Can I wear a cap or turban after surgery?

Hi, I am a Sikh (keep full hair and wear a turban). I have a receding hairline as I wore a turban for most of my life and now that I want to get my hair trimmed, I am very conscious of the looks.

I am planning to get a hair transplant (FUE), however, I'd need to go back to work within 2.5 weeks of the surgery. Initially, until all my hair grows, I'd like to wear a turban to ensure I get a good transition from full hair to cut. I might need to wear it for 8 - 10 hours a day.

I haven't seen a lot of posts which explain if wearing a cap or a turban after a couple of days of surgery could impact the growth of the hair? I asked few doctors but everyone had a different response so I am a bit confused. Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by CuriousS

Hi Curious,

I deal with many patients in a similar position to you and many continue to wear the turban or patka until their hair grows out. It is of course important to address the way you actually tie the hair under the turban. It is likely that your hair loss is down to Sikh Traction Alopecia caused by the constant tight pulling of the hair over a long period of time.

After 2.5 weeks you will be OK to wear the hair covering of your choice but you may need to wear it loose because it is very likely your scalp may still be sore and irritable in places.

Get in touch with me if you wish me to elaborate.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:18 AM, Shera said:

Hi Curious,

I deal with many patients in a similar position to you and many continue to wear the turban or patka until their hair grows out. It is of course important to address the way you actually tie the hair under the turban. It is likely that your hair loss is down to Sikh Traction Alopecia caused by the constant tight pulling of the hair over a long period of time.

After 2.5 weeks you will be OK to wear the hair covering of your choice but you may need to wear it loose because it is very likely your scalp may still be sore and irritable in places.

Get in touch with me if you wish me to elaborate.

Hi Shera,

Thank you for your response. I agree that it needs to be loose. 

I am in touch with Dr. Bhatti to understand more about the procedure right now and keeping my fingers crossed! I might reach out to you if I have any additional questions. 

Regards,
S