Hair Transplant Surgery and the Lateral Slit Technique

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share this article with you guys, the lateral slit technique has refined hair restoration.

I encourage everyone to read this article and share with others.

Hair Transplant Surgery and the Lateral Slit Technique

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin,

Thanks for posting this article. I know there’s been some debate related to whether or not coronal or sagittal incisions produce more natural looking results. I’ve personally spoken to hair transplant surgeons that use both and  hav even seen a side-by-side comparison on the same scalp whereas 1/2 of the scalp was performed using the lateral foot technique and the other was performed using sagittal incisions.   Frankly, I’m not so sure there is a significant difference between the two. It’s possible that the lateral slit technique which uses coronal incisions allows for slightly more dense packing when appropriate for the patient, but I haven’t seen any real significant difference related to growth when it comes to either technique. As long as the surgeon is skilled and experienced, either technique can produce outstanding results.

Other thoughts?

Bill

4 hours ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Melvin,

Thanks for posting this article. I know there’s been some debate related to whether or not coronal or sagittal incisions produce more natural looking results. I’ve personally spoken to hair transplant surgeons that use both and  hav even seen a side-by-side comparison on the same scalp whereas 1/2 of the scalp was performed using the lateral foot technique and the other was performed using sagittal incisions.   Frankly, I’m not so sure there is a significant difference between the two. It’s possible that the lateral slit technique which uses coronal incisions allows for slightly more dense packing when appropriate for the patient, but I haven’t seen any real significant difference related to growth when it comes to either technique. As long as the surgeon is skilled and experienced, either technique can produce outstanding results.

Other thoughts?

Bill

Any pics of the example you reference?

Jj,

I don’t have it handy, but  if I recall, it was a patient posted by @Janna from Shapiro Medical Group.  In fact, the patient had half his scalp done using sagittal  incisions and the other half using coronal incisions   I believe there were surgical, progress and results photos that went along with this patient. As you can see I tagged Janna but I don’t know if she is even around anymore.   But if she is, perhaps she could repost it. In the meantime, I think I might try to do a search to see if I can find it. That will be a challenge though because it’s many years ago 

Best wishes,

Bill