive… Guys need to know that's not true. Sure  some clinics offer $1/graft… But you want to avoid them like the plague. They are cheap for a reason. At hair transplant is a one-shot deal. Don't risk it.

Yes, there are a select few clinics in Turkey producing great results… But they're not cheap. Factoring cost of travel, exchange-rate… and the real risk of needing a touch up… and they are actually more expensive. You also need to factor in the cost of the second procedure. A lot of clinics offer discounts to past patients.

I hope this helps man… Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. Take your time, meet lots of patients, ask lots of questions… Here to help.

PS. If you're curious I had FUE with Rahal. Photos are attached.

2018-12-21_1221.png

before.png

2018-12-21_1228.png

2018-12-21_1229.png

Edited by HairLossMentor
  • Like 3

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Dr. Rahal said:

With all due respect melvin,  Rahal is not just a strip clinic. in fact our practice is about 80 percent FUE and 20 percent strip. Attached is just few of previously posted results of fue work.

Being good at strip, does not mean bad at fue. in fact having done strip for year, sets you up for better understanding of the nuances of hair restoration surgery in terms of grafts management, planting etc.

As for cost, which is a factor for many in north american patients looking for cheaper options in europe. this not always the case.

we charge 6 dollars canadian, (4.4 usd or 3.8 euro) per grafts up to 2500 grafts and discounted above 2500 grafts. 

Hi Tara,

I didn’t mean to infer that Dr. Rahal was bad at FUE. I apologize if it came out that way, I have the utmost respect for Dr. Rahal as a surgeon. Thanks for posting these cases. You’re certainly giving the poster something to think about, the work looks fantastic 🙌🏼

View my thread

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am not on any meds. I’m 33 right now. I’d say my hair line has reduced maybe a half inch since high school so i don’t currently take meds. I would like at least an inch transplant, more if possible. I appreciate giving details on certain doctors styles. Hope to have a decision made by late January 

I’m leaning toward Hasson or Rahal. Mainly because of reputation and distance...for follow ups and possible second procedure. Also, they have guarantees you get results correct? 

Edited by John Doe

@JohnDoe with hair restoration or any other cosmetic surgery there is always a risk. But by going with one of the elites, you greatly minimize the risk… As they offer the best technology, little things like magnification to avoid shock loss. 

Keep in mind it's not just about the hair transplant. You also want to look at your hair loss, where it is now and where you'll end up. That's a big part of the procedure. You need to make sure your candidate-Rahal turns away 30% of patients, simply because they're not candidates. I'm sure Hassan does the same based on his reputation. That's key.

You're going with Rahal or Hasson for one reason… consistency. Both have a stellar reputation for producing amazing results. Plus both stand by their patients, always. That's what you're paying for.

Now you want to look at what each specializes in. You'll find that Rahal and Hasson  approach hairlines differently. Each has their own style. Go with the style that you like best. Check out each doctors results, paying close attention to the design, the hairline irregularity, how their patients style their hair. You'll get a feel for what you like best.

But most importantly, don't rush into it. Hair loss sucks man I get it. But you've come a long way. You're ahead of most guys, researching your options, understand the procedure. That's awesome. It's a good feeling taking control of your loss, to imagine hair loss not holding you back 🙂

PS don't forget about meds. So critical. The big three, Propecia, Rogaine, Nizoral can stop hair loss. But once it's gone. It's gone. So 100% look into meds. Remember your goal is to keep it as much your original hair is possible. 

Hit me up with any questions

Edited by HairLossMentor
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information.  I'm one of those people that continually weighs the pros and cons of things and changes my mind.  As of now, still thinking about RAHAL, but I always go back and forth seeing other surgeons work as well.  

@JohnDoe all that is great man. Take your time it's a big decision! But you're for sure on the right track. Most guys don't even take the time to research clinics, let alone ask questions. You're doing everything right.

I'll throw in another option… You don't need to have a hair transplant. You can always shave your head and say forget about it. For sure hair transplant can change your life for the better, I know from experience-I feel better, look younger, and happier...hair loss isn't holding me back. But I can also point to a lot of guys enjoying life, despite suffering from hair loss.

It's really a personal decision... And how hair loss makes you feel. But it's a decision you don't want to take lightly. 

Sure, I enjoyed my 20s and 30s with hair, had an amazing time… But I'm looking at another hair transplant in my lifetime, plus I take the big three consistently to keep what I have. Plan for two procedures in your lifetime.

And that's if you want to take meds...

I know I keep on mentioning medications… But they are so important to keep the hair you have. Take them consistently and you keep more hair and need less hair transplants in the future.

Anyway, hit me up if you have any questions. Always glad to share my experience. Good luck man.

Edited by HairLossMentor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HairLossMentor said:

@JohnDoe all that is great man. Take your time it's a big decision! But you're for sure on the right track. Most guys don't even take the time to research clinics, let alone ask questions. You're doing everything right.

I'll throw in another option… You don't need to have a hair transplant. You can always shave your head and say forget about it. For sure hair transplant can change your life for the better, I know from experience-I feel better, look younger, and happier...hair loss isn't holding me back. But I can also point to a lot of guys enjoying life, despite suffering from hair loss.

It's really a personal decision... And how hair loss makes you feel. But it's a decision you don't want to take lightly. 

Sure, I enjoyed my 20s and 30s with hair, had an amazing time… But I'm looking at another hair transplant in my lifetime, plus I take the big three consistently to keep what I have. Plan for two procedures in your lifetime.

And that's if you want to take meds...

I know I keep on mentioning medications… But they are so important to keep the hair you have. Take them consistently and you keep more hair and need less hair transplants in the future.

Anyway, hit me up if you have any questions. Always glad to share my experience. Good luck man.

Thank you for the advice.  I will probably not take meds... or take the minimum to aid with the transplant.  My hairline is in a very slow regression.  I think if anything, I would get a second transplant to fix the issue if needed.  As high as my forehead is, my hairline wasn't much better when I was in high school, lol.  The only thing that I somewhat notice is the temple loss.  I wish I had pictures of my hairline from 5 and 10 years ago because some of the loss might be in my head.....or appearance because of change in skull structure/extra weight since high school. 

So I read that rarely do doctors do the initial consultation, certain surgery work etc.  My question is, how many times would I have to travel to a doctor for initial consultation and other things leading up to the actual surgery?  I read that the doctor often changes the consultation plans that people are told initially by his/her staff.  Rahal's office closest to Toronto is about a 5 hour drive from me and I'll need to get a passport.  I am going to call his office Wednesday after Christmas to see what they say, but figured I'd ask here first.  

• Administrators

Your hair isn't bad at all, I bet grown out, the hairline may not even be that noticeable. Have you ever tried to simply grow it out and try to style it to cover the recession? May be a better and cheaper  option than surgery.

View my thread

If I understand your situation correctly, it seems like the issue is less about aggressive MPB, and more about slight recession coupled with the more pressing cosmetic concern of you simply not being happy with the aesthetics of your forehead. Is that correct? 

If so, and a proper evaluation/family history shows that MPB isn't of great concern for you, then undergoing FUE to simply lower your hairline seems like a very viable option. With the proper framing and lowering, it may not even take much to make an aesthetically pleasing difference. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56