Is Microneedling Effective For Treating Hair Loss

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

This question has come up a few times, dermarolling continues to be used by many guys as a hair loss treatment.

I encourage all of you to read this little short article and share with others considering the treatment.

Is Microneedling Effective For Treating Hair Loss

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Personally, I couldn’t imagine wounding my scalp over and over again with a dermaroller. But the theory sounds interesting and I would love to hear from people who actually had this done.  

Have any members or guests reading this post tried microneedling? If so, how do you feel about the results?   And how many times have you had the procedure done? I am certain a one time procedure would do nothing but wound the scalp. But potentially after some time, maybe there was an affect? 

I look forward to hearing from people on this. 

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 2

I was once offered a job with a company that offered this service exclusively.  I was impressed.  They were targeting patients that had little to no donor area that anted to have, at least, something that resembled hair and that would frame their face.  I think they accomplished that.  It is not a tattoo.  It is an ink that requires no anesthetic.  Since that time, and that has been about 5 years, I've met with a number of doctors that offer the service.  It lasts about 3 years and it helps to minimize the contrast of the color of the hair and the color of the scalp.  Thus, there can be many different applications.  A woman just wanting to minimize contrast behind the hairline, which is typically where they commonly tend to lose hair, an African American that likes to keep his hair short, or the Anglo individual that has no donor left and now wants to address the crown.  Where I think it does a nice job is in the donor area.  It can help camouflage wide scars in the donor if that's bothersome to the patient.

This technique does not help in any way to retain or grow hair or to heal anything. Think of Toppik but a bit more permanent.  

@Phil36fromaus

I’m sorry, I meant to address @LaserCap

Yes, you are right, that’s what SMP is. But this topic is about micro needling so I’m not sure what @LaserCap was talking about.  That’s what is confusing us  

@LaserCap

Click on the link at the top of this topic and it will explain what microneedling is. 

Best,

Bill

Not convinced of its effectiveness, I’ve tried the Dermaroller and all I end with is hair tangled around the needles. I had a discussion with Dr Lorenzo a few months back and he advised it was a waste of time, although other surgeons do recommend it. So for me the jury’s out on this one. 

1 hour ago, Phil36fromaus said:

How long did you try it for?

Probably twice a week for several weeks. When you’re already on Finasteride, Minoxidil, Nizoral & MSM I suppose you do have to draw a line somewhere. Apparently you can’t apply Nizoral for at least twelve hours after using the Dermaroller. 

I am doing this religiously on Mondays and Thursdays. I am also doing the big 3 along side it. Keeping tabs here (link below) monthly. next update just after Christmas, will be 3 months. I have 100% seen growth where there was non before in the frontal hairline. Keeping hopes up this growth continues as there are quite a bit of vellus hairs there.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/52518-advice-por-favor-type-of-procedure-and-how-many-grafts/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-487775

• Like 1

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Must have been very early when I replied to the original post.  Inadvertently started writing about SMP.  

Time will tell, very marginal results.  Not sure if this needs to be done at a specific interval, say once every three months and is it done under local? 

We just have not heard enough feedback from guys who have used it to be able to judge the merits of it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY