Don't sweat the Strip

purple18

I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post-op so I don't feel compelled at all to post a review or an outcome yet, but I wanted to leave one note here for guys debating FUE and FUT.

I was nervous as heck about the FUT scar but went for it for superior donor availability and survivability.  I don't know what the future may hold, or how my crown/hairline will wind up but so far the FUT scar issue has been like a kitten wrapped in blankets of candy for me.

At 10 days I had my staples out.  At 11 days I got a haircut on just the back and sides to prepare for my "ugly duckling" vacation.  The journey of many hats :)

Prior to FUT I had my donor area cut to a #4 guard as typical, and had grown out for about 3-4 weeks.  Even just a couple days post-op and with staples in this was enough for 95% coverage.

Told my stylist exactly where my strip scar was and what I had done.  She faded my sides and the nape of my neck, leaving it as-is around my strip scar.  Almost no show even relatively early and with almost no regrowth around the scar yet.  I'm sure things will continue to improve.

I may still have 99 problems with this but a scar ain't one.  

I went with Dr. David Josephitis of Shapiro Medical Group in Minnesota.  

Photos are 19 days p/o under bright lights after my first post-op ocean scuba dive.  (Hat on religiously before and after I go underwater to protect from sun)

It looked basically like this when I got a back-and-sides trim only a day after the staples came out (day 11).  I decided to book my operation sort of last minute so I was worried I didn't prepare enough by growing out the donor beforehand.  Was worried I was going to have a big smiley back there for awhile.  It didn't seem to matter.

I can feel little hairs near where the scar is starting to grow, either from shaving near the area or the closure method, not sure.  Will likely give it another small boost when that's mature.

I still am sweating if the 2675 grafts were enough to fix the crop circle that is my vertex/crown (fingers crossed) but feeling very positive about how my donor area looks.  This is around the length I wore it before the op and plan to afterwards.

The only (temporary) regret I have about choosing FUT is that I kinda wish I could buzz it for the regrowth phase and let my crown match the surrounding areas.  It's gonna look funny as hell for a while. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_0693.jpg

image1.jpeg

Edited by purple18

• 3 weeks later...