What is the long-game for an HT?

Been doing a ton of research and feel confident about what I really want but the one thing that is always in the back of my mind is "how long will this investment last before it's a wash?" 

The money needed for 3K grafts in my scenario is such where if it wasn't beneficial and/or effective for 20+ years, then it isn't worth it for me to have to go back again. 

I know everyone differs in their values and some will keep going back for that perfect look over the years, but I'd like to know - is the technology advanced enough to where there is a high confidence level for the average guy that we can maintain our goal for the long-term? Has anyone here had an HT (FUT/FUE) that has lasted 10-15+ years or beyond without any disappointment in seeing additional hair loss and is this the majority? 

Basically I want this to be a one and done so I can move on with other life priorities, yet still take advantage of this amazing advance in science that we have. This may be a big question to ask, but I think we owe it to ourselves to ask it considering the costs AND for the community (doctors included) to have at least SOME data on it. 

- This assumes users continue to apply the big 3 (or at least Finaseteride, 1 mg) to maintain current hairline

-Norwood IV, goal is to fill in frontal hairline to once again shape my face. 

This is a tricky question, because, no one can predict how well an HT will turn out let alone how long it will last since it is dependent on my things, biology/self-care/preventative treatment/ht result etc. Not even the best of the best HT surgeons will give you a definitive guaranteed answer or result.

With that said, from what I’ve read on forums and seen on YouTube, many whom have undergone an Ht that are happy with their results almost always say they wished that they had done it sooner or that they stressed too much over it, and, they almost always say if hairloss bothers you then go for the Ht you’ll be glad you did....obviously I’m paraphrasing...but that’s the gist I get.

I look at it this way....most people will happily spend thousands of $$ a year on vacations, fine dining, brand-name clothing, tech gadgets....which is fine, but it’s just temporary happiness, so if spending thousands of $$ on an HT that gives you better self-confidence and mental health, for 5,10,15 or 20 years, then I think that’s its worth it....life is short, enjoy while you can.

Good luck.

Assuming that you’re not in your 50s or more then the chances are you will require further surgery based on today’s surgical techniques & medications, so if 20 years is your requirement then I would say forget about it as you’re going to end up disappointed. 

• Moderators

I don't think anyone should have a hair transplant thinking that they will only need one in their lifetime unless they are over age 60 or so when they start.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.