2,381 FUE procedure by Dr. John Diep on May 23rd, 2018

FrontalHT12

in my opinion that is terrible planning for your father by Dr. Diep.

- extensive hairloss

- patchy donor

- hairline is wayyyy too aggressive for his age, meaning more grafts needed to look even “decent”

- rebuilding of the temple points should be last on the list for this patient

Edited by hairlossPA

Just now, hairlossPA said:

in my opinion that is terrible planning for your father by Dr. Diep.

- extensive hairloss

- patchy donor

- rebuilding of the temple points should be last on the list for this patient

He ended up not working on the temples like he planned to on the initial outline. He focused everything on the top front 1/3rd of the scalp

Sorry to read about your disappointment on your HT and I can totally understand why you feel like this after looking at the photos; after spending this amount of money with a surgeon really shocked your not getting a part refund or a touch up HT.

If I was in this situation and if a touch up wasn’t offered straight away, I wouldn’t let the same surgeon touch my scalp again.

How can you trust a Surgeon if there not standing by there work straight away without a fight, I hope your surgeon sorts this out for you and best of luck.

• Administrators

@FrontalHT12 

please pm me and I will reach out to Dr. Diep to comment on your case. He’s a good guy and I know he stands by his work. Unfortunately, not every case will be a home run. That said, I agree with your sentiments and feelings of the results.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, FrontalHT12 said:

Here are my father's results. I will be posting the pictures we sent to Dr. Diep's office, my father's pre-op pics, and his post-op pics. He received more than 2600 grafts places in his frontal 1/3rd via FUT.

I was hoping that my father got a result similar to SWdan's since they are similar in age (62y/o) and had almost the same amount grafts done by FUT

One thing I will say I've noticed is that physicians who were surgeons before they became hair transplant docs definitely seem to suture the scalp skin more seamlessly after a FUT. My father still has an indentation along his suture line. I am just comparing this with all the work I've seen from Dr. Lindsey and his FUT suture lines. My father's scalp could be a 1 off for Diep and maybe Lindsey would create the same indentation, I don't know, but I am just stating what I've noticed. Not here to trash any physician but I just want to give honest feedback so other people have an idea of what they may be getting. (My father is a physician and I am a 4th year medical student, if that means anything to anyone.)  

1a.jpg.257f22eabfcf62c4c8514c75f3377c40.jpg

2a.jpg.b9bcad5de76f89d8f86a88e5bcf23465.jpg

3a.jpg.9e3f5a9b2631622b42eaac33e4c34f00.jpg

4a.jpg.695a5509f73f637814464ecae15e69d9.jpg

5a.jpg.12e87c02acbb3bdd8c62e24619f6ee8d.jpg

6a.jpg.955d7b9f74675ec4259a12262b732aa1.jpg

7a.jpg.5ca0c166c9ae517c40d5ef4235d5a6ff.jpg

8a.jpg.536829103ec664f6c24dd4fcdb031478.jpg

9a.jpg.a1161f6d20cc330617ee857a7c395b74.jpg

10a.jpg.ee995381998678ebc39f39aa7c1e4f2f.jpg

16a.jpg.28597eb8b79d9e70a028d3ff1707c68b.jpg

17a.jpg.3b35c3949e7a0ff8ae65026d1b511326.jpg

1467418809_IMGScreenshot_20190129-162358.png.69eceeb4a4aacc73d30b9e686052b7a4.png

This picture looks a lot better because its taken in very low light and he dyed the heck out of his hair and scalp here.

Screenshot_20190129-162605.png.d12771dae93aab5408114bb4348aca87.png

Pictures of his scar about 2 weeks after the surgery. I think there was lot of shock loss around the scar which makes it look worse than it really was. The hair seemed to have grown back now but there are more noticeable indentations to the touch at the beginning and the end of the suture line above both left and right ears. I don't have pictures of the donor area right now but you can't notice anything unusual visually so its safe to say the all the hair grew back. Also from the last time I saw my father, it didn't seem like the scar was wide, so that's a positive, but I'll have to check again when I see him next.

11.jpg.b084ccd974b76de12aaa4b48c9322190.jpg

13.jpg.3def37b0f51d18f9bf7543cb1b16f734.jpg

15a.jpg.f4bae28fdc75482b1092b2331ba14d37.jpg

I don’t know much about the medical field as I am not a doctor but Dr Lindsey is a plastic surgeon with a FACS board certification that trained under dr feller. Dr. Diep is a graduate from some Caribbean medical school that trained under dr rassman at nu hair clinic. Does that give any insight? You tell me

btw r u Indian? U said you were consulting with eugenix correct? I’d be curious to see what they recommend 

Edited by jj51702

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, jj51702 said:

I don’t know much about the medical field as I am not a doctor but Dr Lindsey is a plastic surgeon with a FACS board certification that trained under dr feller. Dr. Diep is a graduate from some Caribbean medical school that trained under dr rassman at nu hair clinic. Does that give any insight? You tell me

btw r u Indian? U said you were consulting with eugenix correct? I’d be curious to see what they recommend 

He was pre-med at UCLA and did his residency at UC Davis I believe. Where you graduate or go to school has no bearing on your surgical skill.

Guys, 

These inflammatory remarks are ridiculous. I’ve been in contact with Dr. Diep, he will be commenting and reaching out to this patient. There are countless examples of his work myself included.

Unfortunately, like I said not every result will be a success and I’ve been around long enough to say every surgeon has had lackluster results. How a surgeon handles these cases is the sign of a great surgeon and I believe Dr. Diep is an excellent surgeon.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

34 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

He was pre-med at UCLA and did his residency at UC Davis I believe. Where you graduate or go to school has no bearing on your surgical skill.

Guys, 

These inflammatory remarks are ridiculous. I’ve been in contact with Dr. Diep, he will be commenting and reaching out to this patient. There are countless examples of his work myself included.

Unfortunately, like I said not every result will be a success and I’ve been around long enough to say every surgeon has had lackluster results. How a surgeon handles these cases is the sign of a great surgeon and I believe Dr. Diep is an excellent surgeon.

I was more curious what OP thought of those facts being that he’s a med student himself and his father a doctor 

29 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys, 

To be fair, where you do your pre-med studies holds far less weight than where you attend medical school.

Ultimately, what you trained in for residency and at which institution are the most relevant factors of all in regards to medical education. John Diep did his training in Family Practice   (not a competitive specialty + he did not train in surgery) at a marginal program 

It therefore stands to reason that his surgical wound closures are likely not of the same caliber as a board-certified plastic surgeon (if that is indeed what Dr Lindsey is). 

I am a physician, just offering my insider perspective. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Where you graduate or go to school has no bearing on your surgical skill.

i respectfully disagree with this. now i’m not saying Dr. Diep doesn’t put out great work or isn’t a good med student/doctor. i’ve seen a ton of his good and not so good work.

but your statement is like saying a lawyer from a lesser known/ranked law school can stack up and go head to head with a lawyer from harvard just because the graduates. schools and grades do matter to a degree.

would you rather trust a top doctor who went to school at johns hopkins or a community college?

4 hours ago, FrontalHT12 said:

I am following quiet a few Erdogan patients that had surgery in 2018 and 2019 to see how their results turn out. Like you said, I've seen a good amount of poor results by his clinic recently and am a bit skeptical. I don't want to waist donor grafts as I'm sure all of us on this forum feel the same way.

I've seen a lot of recent posts by Hair of Istanbul on IG and youtube. Any idea about them?

Never heard of them, sorry.

Now that you mentioned you will soon be a medical doctor, I'd say another option would be to save up money working two-three years and then go to the best in North America: H&W. But then again, a 5k session at their place might be too hefty even with a doctor's salary. And then the waiting... well, just wanted to throw the option in there.

30 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys, 

That is great and another testament of the power of this forum. Will be interesting to see how the Dr stands by his work.

2 minutes ago, yesplease said:

To be fair, where you do your pre-med studies holds far less weight than where you attend medical school.

Ultimately, what you trained in for residency and at which institution are the most relevant factors of all in regards to medical education. John Diep did his training in Family Practice   (not a competitive specialty + he did not train in surgery) at a marginal program 

It therefore stands to reason that his surgical wound closures are likely not of the same caliber as a board-certified plastic surgeon (if that is indeed what Dr Lindsey is). 

I am a physician, just offering my insider perspective. 

See, this is the input I was looking for. Thank you for the insight Dr. yesplease

• Administrators

Guys,

We need to keep this thread on topic. There is no relevance between surgical skill and schooling. In fact, this conversation has de-railed the patients concerns. Let’s keep this on track and focus on what matters which is the patients results. 

View my thread

Hello everyone, thanks for the feedback and discussion but my goal wasn't to have a negative conversation about Dr. Diep as a Hair Transplant physician. Clearly he is a good doctor who is consistently producing good results otherwise he wouldn't be recommended on this forum nor would I have gone to him. As I stated previously, I would recommend him even after the results. Unfortunately we are a part of the percentage of people who sometimes don't get the result they expected but that doesn't change the fact that I was/am secure with the decision of going to Dr. Diep.

With that being said, I still stand by my previous opinions about both of the procedures. I will pm Melvin and talk to him about the situation and we will go from there.

• Thanks 1

Saw your photos.  Hope you and your father get some sound repair.  A physician should stand by his or her work.  Those agreements are things that are being reviewed heavily by certain agencies as they do not really protect the patient.  Federal medical laws always supersede any agreement.

The surgery is not easy as is and you pay a lot, money, time, family, etc is impacted.  You really want it to go well or at least to a point that no one stares at your scalp.  I really hope you get a positive outcome and can move forward. Best wishes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How was the quality of your donor hair prior to the procedure? @FrontalHT12. Looking at your father's donor hair it seems that genetically speaking you may be prone to having hair loss in the donor region. Is it possible that the donor hair taken and planted to your recipient area could have been non DHT resistant and therefore yielded non ideal results? Just curious on your thoughts about this because generally speaking the quality of how your recipient area turns out is typically a direct correlation on the quality of your donor hair.