Am I losing grafts?

I’m 20 days post op and shedding.  I know this to be normal.  When the hairs shed, many seem to have a very slightly thicker area at the end of them.  Is this the root/follicle???

I don’t feel pain or see any blood, I’m just freaked out that seeing a tiny thicker area at the bottom of the hair means I’m losing grafts, even 3 weeks out.

I’ve been doing some saltwater scuba diving which my doc said was OK to do at this point.

I’ve added an example.  This one is more pronounced...some have this, others less so, others not.

B4B4177B-6800-4F36-BE0C-0116F851BDEA.jpeg

Edited by purple18
Added a photo

I think you should be fine, as i was told, at 3 weeks post op the grafts are secure at your scalp.

just relax and don't think about it, some of the hair will shed, you would probably look worse than before and it will look like shit, but this phase will pass and then the fun will starts.

happy journey.

That's just a shed hair...definitely not a lost graft.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks guys.  Also followed up with my surgeon (at 4 am here in the Philippines) who was also not concerned.

The next day’s 4 dives left a lot of little shed hairs in my cap but now know that a very tiny white bulb at the end isn’t the root part of the hair required for regrowth.  Knowing this none of the hairs I saw in the cap yesterday concerned me at all. 

Recipient area is now absurdly white while the rest of me is rocking a nice tan.  Which was the goal for now!

Maybe the 4 hours a day of gentle saltwater immersion will do me a little good?  We’ll see!  I’ll sure miss it during the American winter ahead.

7 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Y r u out in the sun after only 20 days surgery ? 

Wearing a dark black bandanna whenever I’m in the water to avoid any rays penetrating to 10-20 meters depth (scuba not spending time on surface swimming), but also not pull a tight cap.  The instant I exit the water, another thick baseball cap (Go Cubs Go) covers the bandanna.  So I’m double layered on the recipient which was 90% in my crown.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:29 PM, purple18 said:

Wearing a dark black bandanna whenever I’m in the water to avoid any rays penetrating to 10-20 meters depth (scuba not spending time on surface swimming), but also not pull a tight cap.  The instant I exit the water, another thick baseball cap (Go Cubs Go) covers the bandanna.  So I’m double layered on the recipient which was 90% in my crown.

Good to see you're taking the extra precautions with the sun. I did the same, almost to the point of taking it overboard - but I didn't wanna risk it. 

A coworker just got a hair transplant 2 weeks ago and I found out yesterday that his doctor didn't even tell him to stay out of the sun, and I don't even know how a doctor wouldn't bring that up. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Yes it's wise for you to keep your scalp protected from the sun...glad to see that you're doing that.

The saltwater will help the healing process!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY