Fine hair fall off after 5 months of HT

In about a week it's going to be 5 months of my HT,  my results are fine and I'm really satisfied. Everyday I comb my hair and see few fine hair (about 5-10) in the comb which are obviously the new hair growing after HT. Is it normal?

Totally normal. However, there's no way to know for sure if these are new hairs that are shedding or if they're native hairs that were on the last leg of the growth cycle. Either way, try not to get in the habit of overanalyzing your hair and the progress you're making. It's relatively early in the process for you, and I found the best thing I did to help relieve stress was not to not examine my hair on a daily basis. Trust that it's all working as it's designed to, and maybe get a personal status report once every two weeks or so. Otherwise, you might drive yourself crazy. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

12 hours ago, pkipling said:

Totally normal. However, there's no way to know for sure if these are new hairs that are shedding or if they're native hairs that were on the last leg of the growth cycle. Either way, try not to get in the habit of overanalyzing your hair and the progress you're making. It's relatively early in the process for you, and I found the best thing I did to help relieve stress was not to not examine my hair on a daily basis. Trust that it's all working as it's designed to, and maybe get a personal status report once every two weeks or so. Otherwise, you might drive yourself crazy. 

Transplanted hair that shed would grow again, right?

9 hours ago, wheretogo said:

Transplanted hair that shed would grow again, right?

Yep! And with time, the new hairs will mature and get thicker as well. They start out fine and wispy and then continue to thicken over the course of 12-18 months. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

17 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

Let's say 3 years post op, transplanted hair that shed normally like donor hair will grow again like donor hair?

Yes. Exactly. It will go through the same cycle as all the other hairs, and given that donor hair is typically resistant to DHT, the idea is that it won't be susceptible to MPB. Therefore even when it "falls" based on the hair cycle, it will come back. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 11:49 AM, wheretogo said:

One more thing pkipling,

how do you know that you finished your growth? like that all your grafts popped out and how you check guarantee for percentage growth?

I don't know of way to get an exact percentage, but to answer your question in two parts:

1) Typically your growth will be complete by the 18th month. Most of the growth is done before then, but the hairs will continue to mature and thicken up to that time.

2) In terms of knowing if all your grafts "popped out", it really comes down to being satisfied with the illusion of density that you were aiming for (with realistic expectations, of course) and you and the surgeon visually evaluating if the density looks like what could be expected based on all the personal factors that play a role (state of hair loss, how aggressive the loss is, and the qualities of your hair like color, coarseness, etc.)

If the results are such that there are clear areas where grafts did not grow, then that's a whole other story and would need to be addressed with the surgeon. But aside from that, don't overthink it. 

Thanks.

i'm thinking about doing another procedure in 2 months. it will be 12.5 months post 1 op and it will be in another part of the scalp.

it will be in the mid scalp and crown, but i would like to add some density to the front.

should you add grafts to the front "just" 12.5 months post op or need to wait the whole 18 months?

54 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

Thanks.

i'm thinking about doing another procedure in 2 months. it will be 12.5 months post 1 op and it will be in another part of the scalp.

it will be in the mid scalp and crown, but i would like to add some density to the front.

should you add grafts to the front "just" 12.5 months post op or need to wait the whole 18 months?

Case by case basis, and this is worth discussing with your surgeon. It'd be important to know what (if any) longterm plan he had in mind for you, how stable your hair loss is, etc. how you're responding to the first transplant, etc. But in terms of the timing after the 1st transplant, generally speaking I don't think doing a follow up procedure one year later is an issue.