Are any of the top surgeons known also for beard transplants?

Hi guys,

My first thread started on here : )

So I am 35 and have been balding since my late 20's. It's finally gotten to the point where it needs to be truly addressed beyond fin and minoxidil. I'm looking at getting a HT in the next year and I use this website largely for my research into which surgeon I am going to choose. My first question is... do any of these top surgeons do scalp to beard or beard to beard transplants as well? While I'm doing my HT I am going to also get x amount of hairs transplanted into my goatee and mustache as it is really weak and patchy. I'm wondering if surgeons like H&W, Konior, Diep, Shapiro could do both for me over the same surgery.

Cheers for the advice and info boys... it's invaluable.

do not get a beard transplant before you tired minoxidil beard journey first. 6 to 12 months. minoxidil works to grow facial hair too if you apply it to beard area.(i have personally done it) you can also try in addition derma rolling or 10% tugain if 5% not working. hell even a cycle will promote facial hair(use finasteride if u do of course) google is ur friend if u never heard of minoxidil beard journey

beard transplant are very hard to make natural def try the natural way first and see what u end up with. ur head hair is so small compared to beard thickness a scalp to beard transplant would look off. best u can do is neck beard if u got one to cheeks to fill in gaps as last resort

Edited by BlessUp
  • Like 1

Surgery should always be the last resort however if that is the best option for producing the desired end result regardless if its the scalp or beard, the key is to use donor that is the best in visual compatibility for the recipient area.

IMHO, any of the top docs can potentially do a good job with a facial hair transplant.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

20 hours ago, BlessUp said:

do not get a beard transplant before you tired minoxidil beard journey first. 6 to 12 months. minoxidil works to grow facial hair too if you apply it to beard area.(i have personally done it) you can also try in addition derma rolling or 10% tugain if 5% not working. hell even a cycle will promote facial hair(use finasteride if u do of course) google is ur friend if u never heard of minoxidil beard journey

beard transplant are very hard to make natural def try the natural way first and see what u end up with. ur head hair is so small compared to beard thickness a scalp to beard transplant would look off. best u can do is neck beard if u got one to cheeks to fill in gaps as last resort

I had never heard of 'minoxidil beard journey before', thank you for the recommendation and advice : )

My issue is I have next to no facial hair, i get enough of it under my chin and around the underside of my neck but barely any in the desired area's (damn you genetics lol), hence why I'm so interested in getting it done, most of the top surgeons I'm considering for the HT don't have any pics up of beard transplants, I think Gabel might from memory but no one else.

12 hours ago, gillenator said:

Surgery should always be the last resort however if that is the best option for producing the desired end result regardless if its the scalp or beard, the key is to use donor that is the best in visual compatibility for the recipient area.

IMHO, any of the top docs can potentially do a good job with a facial hair transplant.

Thanks for that Gill, I've been taking fin and applying minox' since I was 29, I'm 35 now and though it's slowed it down it hasn't stopped it entirely, now is the time for a transplant, so I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone and tackling the facial hair portion as well, especially living in New Zealand I am a long way from the tops surgeons so if I'm going to travel to the States or Canada for the op than I may as well get both done at the same time IF it's actually a good idea.

Hi KiwiGuy.

Scalp to beard is not ideal, beard to beard is the best way forward to get the best result.

You can thicken/fill parts of your beard/mustache using grafts taken beneath your chin area, the beard shadow area.

Many of Dr Bhatti's patients have hair and beard transplants simultaneously, it is not uncommon.

Typically the best result for a beard transplant is to take the follicles from under the chin. It will be an exact match.  The question will be, based on what you've written, if there will be enough to accomplish your goals.  Dr. Arocha does tremendous work and has a great deal of experience with beards transplants.  I would take a number of photos and send them to him.  He is in Houston.  

Kiwi,

On my third procedure, my surgeon used roughly 20 of my scalp grafts to fill in a few small bare gaps on my goatee...the regrowth was fine and I was happy with the result.

Beard to beard is the best donor for what you are seeking but it sounds like you may not have enough beard donor.

So as Laser suggested, send some pics to the docs you are considering and see what they have to say.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you to each and everyone one of you guys that left a comment/ had some advice, definitely more to think about, I think you are right also, I will follow up with the doctors I am considering for the hair transplant itself. Cheers : )

I recommend that you share some pictures so that we can provide more profound help.

Some advice without knowing your overall status:

- Scalp hair is more valuable than beard hair, because scalp hair is always in fashion, the hipster beard will disappear and the shaven look will come back

--> DO not make a compromise in your HT clinic by combining scalp and beard transplant (You can have 2 separate procedures easily).