1700 Grafts with Dr. Diep

• Administrators

Look at the existing hairline, the same pattern is followed. It’s always best to follow the patients natural hairline.

7A905EFC-B3B1-47D0-AABF-79E1254C0913.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Look at the existing hairline, the same pattern is followed. It’s always best to follow the patients natural hairline.

7A905EFC-B3B1-47D0-AABF-79E1254C0913.png

I appreciate your response, I’ve had many online consultations and not one has drawn a hairline that’s not symmetrical. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Raker said:

I appreciate your response, I’ve had many online consultations and not one has drawn a hairline that’s not symmetrical. 

You never want to go to a cookie cutter surgeon. We all have varying degrees of assymetry, had BLM been completely bald, Dr. Diep, probably would have designed the hairline slightly less assymetrical, but since he still has a decent amount of hair, he followed the pattern. In the end, when it all grows out, I’m sure it’s going to fit his face perfectly. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

5 minutes ago, Raker said:

I have been to a F2F consultation with Feriduni (3x times actually including the surgery day) and he always created the same asymmetrical hairline for me following my existing hairline, my facial structure and most important: my hair direction. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, baldlivesmatter said:

Also, bad move on not shaving full head. Looks pretty silly.

Will gently cut it once after the two week necessary waiting period.

It’s alright you can make it work with clever styling. With the use of toppik you’ll be fine. Also, you can always text Dr. Diep he does respond fairly quickly.

View my thread

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Also, you can always text Dr. Diep he does respond fairly quickly.

I was very impressed with Dr. Diep giving out his cell number.

He also mentioned multiple times that I could call him with questions so it seems he's really stepped it up with post-op care, as I know this has historically been a complaint about him.

29 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

I have been to a F2F consultation with Feriduni (3x times actually including the surgery day) and he always created the same asymmetrical hairline for me following my existing hairline, my facial structure and most important: my hair direction. 

Interesting, I’ve had several consultations (feriduni, Lorenzo & devroye) and all the hairlines drawn were symmetrical to the naked eye. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Raker said:

Interesting, I’ve had several consultations (feriduni, Lorenzo & devroye) and all the hairlines drawn were symmetrical to the naked eye. 

Your hairline and facial structure may be more symmetrical. The main thing is that hairline is being designed for you specifically and not just a cookie cutter straight hairline.

• Thanks 1

View my thread

I think he will get a great result .. donor looks bloody n stuff but oh well .. I think that’s just the sacrifice u have to take with diep .. but I bet his hairline will be dense n not see through anymore after a few months.. 

• Like 1

Alright boyos, just got off the phone with the clinic.

Apparently the harvesting strategy is to start in the middle and go to one side and then do the other side as needed.

My ~1700 grafts didn't require full harvesting on both sides so the grafts were mainly taken from one side.

Seems strange to me to not spread the grafts evenly, but given Dr. Dieps well-documented results doing 2 procedures a day for years I'm thinking it's not worth too much worry.

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yes, 

The hairline is designed according to the individuals facial structure. Some men are born with one hairline slightly higher than the other. This is perfectly normal and seen in nature. In fact, you can see Dr. Diep, simply followed the natural pattern of his hair. Below is an example of a non-balding assymetrical hairline. 

66DA5ABC-4B4D-4757-9DD8-2F166570610B.jpeg

Fair point & an interesting hairline. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, baldlivesmatter said:

Apparently the harvesting strategy is to start in the middle and go to one side and then do the other side as needed.

Jesus, why would someone do that? I had 400 grafts and even this few grafts were equally distributed. 

2 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Jesus, why would someone do that? I had 400 grafts and even this few grafts were equally distributed. 

Yeah, seems like a strange strategy to me too.

I'm just glad the planting doesn't use the same strategy (i.e., start of the right and once the grafts are done they just stop planting lol).

There was a user on realself that complained about this also .. he was really angry Dr. Diep only harvested one side .. when his hair grew in , one side was always thicker, n the harvested side was thinner .. I think Dr. Diep explained to him he wanted to leave one area alone for future harvesting . So the unharvested side will have less scar tissue which will be better for future transplants .. I personally don’t like this strategy .. but was aware of it , that’s why when I had my surgery , i specifically told the tech n the doctor to spread out my extractions harmoniously throughout my scalp , so there will be no areas of patchiness .... 

.. It’s always best to know about the process and not just let the clinic do whatever they want .. got to let them know how u want things done .. n more than likely they will accommodate u .. but if u don’t know n don’t speak up .. its just another day at the office for them . 

• Like 3

Funny story--took an Uber to my house from the airport and my driver mentioned that he had a HT with Dr. Erdogan in Turkey.

He seemed to bring it up out of the blue so not sure if my bandanna tipped him off.

Anyway, his procedure was like $10K less than mine to cover a full NW6 area.

Density was definitely lacking but did a nice job framing his face and, most importantly, he was quite happy with it.

Funny enough this was my 2nd Uber driver that's had a hair transplant (that I know of).

7 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

There was a user on realself that complained about this also .. he was really angry Dr. Diep only harvested one side .. when his hair grew in , one side was always thicker, n the harvested side was thinner .. I think Dr. Diep explained to him he wanted to leave one area alone for future harvesting . So the unharvested side will have less scar tissue which will be better for future transplants .. I personally don’t like this strategy .. but was aware of it , that’s why when I had my surgery , i specifically told the tech n the doctor to spread out my extractions harmoniously throughout my scalp , so there will be no areas of patchiness .... 

.. It’s always best to know about the process and not just let the clinic do whatever they want .. got to let them know how u want things done .. n more than likely they will accommodate u .. but if u don’t know n don’t speak up .. its just another day at the office for them . 

Yeah Legend, I agree--seems like a fairly shitty strategy.

That being said, at this point it is what it is, and given that Dr. Diep is a world-class surgeon I imagine he has thought about this before and has reasons for his harvesting strategy. 

In the end,  I think u be able to achieve what u went to diep for .. reininforce ur hairline .. he’s great at that .. from ur graft count with a lot of doubles n triples + ur previous surgery .. u should have a nice thick frontal third .. n now,  u also know u still have at least a good 1600 grafts on ur left side  for future transplants .. keep us updated .. :) 

23 hours ago, Legend007 said:

I think Dr. Diep explained to him he wanted to leave one area alone for future harvesting . So the unharvested side will have less scar tissue which will be better for future transplants.

This is mathematical nonsense. Diep can easily extract symmetrically from the back and cover the same area than with his "strategy". The area covered and hence the scar tissue built up is not related to symmetry, but only how dense you extractions are. 

On 1/5/2019 at 2:24 AM, Raker said:

Fair point & an interesting hairline. 

Yeah, can't say I'd be particularly happy with that dude's hairline if that was from a transplant but definitely proves Melvin's point re: asymmetrical hairlines in the real world.

• Thanks 1

Alright guys, here are the 8 day post-op pictures. 

At this point, I am allowed to resume normal hair washing.

The donor still looks more red than I would like so I'm hoping this subsides in the next week or so before I return to work. Otherwise, I'll need to try to disguise it with some dermatch. Anyone have any advice on speeding up this process?

I also decided to take some biotin for the next few weeks with the hope that it will help speed up the hair growth.

image.thumb.png.9cf699efa0e4d30b0a9ecd449ac9d1a3.png

image.png.1db7aeaecf0b1dc37834c67405488353.png

image.png.e6db313ddcac9817a72655b635cb0e70.png 

image.png.32a14b2724ad3dab234ffc95c92603a7.png