Dr Rahal - Living Legend 

JohnRoss

I wanted to share this review for anyone looking to achieve a premier league hair transplant. If you genuinely want the best, you HAVE to go to Dr Rahal. There are, of course, other good doctors who produce good results - but literally NO ONE gets results like Rahal. The guy has changed my life. 

I had my first transplant with Rahal around 12 years ago at the age of 26. I started losing hair early and I was virtually suicidal over it. I couldn’t cope with it, but was terrified of having a transplant because of the strip scar. At that stage, FUE was in it’s infancy and the growth rates were very poor compared with strip so if I wanted a transplant it had to be a strip or nothing. I eventually decided that I didn’t care about the strip scar - if it didn’t work, a wig was my back up plan. 

I went to Rahal and he did strip putting 4000 grafts in to my hairline. Around the same time I also started taking finasteride, and eventually started using minoxidil too. The hairline design was relatively conservative because we assumed I would lose a lot more hair over the coming decade and would need to keep my donor area to fill in the top of my head in the not too distant future. However, the finasteride and minoxidil worked brilliantly for me maintaining my existing hair so three months ago - now aged 38 - I went back for a second procedure to lower the hairline a little further. We used another 2500 grafts, just to lower the hairline and restore my temple points and achieve a more youthful looking hairline. Since I already had a strip scar, we decided to go with strip again. 

It has only been just over three months and the results are already incredible yet again. This most recent procedure wasn’t strictly necessary - it was simply a case of touching up and improving on an already brilliant result. I guess I was greedy and wanted closer to the ideal teenage hairline again. When you look at the pictures of where I started and where I am now, the result is unbelievable. People don’t think I had a hair transplant or thinning hair - people actually comment on how thick my hair looks, which is incredible since I was well on my way to being a slap head in my mid-20s. 

Getting to Ottawa is not the easiest. I travelled from the UK. And Dr Rahal likes you to hang around in his guesthouse for a week after, resting with your head elevated at 45 degrees in a recline. It kinda sucks, but the way I looked at it was it is only one week out of my life and if it means a great result, then so be it. I wanted to follow every aspect of his protocol - pre-op and post-op to make sure I could get the best possible result. 

I have attached a couple of pictures - one before, and one this morning. You can see in the current photo the new hairs just planted at the hairline and temple points, which are still short and a little sparse - but still an incredible amount of growth considering it was only three months ago, and that is only going to get better.

I realise this sounds like I am being paid to promote Dr Rahal - but I am not. I am just so incredibly happy with what he has done for me and I cannot describe the difference he has made to my self confidence and I am surprised he is not talked about more on these forums. I know there are other great doctors out there, but none in his league. He is genuinely in a league of his own, so please, do yourself a favour - if you are going to put yourself through the trauma of a hair transplant, get yourself a flight to Ottawa and go to the best! 

Edited by JohnRoss

10 minutes ago, jj51702 said:

Wow is that really 3 months post op? When did u start seeing sprouts develop?

So it’s only the front centimetre and a half that is at three months - the majority is 12 years old! But yeah, the growth this time has been quite literally unbelievable. Some of the hairs never fell out and just kept growing. Then more started sprouting at 7 or 8 weeks. I will say that I am incredibly itchy right now.... but I can cope with that 😍

• 4 weeks later...

So I am now at 4 months and I thought I would add a little update. I think I must be near 100% of hairs growing which, I believe, is pretty unheard of. I have no idea how Dr Rahal managed to achieve this or if I just got lucky... but this is one of the best things I have ever done in my life. The hairs at the front are obviously still a lot shorter than the hairs from the previous transplant however I  had my hair cut last week to try and blend the two sections. Hopefully within another couple of months it will have grown to the point where there is no difference between the original transplant and the new one. 

Edited by JohnRoss

It's looking good man. I love seeing this kind of stuff.

Sadly, there aren't many "legends" left in the industry. 

Unfortunately, many up-and-coming docs just don't see the value in specialization, or they just don't give a shit. Most hair transplant docs these days are jack of all trades, master of none cosmetic surgeons.

Basically performing facelifts and boob jobs (not that I'm against boob jobs) and only hair transplants on the side.

I call them part-time hair transplant doctors. That's being kind. Others call them full-time hair transplant hacks.

Enjoy styling your hair again buddy...Enjoy feeling like yourself again 🙂 Get out there and have fun!

Before I chose Rahal the first time I consulted with a number of the 'bag name' doctors at the time and they all had impressive before and after pictures. When I actually met with Rahal patients and saw his results up close however there was no comparison - the density he can achieve is unparalleled. I am a very highly strung, uptight perfectionist and to satisfy me I needed a near perfect outcome. I can accept not everyone needs / wants that level of perfection, but if you are looking for the absolute best of the best then Rahal is the man. I am just devastated he will retire at some point, probably before I need my third and final transplant in another 10 years. 

Some people asked for more close up pictures so I have taken this morning when I got out the shower and my hair was wet which I think is a good way of showing real density. You can see the new section at the front isn't as dense as the previous transplant (yet) but I just can't believe how good it looks so quickly this time.

Literalno, I really wouldn't worry about your regrowth at this stage. Month four is still early and at this stage most people are just starting to see a few hairs coming through. I got exceptionally lucky in the way I healed. We both had the same surgeon and same team, only a couple of weeks apart so you should get as good a result as me. It's just taking your body longer to recover. You should definitely speak to Rahal if you are having doubts though... you had the best of the best and you will be fine with a bit more time. Send me some pics and I will give you an honest opinion :)

Edited by JohnRoss
  • Like 1

@literalno nothing to worry about man. Shouldn't expect anything at 4.5 months. Maybe, and I mean maybe, the first signs of growth. But everyone's different. 6 to 9 months is when you'll notice everything is on track. I know it's tough. I've been there. But in hair transplant terms, it's not a long time. It's hard not to compare your progress to other guys, I get it. Just keep in mind, you went with one of the best. Everything will work out 🙂 happy to share my experience anytime.

• Like 1

The only thing I did differently this time was take vitamin supplements. I thought it was probably a load of rubbish, but for the sake of £20 for a six month supply it was worth a shot. Not sure if it had anything to do with my faster growth rate this time, but for anyone looking to have a shot this is the vitamin I used. 

https://www.boots.com/boots-skin-hair-and-nails-180-tablets-10149709

On 12/28/2018 at 2:07 PM, JohnRoss said:

Before I chose Rahal the first time I consulted with a number of the 'bag name' doctors at the time and they all had impressive before and after pictures. When I actually met with Rahal patients and saw his results up close however there was no comparison - the density he can achieve is unparalleled. I am a very highly strung, uptight perfectionist and to satisfy me I needed a near perfect outcome. I can accept not everyone needs / wants that level of perfection, but if you are looking for the absolute best of the best then Rahal is the man. I am just devastated he will retire at some point, probably before I need my third and final transplant in another 10 years. 

Some people asked for more close up pictures so I have taken this morning when I got out the shower and my hair was wet which I think is a good way of showing real density. You can see the new section at the front isn't as dense as the previous transplant (yet) but I just can't believe how good it looks so quickly this time.

Literalno, I really wouldn't worry about your regrowth at this stage. Month four is still early and at this stage most people are just starting to see a few hairs coming through. I got exceptionally lucky in the way I healed. We both had the same surgeon and same team, only a couple of weeks apart so you should get as good a result as me. It's just taking your body longer to recover. You should definitely speak to Rahal if you are having doubts though... you had the best of the best and you will be fine with a bit more time. Send me some pics and I will give you an honest opinion :)

IMG_9653.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Rahal, I believe he is training other doctors, at least during my surgery he had another female doctor in the OR that he introduced me to who was there just to observe - surgical skill is key but let's hope he can pass on some of his artistry as well, I think that's what differentiates him from his peers

Edited by home1212

On 12/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, HairLossMentor said:

@literalno nothing to worry about man. Shouldn't expect anything at 4.5 months. Maybe, and I mean maybe, the first signs of growth. But everyone's different. 6 to 9 months is when you'll notice everything is on track. I know it's tough. I've been there. But in hair transplant terms, it's not a long time. It's hard not to compare your progress to other guys, I get it. Just keep in mind, you went with one of the best. Everything will work out 🙂 happy to share my experience anytime.

Hey man, i really appreciate the kind words. Do u have any pics u might he able to pm me with ur progress at around 4.5-5 months? Feel like the only thing that calmes nerves is seeing others who have gotten a good result be in a similar situation

2 hours ago, literalno said:

Honestly so far off from mine like compared to this mine is literally 1% of that growth. Im not even kidding, like 100 hairs at 5 months. How is that recoverable?

do you have a thread with pics?

john - i don’t see any pics in this thread for you 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to update at 6.5 months post-op. This is a photo taken yesterday when I was having my hair cut, with my hair wet sitting under the harsh lights in the salon! I could not be any happier with the outcome. This has been life changing for me.

IMG_0491.jpg