2,381 FUE procedure by Dr. John Diep on May 23rd, 2018

FrontalHT12

Whats up everyone, here is my 8th month update. I really don't feel like much has happened since last month, other than the hairs getting longer.  As usual, tell me what you guys think.

28.jpg.69f1562f531a3b44f6b40347c75323e7.jpg

29.jpg.b3e0cbc0acfc7cf2062bd7343c95eb5e.jpg

30.jpg.28f4ea95f49175b2fc1c699ffd2efc7f.jpg

Procedure is framing your face and obviously you still have some time to go till the 12 month mark but personally, I'd be probably be expecting more at 8 months to be honest.

Looks like you have diffused hair loss from your pictures and there may possibly be some shock loss there after transplanting hair in between the weak native hair, especially as I believe you are not taking finasteride. Also wonder whether 2381 grafts is quite enough as it's a fairly large area that has been worked on which includes pretty much rebuilding the hairline and filling in a fair bit behind it to. Probably enough to provide coverage but short when it comes to density front.

It is 8 months however and best to see how things play out after a full 12 months. Hope things turn out well for you.

42 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Procedure is framing your face and obviously you still have some time to go till the 12 month mark but personally, I'd be probably be expecting more at 8 months to be honest.

Looks like you have diffused hair loss from your pictures and there may possibly be some shock loss there after transplanting hair in between the weak native hair, especially as I believe you are not taking finasteride. Also wonder whether 2381 grafts is quite enough as it's a fairly large area that has been worked on which includes pretty much rebuilding the hairline and filling in a fair bit behind it to. Probably enough to provide coverage but short when it comes to density front.

It is 8 months however and best to see how things play out after a full 12 months. Hope things turn out well for you.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Everything you said is what I am pretty much thinking. I am also following a lot of Dr. Erdogan's patients and more than likely contact them for a 2nd large transplant. But I'll wait at least until the 12 month mark before I do anything.

2 hours ago, Lyubo93 said:

I think the shape of the hairline is very good, but maybe you need a little bit more grafts for density. Do you take some med? 

I'm thinking the same thing.

No I don't take any hair meds. Finasteride combined with the med I take now dialy may cause some side effects and I don't want to risk it. 

55 minutes ago, Curious said:

I'd like to see pictures of your donor taken the day of the surgery or the day after.  It looks better, but the number of grafts transplanted was too small was for such a large area.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the donor area during that time. I didn't think about it taking pics of that area then. 

You should take Finasteride for  few months and rub a little minoxidil behind the hairline to maximize your result.  You should not make any decisions about your result until you are at least 14-16 months in.

• Administrators

I don’t think it looks pluggy at all, but it is lacking in density, but at 8 months there’s stilm time. However, you will need a second surgery regardless, because you had extensive hair loss. Hope you grow well in the coming months.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I know you went in for 2500 grafts, but did not get that number extracted, did you get refunded for the remainder of the grafts?

I am wondering why 2500 were not able to be extracted from your scalp which means  there could have been an issue with pulling extracted grafts out as Dr Diep has extracted higher then those numbers on others.  Pulling and tugging on grafts can kill grafts.  Who did your extractions?  At the end, at 8 months, the front is not there yet.  It should be or get more robust in the next month or so.  

Were you told you would need a second surgery and what were the goals discussed?  

I am rooting for you and hope you get decent growth.  Best of luck.

Hi, after looking at your progress posts I’d say your results are disappointing for 8months, especially from a top doc like Diep. The density is just not adequate but given that it was a large area to cover with the amount of grafts you received, you probably need another 1k grafts in your frontal zone to better the density.

With that said, you still have several more months for it to improve.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:50 PM, BjornBorg said:

It hurts to say but I think you're looking for honesty. Judging from the first pic on this page, your hairline looks pluggy. Which is not something you expect from today's standard.

But maybe that is not the case, if we can see pictures from another angle or more zoomed in.

Okay I will take some pictures soon. I have Toppik in at the current moment.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:03 PM, Curious said:

You should take Finasteride for  few months and rub a little minoxidil behind the hairline to maximize your result.  You should not make any decisions about your result until you are at least 14-16 months in.

I would love to but I can't risk it with the med I am on now. If I stop taking this med then I may possibly get on Fin but I honestly doubt that. I used Minoxidil for 4 years in the past but didn't really see much of a benefit. It may stopped a lot of quick loss in the crown but I still had hair falling out so I stopped in 2015.

Yes, I will probably not do anything for at least 4 more months. Then I will start ramping up my research to see which Dr I should go with. Maybe Diep again or Erdogan, Bisanaga, Rahal, Feriduni. I have been seeing a lot of great results from Dr. Coto in Spain on youtube. Do any of you know or have more information on him?

On 1/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t think it looks pluggy at all, but it is lacking in density, but at 8 months there’s stilm time. However, you will need a second surgery regardless, because you had extensive hair loss. Hope you grow well in the coming months.

Thanks Melvin. I forgot to mention this to you in the past but I have been following you on youtube for a while now and your videos helped me make the decision to go with Dr. Diep. You had a amazing result.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:24 PM, Sean said:

I know you went in for 2500 grafts, but did not get that number extracted, did you get refunded for the remainder of the grafts?

I am wondering why 2500 were not able to be extracted from your scalp which means  there could have been an issue with pulling extracted grafts out as Dr Diep has extracted higher then those numbers on others.  Pulling and tugging on grafts can kill grafts.  Who did your extractions?  At the end, at 8 months, the front is not there yet.  It should be or get more robust in the next month or so.  

Were you told you would need a second surgery and what were the goals discussed?  

I am rooting for you and hope you get decent growth.  Best of luck.

No i didn't get refunded, there was actually more to it but I don't want to share money publicly. If you want more information, I will be happy to answer if you pm me.

To be honest with you, I am not sure who did the extractions. I was pretty knocked out with the pill he game me. I do remember waking up for lunch and then waking up intermittently after lunch to 2 techs placing the grafts into my scalp. I do know that Dr. Diep did make the incisions because I was informed that he would be doing that.

I knew I would need a 2nd and even a 3rd surgery for the mid scalp and crown. I was told that from this surgery that the front should be taken care of and should give the illusion of density when grown out longer. I don't think I will get much more density but I am happy that my face is framed and that there is hair in that area. I was bare before.

Thanks for the well wishes, lets hope it gets a bit better.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:42 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Hi, after looking at your progress posts I’d say your results are disappointing for 8months, especially from a top doc like Diep. The density is just not adequate but given that it was a large area to cover with the amount of grafts you received, you probably need another 1k grafts in your frontal zone to better the density.

With that said, you still have several more months for it to improve.

Thanks for the honest response. I agree with everything you said. Lets hope its gets a bit better.

Here are some pictures with Toppik. Thank goodness for this invention because I can walk outside without too much insecurity. I am sure most of you can tell that there is something in there but the average person can't tell.

31.jpg.5e0d71204f329c80de9bfee9980d34ed.jpg32.jpg.1b6be29ca79f09cc1507d5723eeb8069.jpg33.jpg.5e0648a658d1a0b35301fb9a4fe24a3f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hairlossPA said:

wait wtf...?! bro are you trolling us? your hair looks amazing. how much toppik is in...?

Haha no trolling. There is a good amount in but I've gotten good at using it. My actual hair without toppik looks like the pics above that I posted at 8 months which was a few days ago.

9 hours ago, BjornBorg said:

You surely have mastered the art of applying that stuff. Does it look natural in person? Anyone looking at you dodgy?

It looks good in person. The only time it make look off is if I put too much in the hair line and it looks too dark or clumpy. I will then just brush that part out with hair brush and lightly apply again where you can see the hair strands. Looks more natural that way.

I'll say this, after getting the transplant done, my toppik time has gone down dramatically. I can do this in about 5 minutes. Before it would take 15 minutes minimum because I would have to brush the hair forward and all sorts of stuff. I could definitely notice people looking at my hair when they were talking to me and that made me super self conscious.

Hopefully I can get another procedure done (preferably a large one) and get more thickness all around and call it a day.

6 hours ago, Lyubo93 said:

Wtf...it looks amazing. Can you take closer pics?

Are you talking about the pictures with toppik. Yea it looks like a full head of hair. But you can see my actual result on the pictures I posted before the toppik pics.

9 hours ago, FrontalHT12 said:

Are you talking about the pictures with toppik. Yea it looks like a full head of hair. But you can see my actual result on the pictures I posted before the toppik pics.

Yes, I mean with toppik. I can't imagine how it looks closer. Does the hair looks dusty or it's smooth?