Post Surgery Shock Loss Timing??

I received 1900 grafts 12 days ago and they all seem to be in tact. I'm told they will all shed before growing again. My questions are:

1. Do they shed all at once, or very slowly on at a time? How long is the shedding period?

2. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process so they go as fast as possible? Shampooing more? Minoxidil?

Thanks.

Typically, after 7 days, you are asked to scrub the crusts off.  Whatever stub came with the graft, will start growing from day one. Whatever the length of the hair is, that will fall off as well.  It is not shedding.  Once the graft reincorporates into the blood supply, (3-4 months later), the transplanted hair will begin growing.

You need to get the crusts off!  Not doing so after X amount of time can result in an infection.  Get in the showing, let them soak, and scrub.

You can resume Rogaine 7 days post op.

29 minutes ago, Curious said:

I would not scrub the crusts off until after day 12.  Shampoo carefully.

No, all the crusts have been gone for a few days. It's just short hair, as if I buzzed it down. I know they're going to fall out sooner or later before growing for real, but I was just hoping I could compel them to fall out sooner.

I don't think the grafts falling out sooner has an effect on when they will start growing back. The grafts will ultimately start growing when they feel like it - and for some people, significant growth can start as early as month 3, and for others it may be later. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as there's nothing you can do to speed up the process. 

If your grafts haven't shed, leave them be and be grateful for the extended coverage while you wait on the permanent cycle to start. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 12/2/2018 at 5:32 PM, LaserCap said:

Typically, after 7 days, you are asked to scrub the crusts off.  Whatever stub came with the graft, will start growing from day one. Whatever the length of the hair is, that will fall off as well.  It is not shedding.  Once the graft reincorporates into the blood supply, (3-4 months later), the transplanted hair will begin growing.

You need to get the crusts off!  Not doing so after X amount of time can result in an infection.  Get in the showing, let them soak, and scrub.

You can resume Rogaine 7 days post op.

It takes 3-4 months for a graft to establish blood supply? Any sources for this? Several doctors say it takes about a week

Every time you have a consultation, ask.  How long does it take the hair to start growing.  It is typically 3-4 months post op. If it took a week, how come the hair does not start growing right away?  Think of a tree.  it takes time to root before it gets going.  I realize that as soon as the graft is in place, it is in the system, per say.  Just semantics.  

21 hours ago, PlzRespond said:

It takes 3-4 months for a graft to establish blood supply? Any sources for this? Several doctors say it takes about a week

It takes about a week for the grafts to be anchored (most being anchored after the first 72 hours), but it takes at least 3 months for those hairs to start growing. Like LaserCap said, it's very similar to a tree... It can be rooted and stable, but it will still take time for significant growth to be established - at minimum 3 months. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56