Advice for a newbie

Hi guys, 

My crown is receding and I used to use regaine and finasteride which had kept it stable for a few years but it wasnt re-growing.

I have been to two consultations about a year ago with hair transplant clinics in London UK and had slightly conflicting advice:

Farjo clinic said I was ready for a Transplant (FUT or FUE the choice was mine) with about 1500 follicles needed.

Harley Street Hair Clinic told me that because I have been using Rogaine & Finasteride they cant do a transplant now as the new hair they put in will kill the small hairs that have been growing back and I will end up back where I started. They sort of made me feel I had to stop using them and come back in a year or 2 for a progress update....

Therefore i stopped using them (1 year ago) obviously the hair loss has started to get worse in the meantime and I don’t know what to do...

I attach a pic of my crown and was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to comment on what you think is best?

Also can someone clarify if you have a transplant and some of the follicles don't take/grow...can you come back again at a later date and try to plug them again with a new donor follicle and is it possible that may take on a second go? Or once you have tried to plug a follicle is that it...game over for that follicle?

Kind regards

Leo Marks

image1.jpeg

• Administrators

A clinic told you to stop using finasteride and minoxidil? That doesn’t sound right. It’s usually the exact opposite.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

They did't tell me to stop as such, but they said if I wanted a transplant I wouldn't be able to do one whilst there were small hairs growing in my crown due to taking it. As the transplant would kill off the small hairs growing and I would be back to square one. That to me meant I had to stop, because I wasn't happy with the bald patch the size I had just maintaining it forever with the drugs...

However one other clinic gave me the contradicting advice that I was ready for a transplant now...

Thats why I am so confused....?

Leo

• Administrators

I think you mistook what they said. They probably meant to give the hair loss medication more time, so that those new hairs grow and mature fully. That doesnt mean stop taking the medication. I strongly suggest to get back on it asap. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.