shock loss in donor area: your experiences

hello guys I recently made a touch up. The first surgery went well but I wanted more density. The donor after the first transplant was perfect now instead after two weeks from the first surgery I see it a little sparse. I would like to ask those who had shock loss in donor, if they recovered their hair and after how long. My great fear is that the shock loss of the donor area is irreversible when it occurs. The clinic is excellent so this should reassure me, however as I said I'm afraid that the shock loss in donor will not recover. So i'm interested to know the experiences of people operated by important and good clinics. Thank you very much

• Moderators

Shock loss in the donor area is not uncommon. It should grow back in a few months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Normally we don’t allow links to other forums. However, if it is to show your pictures I will allow it this one time. I do suggest posting a recent picture on here. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It is not as uncommon as some may think to experience shock loss in the donor post transplant whether FUHT or FUE.

And in most cases, yes it does recover however it can take 3-4 months before the area begins to fill back in.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
2 hours ago, italianhairr said:

but what do you tell me about shock loss in donor?

The pictures aren't realistic because in someone picture the donor seems  good , in other bad, so i prefer some opinion regardless of pictures

Well it’s difficult to say if it’s actually shock loss or donor depletion without pictures. I had some minor shock loss in the donor area that resolved around 6 months after.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The main reason it will regrow back is because the donor hair is basically DHT resistant and considered terminal hair and also why it is primarily used for transplantation.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Best way to avoid it is for a doctor to use stick and place.  Punching several thousand pre-made openings (slits) is a sure fire way to cause shockloss.  If the slits are made in between previous grafts then these should grow back, but if it is between weak native hair affected by DHT then there's a stronger possibility it may not come back at all.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

1 hour ago, 1978matt said:

Best way to avoid it is for a doctor to use stick and place.  Punching several thousand pre-made openings (slits) is a sure fire way to cause shockloss.  If the slits are made in between previous grafts then these should grow back, but if it is between weak native hair affected by DHT then there's a stronger possibility it may not come back at all.

matt, are you talking about the donor area or the recipient?

15 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

matt, are you talking about the donor area or the recipient?

Oh yeah, recipient. I misread original post

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

As long as the original procedure has full matured, yes another pass is possible.

Gillenator