Contradicting advice post HT surgery

I'm reading (either from this forum or from doctors I've consulted) contradicting advice regarding several issues post-surgery.

- Going back to the gym:

I've heard takes that go from just 1 week to a full month. I'm a bit of a gym rat, so I'd like to go back to the routine as fast as possible, but at the same time don't want to risk the success of the surgery just because I want to rush it. When it'd be a prudent time to go back to an intense weightlifting workout in your experience?

- Vitamins and supplements after HT (not counting Finasteride):

Some doctors recommend a full-load of pills and others don't mention anything. How effective are saw palmetto, multivitamins, multiminerals, biotin, flaxseed oil, MSN, blackseed oil, spirulina... Could taking all of these simultaneously (on top of Finasteride) would be not only useless but also harmful?

- What to do with the scabs

Here the advice goes from "never touch them and let them fall naturally" to "from day 9 to day 16 you should remove them gently by massing the scalp, as it'd be bad to have them on your hair past the 16 day mark".

- Champu and conditioner to use and to avoid from day 10 onwards:

I'm not clear on which ones should I use.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Moderators

Going back to the gym: The biggest factor is whether you had FUE or FUT. FUT strip surgery takes around 10 days for the stitches to be taken out and after that the area will still be tender and tight and the scar can stretch, so for FUT I would advise not doing any strenuous exercise for at least 3 weeks and preferably a month or more for certain routines that will stretch the back of the neck such as anything involving bending over. If you had FUE then you can get back to light workouts after about a week and heavier, normal workouts after about 2 weeks.

Vitamins and supplements: No need to really stop except for anything topical that you would put on your hair. I personally stay away from taking any vitamins or supplements due to them always having extra filler junk that can cause other health issues when you start taking too many different things, but that's my personal view. You should try to get as much as you can from food first.

Scabs: I don't remember hearing any Drs say not to ever touch them at all (although I could be wrong). I do see some posts every once in a while where the person says they have not touched their scalp in weeks, but I think they are taking the instructions to an extreme. You should not be touching them at all or washing your hair for the first 5 days or so. After that you should be gently washing your hair without scratching or picking at any scabs. This is the part where you let the scabs fall off naturally, meaning don't try to pick or pull them off, but you should still be gently rubbing them / massaging them while washing your hair.

Shampoo and conditioner: After 2 weeks,, whatever you were using prior to the hair transplant can most likely be used afterwards.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

22 hours ago, clerksband said:

- Going back to the gym:

This is the most confusing one. As stated above, it depends on if you had FUE or FUT. I am guessing it is the former based on what you have been recommended. I would err on the side of caution and go with the conservative estimate. I also enjoy going to the gym and do heavy compounds. I did FUT and I was told 3-4 months. I have read others say 6 months and others say 1 month. The difference between 1 week and 4 weeks isn't that much and you could easily just start again in January (you probably wouldn't be going over the week of Christmas anyway). The difference between 1 month and 6 months is huge. Half a year without going to the gym. I have actually just opened a thread for this.

- Vitamins and supplements after HT (not counting Finasteride):

Take them and see how you feel. It is not forever. I take MSM, biotin and a collagen supplement as I had FUT. I use aloe vera gel on the recipient. Buy good quality supplements and not cheap ones if you are concerned about fillers. Which country are you in?

- What to do with the scabs

My clinic said to wash the top of the hair downwards (direction: from the crown to the forehead) and that removing scabs was fine if I didn't pick at them. As I was showering 2-3 times a day, they usually came off in the shower anyway as they were soft and getting massaged. I had my staples out this week and they said I had done a good job.

- Champu and conditioner to use and to avoid from day 10 onwards:

My clinic said to use the shampoo they had given until it runs out and then I can use my old shampoo again

I was one of the super cautious ones who did not pick at scabs, but let them fall off naturally.  I read of guys who almost attack their scalp.  I don't remember ever benefiting any time in my life from picking a scab.  3 months post op and I still pat my hair dry.  Sometimes I believe the conventional wisdom is more illogical than conventional.

https://www.stjoes.ca/patients-visitors/patient-education/u-z/PD 6225 Wound Care After Surgery.pdf

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Thanks for the responses. Mine is FUE.

Also, what about cutting your hair? I heard people in this forum would only cut the recipient area with scissor and not with clippers. Are clippers more harmful for the transplanted hair? 

I plan on having it buzzed constantly during the "ugly ducking" phase, is there something wrong with that?

7 minutes ago, clerksband said:

I plan on having it buzzed constantly during the "ugly ducking" phase, is there something wrong with that?

No. I will be doing it myself as soon as there is enough hair immediately around the incision to cover it. They had to shave that area to cut it out.

Yes, but almost everyone in this forum post-surgery let’s the hair grow naturally in the ugly ducking phase, even though it doesn’t look good at all. That’s why I’m wondering if there’s a reason behind it. Maybe it’s healthier to let it grown naturally at the beginning or so?

25 minutes ago, clerksband said:

Yes, but almost everyone in this forum post-surgery let’s the hair grow naturally in the ugly ducking phase, even though it doesn’t look good at all. That’s why I’m wondering if there’s a reason behind it. Maybe it’s healthier to let it grown naturally at the beginning or so?

Hey clerksband,

in my case i didn't cut the recipient until around 6.5 months although it looked weird not because someone told me it's healthier, i was just afraid to touch the area.

i had FUE, used organic alow-vera for my donor area.

taking MSM, Biotin, vitamin B12 and vitamin D.

trying to eat everyday walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seed and Brazil nuts (sometimes flaxseed).

Edited by wheretogo

50 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

in my case i didn't cut the recipient until around 6.5 months although it looked weird not because someone told me it's healthier, i was just afraid to touch the area.

Yes, that's exactly my worry. I'm afraid touching it might be bad... 

There are a few things I don't understand.  If your recipient area is not shaved, and once the donor area grows out - why are you experiencing an ugly duckling phase at all.  At about 6 weeks when my donor area had grown I looked like pre-surgery normal.  Another thing I don't understand is if you you are going to keep your hair buzzed real short why bother with a transplant at all.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

16 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Another thing I don't understand is if you you are going to keep your hair buzzed real short why bother with a transplant at all.

I plan to keep it buzzed only during the ugly duckling phase, because it doesn't look good then, hence the name. Once it's fully grown, then I'll have longer styles. I prefer to have it buzzed that with a few random hairs.

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

There are a few things I don't understand.  If your recipient area is not shaved, and once the donor area grows out - why are you experiencing an ugly duckling phase at all.  At about 6 weeks when my donor area had grown I looked like pre-surgery normal.  Another thing I don't understand is if you you are going to keep your hair buzzed real short why bother with a transplant at all.

In my case, I was a NW 4.5 so there was barely anything to see before the surgery anyway and implanting hairs in and around the native hair has caused shock loss in the hair I did have so I now look like a NW5 essentially - hair around the back and sides but nothing on top.

I went back to the gym after 4 weeks (post FUT) but felt it was a bit too soon.  I think I then returned after 8 weeks.

You should be ok but I'd avoid heavy lifts and any movement that will flex your head/neck.  Maybe instead of squats with a bar, hold a couple of dumbells instead.  Go for a weight you can do 12-15 reps would be my suggestion.

As for things like dumbbell presses and rows I'd stick with machines for the first 4 months or so.

Vitamins won't do any harm but could make your hair grow faster.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

I went back to the gym after 4 weeks (post FUT) but felt it was a bit too soon.  I think I then returned after 8 weeks.

What make you feel it was too soon? And how long after your second HT, the FUE one?

3 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

Vitamins won't do any harm but could make your hair grow faster.

Is that bad or non-desireable?

Did you cut/buzzed your hair after the last procedure? When?

2 minutes ago, clerksband said:

What make you feel it was too soon? And how long after your second HT, the FUE one?

Is that bad or non-desireable?

Did you cut/buzzed your hair after the last procedure? When?

Back and forth motion, like treadmill or rowing machine just felt like my scalp was bouncing up and down while there was still tension.  Not worth the risk.  I remember I caught a heavy cold not long after which kept me out of the gym anyway.

Back in the gym 2 weeks later with FUE.  Took about 25% of weight off my normal lifts for the first two weeks.

First haircut after 3 weeks.  I told the barber just to go a bit easy with the combing over the recipient area, which he did, and it was fine. 

57 minutes ago, clerksband said:

Thanks, really appreciate this. And on subsequent haircuts did you use just scissor or you buzzed it? And did you take some special care when cutting it or just back to normal?

Scissor on top but I can't see why a buzz would make any difference. I have seen some doctors advise no buzzing or haircuts for 6 months. Bizarre.

6 hours ago, clerksband said:

I plan to keep it buzzed only during the ugly duckling phase, because it doesn't look good then, hence the name. Once it's fully grown, then I'll have longer styles. I prefer to have it buzzed that with a few random hairs.

I will guess that your recipient area was shaved hence the extended 'Ugly Duckling' period.  Shaving the recipient area put a whole other spin on this topic, and if I had FUE again I would opt for the buzz initially.  I just don't see the benefit of continuing to buzz past the initial buzz. 

5 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

In my case, I was a NW 4.5 so there was barely anything to see before the surgery anyway and implanting hairs in and around the native hair has caused shock loss in the hair I did have so I now look like a NW5 essentially - hair around the back and sides but nothing on top.

Your post got me to thinking, and for the first time I went back and rated myself as a Norwood 4.5 to 5 based on old pictures.  I had excellent results from the first FUT transplant in 2011 (2,000), and suffered no shock loss that I knew of.  I was astonished by the results, and nobody knew I had a transplant.  I just had 2300 FUE done 3 months ago and I am waiting on results.  I went through a 6 week 'Ugly Duckling' period only because of the shaved donor area. 

15 hours ago, Dazed said:

I will guess that your recipient area was shaved hence the extended 'Ugly Duckling' period.  Shaving the recipient area put a whole other spin on this topic, and if I had FUE again I would opt for the buzz initially.  I just don't see the benefit of continuing to buzz past the initial buzz. 

Yes, I got the whole head shaved. I plan on keeping in this way during the whole ugly-ducking/shock-loss period. I just want to make sure that it’s totally safe and not-harmful for my recipient area to have it regularly shaved during these months.

I don’t want to let it grow while only a tiny % of the hairs is there on the donor area, that’s a personal preference.

Edited by clerksband

28 minutes ago, clerksband said:

Yes, I got the whole head shaved. I plan on keeping in this way during the whole ugly-ducking/shock-loss period. I just want to make sure that it’s totally safe and not-harmful for my recipient area to have it regularly shaved during these months.

I don’t want to let it grow while only a tiny % of the hairs is there on the donor area, that’s a personal preference.

Shock loss must me a bigger problem than I thought.  I have not experienced shock loss with either of my transplants.  I wonder what percentage actually do experience shock loss.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, clerksband said:

Another doubt I have: when the scabs fall, do they fall with the hair attached or it’s just the scab?

Sometimes with hair attached and sometimes not. It doesn't matter either way as most of the hair is going to fall out anyway. As long as you're not forcing the scabs off by picking at them then it doesn't matter if the hair falls out with the scab or if it falls out a week later.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.