2 questions

one, when you say transplated hair doesn't shed you mean that it acts like the hair in the donor area? some hairs will shed but others will grow again instead?

second, is every pimple that pops up in the scalp suggesting of hair that about to grow?

Edited by wheretogo

• Administrators

Who says transplanted hairs dont shed? Every single hair on your scalp goes through a life cycle. The anagen (growth) phase, Categen (transitional) phase and Telogen (rest) phase. 

Pimples are a good indicator that hairs are trying to sprout. However, that doesn’t mean it is always the case. There could be an infection causing pimples called folliculitis. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The subject of shedding hair comes up frequently. To most in the industry, when discussing the subject, they'll be quick to point out that there are two types of loss.  The hair that you see in the shower, comb, etc.....this is normal.  Farther, they'll explain that 100 hairs a day is normal.  Simply, and in laymen terms, the follicle gets tired and needs a resting period.  After X amount of time, the hair will return.  And you will not shed all hair at one time.  It is random.  Some one day, some the next day, etc. To me this is shedding.

The second type of loss is the one you don't see.  Hair dissipates and miniaturized. Eventually it is hair you can hardly see and does not seem to grow.  Eventually this hair disappears.  This is hair loss.

Now. let's address the two questions you have,

Prior to the follicles being harvested from the donor area, the area is shaved,  This is for all types of transplant procedures.  Typically a small stubble is left and this is what is used to transport the graft to the recipient area. Days after the procedure tiny crusts will begin forming in each of the sites the doctor created during the procedure, (and where the grafts were placed).  7-8 days later, depending on the post op instructions the practice gives you, you will start washing the hair normally and some, if not all, of the crusts, will fall off.  By this time you may be able to see a bit of growth of the native hair that came with the graft.  The falling of the crusts/hair---sometimes patients feel this is shedding.  It's not.

3-4 months later, once the follicle has had the opportunity to reincorporate into the system, the grafts will begin growing.  At that point the grafted hair retains a memory and will continue acting as if it was still in the donor area.  Now, does this hair shed like it did at one point?  I believe so...but the hair returns.  I've never seen miniaturized hair int he donor area except for patients that become 7s. And even in this patients, they will typically keep a strong donor area in a small section in the back.  Unfortunately it is so little that not much can be accomplished in these cases.  Other patients that have issues with the donor are women.  They tend to be global thinners, meaning that they tend to lose hair all over, including the donor.  Medical conditions, such as a self immune system can also have an effect on patients.  

With regards to the second question,

When the graft is transplanted, it comes with the gland.  The gland does not know what to do and it blocks the hair.  It typically turns into a zit that you drain and clean.  Half dozen about 3 months post op is normal.  This just means that the hair its on its way.  The doctor can give you a cleanser to help minimize this.  

Thanks Melvin and thanks LaserCap for that detailed response.

yes, i think i didn't explain myself properly. what i meant is that the common view is that the transplanted hair won't be like the native hair which was at that area, it suppose to stay forever like they say, so if you see hair shed from the recipient area a year post op you know another hair will come instead in the future?, hope it's more clear.

The easiest way I've heard it explained is that any transplanted hair will last as long in the recipient area as it would have lasted in the donor area. The hairs in the donor area aren't typically subject to MPB, and that holds true even when they're relocated to another part of the scalp. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I gather that you had some native hair to start with.  It would be difficult to tell which hair shed.  The difference between the hair in the front and top in comparison to that of the donor area is hair quality.  The best hair, with the most thickness, etc...will come from the donor.  Hair in front and top is typically a finer, and not as thick.  This can be easily seen under magnification.  I would encourage you to schedule an appointment with your doctor and ask him to scope the area and take photos.  Do the same 6 and 12 months post op.  This should give you a decent idea of what is happening.

PLEASE continue finasteride and, perhaps, add another modality to the mix.  

First of all i'm 9.5 months post op. almost haven't had native hair at the recipient in the time of the surgery.

you can see here - 

never used meds, not going to either.

just wanted to know that area transplanted won't be thin again, so if i see hair shed i know it will grow again?

Seasonal sheds are a thing, and you'll notice with time that they are cyclical. There are times when my hair is thinner than others, but it's all a natural part of the hair growth cycle, so don't panic when you see this happen. It's all normal and to be expected. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56