How Many Grafts Are Needed To Achieve A Dense Hair Transplant

• Administrators

This question comes up time and time again, it's one of those questions that will never stop being asked.

I encourage all of you to take a few short minutes of your day to read the article.

How Many Grafts Are Needed To Achieve Density In A Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin, great topic. The answer to this question definitely does Barry so I appreciate you sharing this. For me, it took 9600 grafts to restore my hair too what it is now.   Of course, I was a full-fledged Norwood 5K, borderline Norwood 6.   Considering it takes about 25,000 follicular units to restore truth density on a  scalp as bold as mine, I have pretty damn good results.  For an adequate illusion of density  should be consistent all over the top of the scalp, I would need about 12,500 grafts.   That’s why my crown is still relatively thin although I know longer have a bald spot that’s for sure. But if I put another 3000 grafts and the crown, it would be pretty thick looking.  

Sometimes I think about going for it 🙂

Bill

• Thanks 1

Nice article.  In most recent years I have seen some doctors achieve unbelievable density in just one procedure.  It is truly amazing.  When I began my career the general thought was that a separation was required in between grafts to allow for grafts survival.  They were, and still are, in the belief that grafts compete for blood supply.  So, if you think of graft paper, and draw a dot at the end of each square, that would be similar to what was being done.  Some do would do a random placing for more naturalness, but the separation would be there.  That's why most can not achieve density in a single procedure.  This is what a call a 1 dimensional drawing. But most recently I've noticed this changing.  I call it three dimensional.  Think of a 4 hair graft and placing a 3 hair graft right in front of it so that the hair shingles in such a way that it creates more density.  Now, how many grafts?  It depends on many factors that have already been outlined. Again, look at results before making any decisions. 

• Like 1

What shape of head (besides obviously small) is most advantageous for transplant?  I have a bit of a pointy head, would this be good?  Because presumably you could plant a graft near the top and the hair shaft will “hang” covering more scalp?  Sort of like hanging Christmas ornaments near the (pointy) top of the tree?  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, hanginginthewire said:

What shape of head (besides obviously small) is most advantageous for transplant?  I have a bit of a pointy head, would this be good?  Because presumably you could plant a graft near the top and the hair shaft will “hang” covering more scalp?  Sort of like hanging Christmas ornaments near the (pointy) top of the tree?  

I would think that a pointy head would be worse as there would be more surface area to cover.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:52 AM, hanginginthewire said:

Beldar?

• Haha 2

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

This is a very subjective issue and dependent on many factors such as the dimensions of the recipient area, available donor, hair characteristics, how much native hair is present before the procedure, body chemistry, etc.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY