Flying for Procedure Tomorrow - Questions

Good morning!

I am flying out for my procedure tomorrow and I have a few questions:

1) Would anybody be interested in seeing results from a surgeon/clinic that is never mentioned on this forum but enjoys an excellent reputation (even Dr Feriduni said he was "an excellent choice" and he only said that about 2 clinics in the list I gave him of other people I was considering - others he outright told me to avoid)? I am 50-50 about whether to do a photo blog or not. I think lots of people just want to see cases from doctors who they are considering and people on this forum wouldn't be considering the clinic I am going to. If it is just for curiosity then I probably won't do it. Feel free to give me your opinions.

2) Any advice for immediately after the surgery that evening? I have been told to wear a button up shirt so I don't have to take anything off over my head. Anything else you wish you had known before you did yours (it is FUT if that helps focus responses)?

3) The doctor has said he will shave the top part of my head but leave the backs and sides to hide the FUT opening and the staples. I am worried this will leave me looking like Friar Tuck from Robin Hood though and I think I would just rather them shave everything to the same length. I will eventually have to cut the back and sides anyway as it will look like a nest if I don't. What is the opinion of other people on this? Best haircut to hide the procedure? As I said, I am debating having it all cut to the same length and then will keep it at a number 3 until the regrowth appears. Opinions? Thoughts? Alternatives?

4) Is it worth flying back out to him to have the staples removed? His receptionist has said they give us a tool and we can do it ourselves and it is very easy. I just think it will be safer if they do it and also gives an opportunity for the clinic to look at the procedure and FUT wound after 2 weeks and give their opinion on its progress.

5) How hard is it to sleep for the first few days?

6) What do you do during the surgery? Movie? Book? Sleep?

7) Any post-surgery advice for helping with recovery/redness? Aloe vera? Vitamins? Supplements? I am all ears.

Thanks in advance!

I encourage you to document your experience, regardless of whether or not the surgeon is recommended on this site.  For the first few days, above all, don’t bump your head. Also, use a neck pillow to sleep as it helps avoid pressure on the incision.  I’d leave your hair long. It will give you more options to conceal the scar down the road. Number 3 may not be enough to cover the incision initially. The surgeon will shave a bit on the margins of the incision so you may need your hair a bit longer initially for cover. You can always cut it later, after the staples are removed. Finally, I don’t think you need to fly back to have staples removed or to be rechecked in two weeks, unless you have complications of some sort. Best of luck!

2) Make sure you have ice packs ready, as well as whatever food you're going to want where you're staying, so you don't have to venture out or anything. Surgery is a big thing to put your body through, so you want to treat yourself with kid gloves.

3) Number 3 won't hide an FUT incision. You are probably better off looking like Friar Tuck for the moment--you're going to look rather strange for a week or two anyway, so you can always revisit this decision after the operation, but before you let anyone see you. For the moment, I'd recommend letting them shave the recipient areas to make the job easier for them, but leaving everything else so you can re-evaluate after. Remember, you're going to be spending a lot of the next few months in hats anyway, so the Friar Tuck thing might be less of a concern than you think.

4) That really depends how far you are talking about flying. You can generally get stitches (and I guess staples) removed by a local doctor if you don't want to do it yourself, and things will probably be fine. I personally scheduled a 2 week holiday anyway to recover from my surgery, so I was able to go back and have them remove the stitches and have a look at it, which did give me peace of mind. But if you're talking about flying thousands of miles again after 2 weeks, I would think the extra stress this puts on your body would if anything be counterproductive.

5) Sleeping is not very comfortable when you're trying to avoid rolling onto your recipient areas. You quickly find you can only sleep in one or two positions. Your surgeon may give you some sleeping pills to help with this.

6) In my case, they gave me a couple of valium and massaged my feet -- I wasn't asleep for most of it, but kind of half-asleep. The time passed very easily.

7) People swear by aloe vera and MSM. I used aloe vera for a while, and am still taking MSM, but n=1 so I have absolutely no way of knowing if either of them actually helped. The main thing is to follow your doctor's advice and take it extremely easy for the first couple of weeks, do NOT lift weights or do any strenuous exercise for 4-6 weeks, and absolutely keep it protected from the sun for the first few months.

Edited by seamike

Definitely post a thread with your results and document your journey - whether the surgeon is on the recommended list or not. 

If you're concerned about removing the staples, is there a third option where you can go to your general physician so that you're spending time/money flying back to the HT surgeon? 

Sleep elevated. It will be uncomfortable but you'll reduce the risk of facial swelling if you do. 

I had FUE, and in hindsight, I wish I would've buzzed my entire head from the very beginning. With FUT, that may not be as viable of an option. The hairstyle may not be ideal, but looking back, that ugly duckling phase hardly holds any water as a significant memory, so maybe that will help put your mind at ease about the appearance concerns after the procedure. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks guys!

I think I will keep it long until the staples are out and then buzz down everything that is left to around a 5 or 6 or something similar. What do you think the shortest I can cut it down to is and still keep the incision "hidden"? How long does it take for the incision to heal? I could ask the latter tomorrow at the clinic but while I have you all.......

The minimum length seems to depend on a few factors (how much the scar has healed, what kind of hair you have--straight, wavy, light, dark) but the number I've always heard is a minimum of number 4, even after the scar is fully healed. I think 5 or 6 is probably more realistic on average, in the early stages.

How long it takes to heal also seems to vary a lot. It only takes a couple of weeks for the incision itself to heal (that's when you get your stitches out of course), but it can take anywhere from a few months to a whole year for the scar to finish healing. Just depends on how your body works--everyone has a different rate of healing and a different tendency to form scar tissue.

Hi all! I have had the procedure done. The result is amazing. The work is very, very clean - almost no redness at all. My hairline is how it was when I was in my early 20s (I have never had a straight hairline like Clooney or Pitt and to be honest, I don't think it would suit my face). It is very natural. They said I have great hair and scalp characteristics and probably won't need another procedure unless I want one. 4,400+/- grafts in the end. I have still not seen the incision though but they said it looks fine.

Edited by TrixGlendevon

Hey trix so happy for u .. glad u got it done n happy with the surgery .. yeah I went to hasson .. just finished my surgery also .. just got back to the hotel .. guess we balding surgery buddies .. will watch ur progress with mines and see how things progress .. I ended doing FUE with Hasson however for 2500 grafts .. he said my scalp laxity was not good .. I have a small head and I only did scalp exercises for 8 days .. so we made the decision on the spot to do fue.. cost me $20,000.. but the work looks good .. nice n clean almost 11 hours worth of surgery .. they took their time on me .. so glad it’s over now .. I’m ready to rest ..