2,381 FUE procedure by Dr. John Diep on May 23rd, 2018

FrontalHT12

I think you can go back to Diep for a 2nd hair transplant.  All you need is a little density to make it fuller.  Sometimes the 2nd one does the trick.  I wouldn’t say your results are bad - there is tremendous improvement.  It’s hard in 1 transplant to get the perfect outcome.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:05 AM, Lyubo93 said:

Yes, I mean with toppik. I can't imagine how it looks closer. Does the hair looks dusty or it's smooth?

it looks pretty smooth. I run my hand through it and tap it down a bit before I set it with the hair spray.

20 hours ago, Raker said:

I would seriously consider Rahal for your next surgery, producing some fantastic results. Good luck on your journey. 

He is definitely someone of my list for my future HT. Thanks for the well wishes.

15 hours ago, mrmoskowitz said:

I think you can go back to Diep for a 2nd hair transplant.  All you need is a little density to make it fuller.  Sometimes the 2nd one does the trick.  I wouldn’t say your results are bad - there is tremendous improvement.  It’s hard in 1 transplant to get the perfect outcome.

I agree, a nice improvement from where I started. After the 12 months are up, I will contact him and see what he says and decide if I will go to him again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 12:33 PM, VicTNYC said:

Any update since you are now past your 9th month post-op?

thanks

Ill post the 10 month update in 10 days, but honestly, no new growth other than the hair getting loner.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, the hairline design was overly aggressive and should have been much more conservative for your level of hair loss. I think the amount of grafts extracted would have been better utilized and packed denser in a smaller frontal zone with some natural, age appropriate recession. Best of luck on a 2nd procedure.

12 hours ago, shookwon33 said:

any update? @FrontalHT12

I will post a 1 year update in a few days, thanks for following/paying attention and asking about it.

4 hours ago, home1212 said:

In my opinion, the hairline design was overly aggressive and should have been much more conservative for your level of hair loss. I think the amount of grafts extracted would have been better utilized and packed denser in a smaller frontal zone with some natural, age appropriate recession. Best of luck on a 2nd procedure.

I appreciate your opinion but I respectfully disagree. I love the hairline because I am only 34 and I don't want a 60 year old's hair line. I do understand what you are saying about using the grafts in small areas in order to be densely packed but if I don't have enough grafts, I am perfectly fine with having a thinner look and adding Toppik to the hair to make it look fuller. Thanks, I am thinking I will need to have at least 2 more procedures to cover the whole head and maybe a 4th, if I have enough donor supply.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:19 PM, FrontalHT12 said:

I will post a 1 year update in a few days, thanks for following/paying attention and asking about it.

I appreciate your opinion but I respectfully disagree. I love the hairline because I am only 34 and I don't want a 60 year old's hair line. I do understand what you are saying about using the grafts in small areas in order to be densely packed but if I don't have enough grafts, I am perfectly fine with having a thinner look and adding Toppik to the hair to make it look fuller. Thanks, I am thinking I will need to have at least 2 more procedures to cover the whole head and maybe a 4th, if I have enough donor supply.

that's all that matters is your opinion and happiness - a conservative hairline is subjective and not necessarily one from a 60 yo, but one that suits you both now and into the future - best of luck

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, it's been exactly 15 months since my hair transplant with Dr. Diep. I think I have done all the growing that can happen. My thoughts on the HT is that it was a success in that I have a frame but it definitely isn't a home run nor is it one he would post on his youtube page. There is definitely a lack of density for the amount of grafts that were placed. I am pretty sure all the remaining hairs that were there in those areas before the transplant fell out but I also think that not all the grafts that were transplanted survived and grew. I would say maybe 70% grew especially in the hairline. I went for his medium tight hairline and its pretty clear in the pictures that they all didn't take. Also I would like to add that I have been losing a lot of hair the last few months. It feels like during every hair wash I am losing hundreds and hundreds of hairs. Very disheartening to see but I knew that would happen since I am not taking any medications. I am okay with that because I am taking other meds that might interfere with them so it is what it is at this point.

I had a 12 and half month follow up with him and he said that another 1500 grafts to the area that he already did will give me the density I am looking for. He said he could probably do 2000 grafts and work backwards towards the mid scalp.

I would definitely recommend Dr. Diep because he was pretty honest and at least gave me a hairline where I can add toppik to it and it will stay.

With that being said, I am thinking about going to Eugenix in India to get a 5000 plus session done so I don't have to keep going through multiple highly priced transplants in the States. My plan is to harvest whatever I have left in the donor area and then go with beard grafts. After all that is done, I will probably do scalp micropigmentation for the entire head. This way I can cover up the FUE dots (in case I have the donor depleted look) and also add the look of density to the top the head.

If you guys have any other questions or comments please feel free to post. Thanks for following my journey from my first post 9 months ago.

1857854790_34-1year.jpg.43bd86b4e6e3db8478f279e5d3a305bc.jpg

1123736973_35-1year.jpg.dfdf908f15f2d9cda521dddebac1746c.jpg84521360_36-1year.jpg.3b610154b6b45a7d077aa04a685dfbc1.jpg1582950409_37-1year.jpg.01a425f7d1ce4bf2823aaaa85e1de12e.jpg1555123208_38-1year.jpg.9d40000690be8ad86ceba73615bf1820.jpg1491698606_39-1year.jpg.66db0b1e9d5d703a686e998b36a603df.jpg469831010_41-1year.jpg.3bbfeb4c901f053b1ccf204181fb7f5b.jpg

Side by Side comparison of the hairline

2047172574_42-Compare.thumb.jpg.49c65a20b082f6c644c4b8ae46a1908f.jpg

1259298473_43-Compare.thumb.jpg.6264fcf33ce003f7d9094aa0ee3902c1.jpg

• Administrators

I agree with your assessment. The frame to your face is definite. That said, I would expect a lot more density. I have seen how your hair looks with Toppik and it looks amazing. Eugenix seems to be hitting it out of the park, so definitely worth looking into.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If ever there was a time for a refund - this is it. You must have caught the doctor on the worst day of his career.

Having said that, your donor looks pretty massive and your hair is thick. And you are keeping your spirits high. I honestly think you are still in a position where you'll end up with a good head of hair.

21 hours ago, det9925 said:

its not terrible but Diep usually delivers much better results than this

I agree, I guess I am one of his "bad" ones

19 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree with your assessment. The frame to your face is definite. That said, I would expect a lot more density. I have seen how your hair looks with Toppik and it looks amazing. Eugenix seems to be hitting it out of the park, so definitely worth looking into.

Yea, its unfortunate I didn't get much density. I wish I was able to get what you got with your 2 transplants done by him, but what can you do now...

12 minutes ago, BjornBorg said:

If ever there was a time for a refund - this is it. You must have caught the doctor on the worst day of his career.

Having said that, your donor looks pretty massive and your hair is thick. And you are keeping your spirits high. I honestly think you are still in a position where you'll end up with a good head of hair.

Thanks for the positive outlook, I'm definitely trying. On a side note, my father got 1 done by him the next day and his came out even worse than mine. I was very very disappointed in his results. I wish he would do refunds but the contracts we sign don't allow it based on the verbiage that was used. I guess the both us were some of the unlucky ones, more so my father though.

Edited by FrontalHT12

Sucks to hear about your old man. Can't speak to his outlook without pics but yours is still promising as I said.

I too have been impressed by Eugenix. There's also Erdogan who had some famous problems with low density hairlines as of the last year or two but for large sessions he still brings it.

Anyway, you have a foundation now, let's find the right surgeon to fill it in. I would do irl or at least Skype consultations if possible and see who gives you the best impression. Your next step is crucial.

This the main reason I didn’t go with diep .. even though I already deposited the $1000 .. I rather risk losing the deposit than to have subpar results where he won’t fix it .. it’s always the customers fault if ur transplant don’t turn out well . Was the feeling I got when I was speaking the office manager ... hair transplants aren’t guaranteed . But if u don’t have good results , at least attempt to fix it .. who wants to spend $15,000- $20,000 n not get what they paid for.. I mean if ur results were B- quality . It’s still acceptable ,. But this is C- quality, how can u not attempt to fix things ..  they can’t ! Because they booked too far in advance , to fix the mistake they did on u will cost double the money .. the free repair + the $20,000 they would be losing to another potential patient that could be having surgery that day .. it’s just buisiness to the clinic , n another number .. but to us, it’s our savings n A permanent result that lasts forever ..  Good or bad .. clinics need to understand that .. 

Edited by Legend007
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, FrontalHT12 said:

I agree, I guess I am one of his "bad" ones

Yea, its unfortunate I didn't get much density. I wish I was able to get what you got with your 2 transplants done by him, but what can you do now...

Thanks for the positive outlook, I'm definitely trying. On a side note, my father got 1 done by him the next day and his came out even worse than mine. I was very very disappointed in his results. I wish he would do refunds but the contracts we sign don't allow it based on the verbiage that was used. I guess the both us were some of the unlucky ones, more so my father though.

Sorry about your results, disappointing given Dieps top tier status and the amount he charges, and even more disappointing that your fathers results from him turned out worse than yours as you say. Diep should offer you a courtesy partial refund or a complimentary touch-up for you and your father on the same day, it would be the right thing to do.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BjornBorg said:

Sucks to hear about your old man. Can't speak to his outlook without pics but yours is still promising as I said.

I too have been impressed by Eugenix. There's also Erdogan who had some famous problems with low density hairlines as of the last year or two but for large sessions he still brings it.

Anyway, you have a foundation now, let's find the right surgeon to fill it in. I would do irl or at least Skype consultations if possible and see who gives you the best impression. Your next step is crucial.

I will be posting some pics of my father on this thread to show you guys what I am talking about.

I am following quiet a few Erdogan patients that had surgery in 2018 and 2019 to see how their results turn out. Like you said, I've seen a good amount of poor results by his clinic recently and am a bit skeptical. I don't want to waist donor grafts as I'm sure all of us on this forum feel the same way.

I've seen a lot of recent posts by Hair of Istanbul on IG and youtube. Any idea about them?

14 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

how much toppick is in your hair on page 2?

A good amount, maybe a quarter of the small bottle. But I buy fibers off of ebay in bulk to save on the cost.

12 hours ago, Legend007 said:

This the main reason I didn’t go with diep .. even though I already deposited the $1000 .. I rather risk losing the deposit than to have subpar results where he won’t fix it .. it’s always the customers fault if ur transplant don’t turn out well . Was the feeling I got when I was speaking the office manager ... hair transplants aren’t guaranteed . But if u don’t have good results , at least attempt to fix it .. who wants to spend $15,000- $20,000 n not get what they paid for.. I mean if ur results were B- quality . It’s still acceptable ,. But this is C- quality, how can u not attempt to fix things ..  they can’t ! Because they booked too far in advance , to fix the mistake they did on u will cost double the money .. the free repair + the $20,000 they would be losing to another potential patient that could be having surgery that day .. it’s just buisiness to the clinic , n another number .. but to us, it’s our savings n A permanent result that lasts forever ..  Good or bad .. clinics need to understand that .. 

Couldn't have said it better. I have the same feelings as you when it comes to how he runs the business.

10 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Sorry about your results, disappointing given Dieps top tier status and the amount he charges, and even more disappointing that your fathers results from him turned out worse than yours as you say. Diep should offer you a courtesy partial refund or a complimentary touch-up for you and your father on the same day, it would be the right thing to do.

I will try and see what I can do about a refund. I think I will enlist Melvin's help because he seems to have a good relationship with Dr. Diep.

10 hours ago, Kevin20 said:

Tbh, any cheap surgeon in turkey or in india could give this result or even better. I would certainly press for refund , especially when your dad too gotten a poor result. 

Yes I agree and for a quarter of the price. That's my main issue, the price is so expensive and to get this result is a bit disheartening, but I am in this journey for the long haul. I knew what I was getting into when I started, thanks to this forum and other forums like this.

Here are my father's results. I will be posting the pictures we sent to Dr. Diep's office, my father's pre-op pics, and his post-op pics. He received more than 2600 grafts places in his frontal 1/3rd via FUT.

I was hoping that my father got a result similar to SWdan's since they are similar in age (62y/o) and had almost the same amount grafts done by FUT

One thing I will say I've noticed is that physicians who were surgeons before they became hair transplant docs definitely seem to suture the scalp skin more seamlessly after a FUT. My father still has an indentation along his suture line. I am just comparing this with all the work I've seen from Dr. Lindsey and his FUT suture lines. My father's scalp could be a 1 off for Diep and maybe Lindsey would create the same indentation, I don't know, but I am just stating what I've noticed. Not here to trash any physician but I just want to give honest feedback so other people have an idea of what they may be getting. (My father is a physician and I am a 4th year medical student, if that means anything to anyone.)  

1a.jpg.257f22eabfcf62c4c8514c75f3377c40.jpg

2a.jpg.b9bcad5de76f89d8f86a88e5bcf23465.jpg

3a.jpg.9e3f5a9b2631622b42eaac33e4c34f00.jpg

4a.jpg.695a5509f73f637814464ecae15e69d9.jpg

5a.jpg.12e87c02acbb3bdd8c62e24619f6ee8d.jpg

6a.jpg.955d7b9f74675ec4259a12262b732aa1.jpg

7a.jpg.5ca0c166c9ae517c40d5ef4235d5a6ff.jpg

8a.jpg.536829103ec664f6c24dd4fcdb031478.jpg

9a.jpg.a1161f6d20cc330617ee857a7c395b74.jpg

10a.jpg.ee995381998678ebc39f39aa7c1e4f2f.jpg

16a.jpg.28597eb8b79d9e70a028d3ff1707c68b.jpg

17a.jpg.3b35c3949e7a0ff8ae65026d1b511326.jpg

1467418809_IMGScreenshot_20190129-162358.png.69eceeb4a4aacc73d30b9e686052b7a4.png

This picture looks a lot better because its taken in very low light and he dyed the heck out of his hair and scalp here.

Screenshot_20190129-162605.png.d12771dae93aab5408114bb4348aca87.png

Pictures of his scar about 2 weeks after the surgery. I think there was lot of shock loss around the scar which makes it look worse than it really was. The hair seemed to have grown back now but there are more noticeable indentations to the touch at the beginning and the end of the suture line above both left and right ears. I don't have pictures of the donor area right now but you can't notice anything unusual visually so its safe to say the all the hair grew back. Also from the last time I saw my father, it didn't seem like the scar was wide, so that's a positive, but I'll have to check again when I see him next.

11.jpg.b084ccd974b76de12aaa4b48c9322190.jpg

13.jpg.3def37b0f51d18f9bf7543cb1b16f734.jpg

15a.jpg.f4bae28fdc75482b1092b2331ba14d37.jpg

Edited by FrontalHT12

Not entirely surprised by the result taking into the account the number of grafts, the area transplanted into and the hairline design. You had extensive baldness going into the procedure and  think 2381 grafts was never going to be enough to give you a good result. Probably needed somewhere nearer the 3500 graft mark

Don't think it's a complete disaster though, more a case of just not enough grafts being placed and density suffering as a result. Don't think it will take too much to get you where you want to be and your donor looks pretty good.

In terms of the cost, believe Dr Diep is around $8 per graft for FUE. That is H&W and Dr Konior territory and with H&W now seemingly having more cases with them tackling more extensive balding with FUE, I know where I'd be headed if I had a budget of $8 per graft.

4 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Not entirely surprised by the result taking into the account the number of grafts, the area transplanted into and the hairline design. You had extensive baldness going into the procedure and  think 2381 grafts was never going to be enough to give you a good result. Probably needed somewhere nearer the 3500 graft mark

Don't think it's a complete disaster though, more a case of just not enough grafts being placed and density suffering as a result. Don't think it will take too much to get you where you want to be and your donor looks pretty good.

In terms of the cost, believe Dr Diep is around $8 per graft for FUE. That is H&W and Dr Konior territory and with H&W now seemingly having more cases with them tackling more extensive balding with FUE, I know where I'd be headed if I had a budget of $8 per graft.

Thanks for your input. Here is to hoping my next procedure gets me good coverage, at least at the front.