Could I get the best outcome after FUE without using finasteride and minoxidil?

Hello,

Some doctors recommend using finasteride and minoxidil.

Why they recommend these? Do they help the hair transplant to work, or for the transplanted hair to continue to grow? Or just for protecting the existing native hair?

Could I get the best outcome without using finasteride and minoxidil?

I wish use only, as much as possible, natural products to avoid any side effects.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Optimistic1

No. The best long term outcome of a HT is achieved in combination with finasteride and/or minoxidil. Finasteride may help prevent permanent shock loss from a HT. Minoxidil may slightly accelerate growth after a HT.  But mostly they slow the loss of your remaining native hair. Finasteride in particular. You can still have a successful result without medication but it may be difficult to maintain long-term without meds.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

No. The best long term outcome of a HT is achieved in combination with finasteride and/or minoxidil. Finasteride may help prevent permanent shock loss from a HT. Minoxidil may slightly accelerate growth after a HT.  But mostly they slow the loss of your remaining native hair. Finasteride in particular. You can still have a successful result without medication but it may be difficult to maintain long-term without meds.

I couldn’t have summed it up better myself

OP, Hair loss for the majority of people is progressive. Meaning once it starts it will continue to the point of reaching your destined final Norwood which is dictated by your genes. Finasteride and minoxidil will potentially help to slow down or in some cases delay the ongoing hair loss. 

Most doctors who treat hair loss, specifically MPB, will recommend both low dose finasteride and minoxidil, both of which are approved by the FDA for treating MPB.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 12/14/2018 at 8:15 AM, Spaceman said:

I don't understand what you mean with this sentence "Finasteride may help prevent permanent shock loss from a HT." Please explain.

If recipient sites are among and between existing hair then some of the nearby existing hair may be shocked out by the HT procedure. If the shocked hair was weak and miniaturized it may not grow back.  Finasteride use prior to surgery may strengthen such weak hairs and prevent the shock loss, if it occurs, from being permanent. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2018 at 2:20 AM, Spaceman said:

If recipient sites are among and between existing hair then some of the nearby existing hair may be shocked out by the HT procedure. If the shocked hair was weak and miniaturized it may not grow back.  Finasteride use prior to surgery may strengthen such weak hairs and prevent the shock loss, if it occurs, from being permanent. 

what if i do not have weak and miniaturized fair? Is finasteride still required just to improve the results of a HT or purely just to prevent temporary shock loss?

Anyone who has MPB will experience a progression of loss over their lifetime.

The primary reason doctors recommend finasteride and minoxidil is to slow the rate of progression which for the majority of users, will help to preserve their native hair over longer periods of time.

So anyone with MPB has some weak hair and some that is miniaturizing.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

still doesn't answer the real concern. everyone understands that finasteride is required to prevent further hair loss. the questions here is if someone is not experiencing hair loss but simply wants to get a FUE to lower the hairline, is finasteride required for the FUE procedure itself and not to prevent further hair loss.

No, IMHO finasteride would not be required for the FUE procedure itself.

Gillenator