Could you all recommend a doctor near Columbus, OH that's got proven results?

Hey everyone. Long-time member here. I think my first post was over a decade ago. I've still held off from getting an HT. Although I'm not sure if I can hold off much longer. I'll turn 40 next year and I think it may finally be time.

That said, could you all recommend a surgeon that's "somewhat" near Columbus, OH? I want someone that other forum members have used a lot and they have a proven track record. I don't want a surgeon that only has before/after photos on their website, as we all know those can easily be made to look better than reality.

I'm willing to drive a distance (or fly in extreme cases I suppose) for a doctor that is 100% proven and isn't going to make me look like Dr Frankenstein.

Is there a "no-brainer" surgeon that is essentially guaranteed to deliver. Cost is not an issue for me.

Thanks for your help! You guys are amazing.

If Dr. Konior is relatively near to you, I'd say it's a no-brainier from the results I've seen. Your only problem might be waiting time as I believe he's often booked up for up to a year.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• Administrators

Never base your decision off location, go by results. You’ve been given some good names, but I would use this forum as a resource and look for the patient results you like the best.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin, absolutely... But if you have Doctor A who is equal to Doctor B but lives 12 hours closer, I'll choose Doctor A in a heart beat. That's what I'm trying to get right now as a good starting point.

Do you guys know if Dr. Konior does FUE just as well as FUT? I'm leaning more towards FUE, primarily because I don't want that giant strip and I want far less recovery time. I know I know... from what I've heard, FUT gets you better results (long-term), but I didn't know with the improved technology nowadays if FUE compares well and if Dr. Konior does that really well?

How many grafts do you need?  Dr K is unlikely to do more than the low 2000s in a single day but maybe 3000 over 2 days.  You're looking at top dollar for that, perhaps over $20,000 and over a year's wait.  Worth paying for the peace of mind.

His proteges Nadimi and Gabel have a similar attention to detail and worth considering.  Cooley and any of the 3 doctors at Shapiro Medical Group also worth a look.

And yes, he does do FUE equally well.  I saw the grafts he took.  I'm about a week past 3 months and already the FUE is growing and looks like I have concealer in my hair.

1 hour ago, notsosure said:

Do you guys know if Dr. Konior does FUE just as well as FUT? I'm leaning more towards FUE, primarily because I don't want that giant strip and I want far less recovery time. I know I know... from what I've heard, FUT gets you better results (long-term), but I didn't know with the improved technology nowadays if FUE compares well and if Dr. Konior does that really well?

• Like 2

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

1978Matt. Got it. That's all super helpful to know. $20k is doable. I'd pay more if that could get me in sooner than a year out. Wonder if he'd take that into consideration? As for the number of grafts, I honestly have no idea. I still have have, but receding in temples quite a lot and starting in the middle as well. And overall thinning compared to the "good old days". Did you go in for a consultation prior to scheduling with Dr. Konior or you just showed up on the day before surgery and away you went?

I just read through most of your HT results thread and it sounded very encouraging. The strip definitely scares me though. I think I'd much rather have a bunch of tiny scars on the back of my head than a big strip cut out. Seeing that you just had a FUE done, would you say that the recovery is similar or MUCH easier/faster?

Really appreciate you taking the time here, Matt.

I did see him back in early 2013 prior to booking.  In those days his wait time was only 4 months.  With good quality photos or skype you probably dont need to see him in person.

It is night and day easier but I don't regret FUT at all.  I wouldn't still have 3000+ grafts in the bank had I not done it.  If you're never going to need more than 4-5000 grafts you're probably ok with FUE but only with certain doctors I already mentioned.

FUT will take about 6 months to recover. FUE a month at most.

3 minutes ago, notsosure said:

1978Matt. Got it. That's all super helpful to know. $20k is doable. I'd pay more if that could get me in sooner than a year out. Wonder if he'd take that into consideration? As for the number of grafts, I honestly have no idea. I still have have, but receding in temples quite a lot and starting in the middle as well. And overall thinning compared to the "good old days". Did you go in for a consultation prior to scheduling with Dr. Konior or you just showed up on the day before surgery and away you went?

I just read through most of your HT results thread and it sounded very encouraging. The strip definitely scares me though. I think I'd much rather have a bunch of tiny scars on the back of my head than a big strip cut out. Seeing that you just had a FUE done, would you say that the recovery is similar or MUCH easier/faster?

Really appreciate you taking the time here, Matt.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay notsosure and yes, I have had 2 transplants. I had a small one when I was younger several years ago and just got another 2000 FUT from Dr. Konior about a year and a half ago. I needed to add density/temple points and fix a weak hairline. I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger the 2nd time and I was most impressed and very comfortable with Dr. Konior after going in for a consultation with him and having him exam my case. I have also seen & heard good things on his partner Dr. Nadimi, Dr. Gabel in Oregon, and Dr. Cooley in NC. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Triple7. I can't lie. A 1 month recovery time for FUE sounds a heck of a lot better than 6 months with FUT. Based on your experience, do you think if I booked a consult with Dr. Konier, he would be able to let me know if a FUE would get me through until I'm old and gray or if it would put me in a bad position when I'm an old man (i.e. needing another HT and not having enough donor hair left to do a decent job)? Obviously the ideal scenario would be 1 FUE... in and out. 1 month recovery. Done... but something's telling me those expectations aren't realistic. Thanks.

1978Matt, any thoughts on the above since you've also gone with Konier? Thanks.

It’s hard to judge without pictures but if you are serious about getting it done, I would go talk to Dr. Konior and have him assess you. He will tell you his professional opinion which I would trust. Also, my FUT did not take that long to recover. I was back at work without a hat a couple months after the surgery without any questions from anyone. You just have to leave your hair a little longer in the back to cover...maybe 1.5” or so to be safe.

2 hours ago, notsosure said:

Got it. Thanks everyone. Last question. Is this Dr Konior's practice? I want to make sure I'm calling the right place. Thanks 🙂

https://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/

Yeah that is it.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, notsosure said:

Got it. Thanks everyone. Last question. Is this Dr Konior's practice? I want to make sure I'm calling the right place. Thanks 🙂

https://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes and consider posting some photos to pay it forward and help the forum.