Anyone tried topical Dutasteride 1%?

psychopomp1

Hi,

I am 42 and was taking Finasteride 1mg (Propecia) for the last 10 years or so along with regaine 5% foam and this did a pretty good job in stopping my hair loss and regrowing hair at the same time. However due to 'brain fog' (aka mild depression) I stopped taking Finasteride around 6 months ago.  Luckily the brain fog seems to have disappeared and I feel a lot better mentally (i also do intense cardio exercise daily) but this has come at a cost...my hair is thinning quite rapidly despite continuing to use Regaine/Minoxidil 5% 

I've started to use Nourkrin Man recently (a few weeks ago) and my hair - overall - has started growing faster but I'm not 100% convinced this will re-grow the inactive hair follicles though I'm willing it try it out for at least 6 months as the manufacturer recommends.

Anyway I'm thinking of stopping Minoxidil foam 5% altogether and replacing this with topical 1mg Dutasteride topical gel (available from Belgium) which you apply to the scalp just once a day. Has anyone tried this and how effective has it been? Have you seen any sides? I don't think going back to oral Finasteride/Dutasteride is an option for me.

Cheers

psycho

Minoxidil works through an entirely different mechanism than dutasteride for hair loss. Minoxidil stimulates growth, keep Hairs in anagen longer, and also acts on some “unknown” levels. Dutasteride inhibits 5alpha reductase which lowers dht  as a result. If you have benefitted from minoxidil and u drop it then u will lose whatever gains it gave you.

id research topical dutasteride more. I’m not entirely convinced it is not absorbed in your blood stream (albeit probably absorbed at lower levels than when taken orally).

Systemic absorption (oral dose) is MAGNITUDES more effective than topical.  Case closed.

If you ever took ORAL minox (Loniten) vs even pharmaceutical-grade (and tested/verified) 30% minox cream - again.  NO comparison.

Topical is unfortunately a poor alternative and there was some hype but I would guess if you asked the most trusted surgeons out there if they have good feedback on topical dut - if they are NOT affiliated w/making any extra money off of prescribing/selling it to you; all would tell you topical is better than nothing but in no way compares to systemic absorption (oral dose).

Oh, and generics are a no-go for meds.  One should always pay up for name brand if using oral meds (which you are not).  If you really understand generics in the pharmaceutical industry you would realize that there can be significant differences in quality/purity/efficacy. 

But how would people know without controlled double-blind studies?  Simple.  They wouldn't.

Edited by jjsrader