This is why you DO YOUR HOMEWORK before pursuing medical tourism

DO NOT allow a cheap price in a developing country dictate whether or not you will pursue hair restoration there.

Medical standards are not uniform around the world and you must be the one that protects yourself by practicing discernment and proceeding with caution.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2018/11/24/dallas-woman-dead-after-botched-nose-job-mexico

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Administrators

Wow what a sad story, general anesthesia is not something to be taken lightly, it can be fatal. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sad story - and in my opinion did not need any work on that beautiful face.  But we see ourselves rarely as others do and that's what drives us to fret and stress over our physical looks.  We're all guilty of it.  Obviously.  The lesson here is as stated above - research and put money last in the decisions to undergo any type of surgery.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

“Put money last” is good advice and one that, at least on this site, that gets short shrift.   It seems crazy to me to fly half way around the world for a quick meet and greet with a doctor who then slices your scalp open the next day and sends you home a few days later.   Patient has no ability to truly follow up if there are issues. I would be curious what percent of the true  top doctors procedures are repairs from these cheap less regulated operations overseas.  

Medical tourism is a giant industry just because of the ridiculous prices charged in the United States.  In a month and 1/2 I travel to Costa Rica, and I have been researching this doctor for years. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

20 hours ago, Dazed said:

Medical tourism is a giant industry just because of the ridiculous prices charged in the United States.  In a month and 1/2 I travel to Costa Rica, and I have been researching this doctor for years. 

Prices are a symptom of the cost of the national currency, state of the economy, wages, what people are willing to pay, and rent/land costs. To provide quality service in the United States costs significantly more than it would in Turkey or even Spain for example for these reasons. Point is they aren't just trying to rip you off.

I would also extend the importance of research to apply even for those staying in the United States or any Western nation too though, plenty of botch jobs and horrible circumstances amongst poor doctors in those countries too. Other countries can objectively provide equal service for cheaper for economic reasons, one should do plenty of research wherever they're looking at rather than specifically looking at cost.

Wow. That's heartbreaking and not at all what I expected to read. 

I received a text from a friend yesterday who knows someone interested in a HT and was price shopping. I told him to please have his friend call me to go over the importance of research when choosing a surgeon and that price should not be at the top of the list when making a decision.

I was thinking in terms of avoiding a botched hair transplant... What happened here is unimaginable. 😞

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56