1700 Grafts with Dr. Diep

• Administrators

where are you guys taking first dates? I hope not 5 star restaurants that would get expensive. I’ve met a lot of dates for coffee or a drink at a dive bar. I’m not wearing a tux lol. Just casual, first dates you’re feeling the person out. 

BLM you’ll be fine, but I’d still use concealer just in case you do take your hat off. Plus, it’s good to casually take it off from time to time just so she knows you’re not hiding anything. I usually just take it off to re-adjust the hat. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

24 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

where are you guys taking first dates? I hope not 5 star restaurants that would get expensive. I’ve met a lot of dates for coffee or a drink at a dive bar. I’m not wearing a tux lol. Just casual, first dates you’re feeling the person out. 

^^^this guy tinders!

Yeah, not going to Dorsia for a first date with someone I've never met lol.

Thursday is a drink at a local dive bar, Sunday is coffee.

24 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

BLM you’ll be fine, but I’d still use concealer just in case you do take your hat off. Plus, it’s good to casually take it off from time to time just so she knows you’re not hiding anything. I usually just take it off to re-adjust the hat. 

But I am hiding something! lol

Can't use concealer for tomorrow as still within 2 week post surgery window (I know, probably fine--but no way am I gonna risk it).

Will consider concealer for Sunday but tbh, I'd way rather err on the side of caution. Plenty of fish in the sea (especially if the plugs grow in nicely).

• Haha 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, baldlivesmatter said:

Is there a way to change the title to "1700 grafts with Dr. Diep"?

I was quoted 1300 but ultimately got 1683.

Don't want the title to be misleading.

Thanks for letting me know. I will change it now because yea that's a big difference.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Day 15 update.

Overall looks to be healing quite nicely.

Recipient area looks fully healed to me. Donor still has a bit to go.

I evened out the hair length today so everything is at approximately 5mm.

Been going out without a hat to gauge reactions and overall seems it's not particularly conspicuous.

Overhead

image.png.52fe47ce9975f12946053a73d8eb6c11.png

Front

image.png.07a3875e906de9c9f092623abe3dc124.png

Donor (Right)

image.png.31d66eba091877b88cf9106ba59e02c8.png

Donor Right (more natural light)

image.png.ea546adfe734096bbd2c95af4be7c572.png

Donor (back)

image.png.288578d1a357b1ed37deb1bb50b1c6e8.png

Donor Left (for comparison)

image.png.6d45e35f2bcd9f8d1a3b12d16433383d.png

image.png

Also, looks like I don't need to be in the office until Wednesday so this gives me an additional 2 days for a reduction in redness.

I'm thinking by then it may be passable w/o dermmatch and if not I'll add a light layer to the donor only. 

Hopefully this helps provide a timeline for when one can return to work post Diep FUE.

• Administrators

The hairline looks really good and as you can see the asymmetry is less visible with hair. In fact, it looks fairly symmetrical with short hair, with long hair it will look a lot better. The donor isn't too bad, it just looks kinda reddish, I think there might be some scabs still lingering too. In another 5 days you'll be good.

• Like 1

View my thread

U seem to be healing well .. it doesn’t look too bad .. just looks like u got a buzz cut n kinda reddish only .. ur hair pre-op wasn’t too bad .. this should give it that extra boost in the hairline .. thanks for keeping us updated .. 

• Like 1

Interesting article by Dr. Charles discussing FUE harvesting from one side of the donor:

https://www.charlesmedicalgroup.com/plastic-surgery/is-it-possible-to-take-donor-hair-from-the-sides-of-the-head/

I still don't really understand the advantage but appears to not be that unusual. 

23 Day post-op pics below.

I returned to the office this week and it was pretty obvious that I'd had a transplant due to donor redness. Tried messing around with Dermmatch and Toppik but couldn't get them to blend well enough so decided to just go au naturale.

I had to give a big presentation on Wednesday to some of the big bosses so that was a bit awkward. Overall though, not a huge deal as I think most guys are more curious about the process, rather than judgmental. Talked pretty openly about it with a few guys at work which was pretty liberating. Everyone that I've told about the procedure (family, close friends, co-workers) have been supportive. 

Recipient area is shedding but not too rapidly and the redness in the recipient area is hard to see in person which is nice. I think in another week or 2 my donor area will be long enough to cover the redness.

Overhead

image.png.66a50b255a98e9ea5947bee9df323aed.png

Frontal

image.thumb.png.d9eadf59dd0f8f5a9e54399f3139a8cc.png

Right donor

image.png.b7c274109ffe4865aea200e1432e8287.png

Back Donor

image.png.c67ed348c2950a3d28fdc33021f5a9d8.png

10 hours ago, flyinghotnow said:

Sorry to go back on this again, but did anyone find out if Dr Diep would be willing to harvest from both side of the head if a patient request it?

The office never called me but I'm assuming that as long as you told him before the surgery that you wanted the grafts harvested from both sides that he would oblige.

I'm not 100% sure I would push for that though. I know a lot of forum members suggest insisting on certain harvesting patterns, punch sizes, etc. but in my opinion, if you select a doctor that you trust is an elite doctor then you probably shouldn't mess too much with their process.

God forbid, you push them to do the procedure the way you want it done rather than they way they normally would and you get a bad result. Hard to blame the doc in that case.

• Administrators

Heading in to the dreaded ugly duckling phase. Idk I feel like your donor looks pretty normal at this point. 

View my thread

On 1/27/2019 at 6:47 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Heading in to the dreaded ugly duckling phase. 

Thanks for the reminder ya jerk! ;)

On 1/27/2019 at 6:47 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Idk I feel like your donor looks pretty normal at this point. 

To be honest I think it looks a bit worse in real life. I'm skipping a big networking event this week as I think it will be distracting.

Somewhat frustrating as I had figured that at the 2 week point the donor would be pretty much healed. My last procedure it looked untouched around day 10 I believe.

That being said, it's definitely heading in the right direction. Likely two weeks out from it being hard to notice.

• Administrators

To be perfectly honest, most people don't notice. We always assume that people are noticing what we see in the mirror, but the majority of people don't pay attention. At this point, only a trained eye would be able to tell. My second procedure, my donor looked way worse and I still rocked it lol.You'd be surprised how little people actually pay attention.

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Raker said:

That’s assuming you require additional surgery, not convinced. 

No ones trying to convince you. 

View my thread

2 hours ago, Raker said:

That’s assuming you require additional surgery, not convinced. 

You would expect someone to treatment plan for a condition that is typically chronic, progressive without accounting for the need for future surgery?

One month post-op pics taken with consistent angles and lighting.

Seems most of the grafts have shed, though this happened pretty gradually over the last few weeks.

Donor still healing. Length definitely helps cover the redness so it's looking better everyday.

Overhead

image.png.bfcd3ff5e0057235254f0381c7d49aa3.png

Front

image.thumb.png.e50be124bab27cc369f64c8492b06a21.png

Right

image.png.46a76690b837f1aa3a4854182bcd8f74.png

Back

image.png.0b919675a29cc5c16eaccad16b68312b.png