crown area

Hey guys,

was wondering what is your opinion about how much grafts to use for the crown area.

i mean, do you use as much as possible or do you think it's better just enough to cover it so the scalp won't be exposed.

i'm about 9 months post op at the front of the scalp and if i do another HT i don't know if should i use as much grafts as possible on the crown (which need lots of grafts)

or to split it between the crown and the front (add density and maybe lower hairline?)

Edited by wheretogo

Your crown is a very large surface area and would potentially take as much as 70% of the available scalp donor.  In addition, you need a lot of work in the frontal third so if it were me, I would concentrate on the frontal third and deal with the crown at a later date once I was satisfied with the front.

You can also use a combination of SMP for your crown. 

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Oh sorry my friend...I was thinking you looked like the first 3 pics in your post.

Your result is outstanding!

Because of your nice curl, you can probably get by with say, 30 FU per cm2 in your crown if you also have SMP....that's your call of course.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I see....well did your surgeon inform you have many more harvestable grafts you have left?

I assume you are satisfied with your restored frontal area?

Gillenator

I was told it won't be a problem to use around 3000-3500.

yes, i am very much, it's weird to see a hairline again lol

i'm not taking any meds or minoxi, only MSM and biotin and i have noticed that i'm what you call "slow grower" so it's only 9 months so i expect more until 12 months.

i would probably want to add grafts at the front, but i was looking at other results and i am toying with the idea to lower the hairline but i don't know if it's a good idea because i don't know if the crown will continue to get expose or what with the mid scalp area.

did you do strip or FUE for your first HT?

You have an established hairline now. (personally) I would opt to have another session to beef up the middle and add grafts to the crown, just enough to cover it. doesn’t have to be super dense in the crown. just enough to lower the contrast 

Hey hairlossPA,

i did FUE, 3558 grafts with Dr Maras, HDC clinic about 9 months ago.

that's the dilemma, i was told the middle and the crown is a big area and will need about 2500-3000 grafts, but is it really neccery to put a lot of grafts in the crown?

should i try to lower the hairline? but if i do that there will be still issue of the density in the front, no?

personally, i think when people go to lower the hairline after their first procedure, it’s just greedy IMO. unless your hair loss is NW2-3 and you have good characteristics to lower the hairline, I would not. I would dedicate those precious follicles to other parts of the scalp that need it. Because if you can have a hairline that frames the face, and NOT have a big shiny bald spot on the back of your head... I see that as the best case rather than a low hairline with nothing behind it 

Edited by hairlossPA

i know, never thought about lowering the hairline before, even at the clinic i told Dr Maras that he is the doctor and he decide about the hairline, i wanted natural, age appropriate age hairline.

just the past few days i saw guys, even in my condition, restoring their hairline and then doing another HT and lowering it, but maybe they didn't have problem with their crown and yes, you totally right, it's a hair greed lol.

i think i will just reinforce the hairline, make it more dense and pf course the mid scalp and crown.

do you think like  more 1000 grafts for the front and 2000-2500 for the mid and crown will be enough for good coverage?

Edited by wheretogo

15 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

personally, i think when people go to lower the hairline after their first procedure, it’s just greedy IMO. unless your hair loss is NW2-3 and you have good characteristics to lower the hairline, I would not. I would dedicate those precious follicles to other parts of the scalp that need it. Because if you can have a hairline that frames the face, and NOT have a big shiny bald spot on the back of your head... I see that as the best case rather than a low hairline with nothing behind it 

Agree with this. Wouldn't be looking to lower the hairline as it currently frames your face and as you are not on meds, I'd stay conservative. Not sure I'd reinforce it either judging by the pictures as it looks ok? 

Would be focusing on the crown now. 2000 odd should give you decent coverage back there although it maybe lacking on the density front but personally that wouldn't bother me too much as you'd overall be in a better place compared to when you started. Leaving you another 1500 or so in the bank if you want to tweak areas in the future.

• Administrators

Depends on the density you want achieved. Light coverage with scalp still visible around 1,500 grafts. Comparable density to the front around 3,000. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Agree with this. Wouldn't be looking to lower the hairline as it currently frames your face and as you are not on meds, I'd stay conservative. Not sure I'd reinforce it either judging by the pictures as it looks ok? 

Would be focusing on the crown now. 2000 odd should give you decent coverage back there although it maybe lacking on the density front but personally that wouldn't bother me too much as you'd overall be in a better place compared to when you started. Leaving you another 1500 or so in the bank if you want to tweak areas in the future.

Hey Fozzie,

i know you right, i need to find out how many grafts i got in the donor and then reassess, but i really want to add grafts to the front.

11 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Depends on the density you want achieved. Light coverage with scalp still visible around 1,500 grafts. Comparable density to the front around 3,000. 

wow Melvin, that's a lot of grafts.

how do i know if the crown hair loss will get bigger in the future?

how much grafts do you think i will have to add to the front for more density?

i can still feel pain and itching in the recipient area.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

wow Melvin, that's a lot of grafts.

how do i know if the crown hair loss will get bigger in the future?

how much grafts do you think i will have to add to the front for more density?

i can still feel pain and itching in the recipient area.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to know for sure the crown won’t expand. However, if you’re on finasteride and minoxidil, you have a good chance of containing it. 

The front looks good IMO, minor touch up of density 800 grafts more or less.  Remember, the crown itself takes as many grafts as the front and midscalp to achieve visual density. Your main focus should be light coverage for the crown and you can always use fibers to make it look better. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Never used meds, minoxi or fibers and don't really want to use them.

so, let's say 2000 for the mid scalp and crown and around 800 for the front will give dense hairline and good cocerage to the crown?

from this picture can we detect something about the crown?

and are those grafts that will come out?

IMG-20180109-WA0002.jpg

Wed Nov 07 14-44-53.jpg

Wed Nov 07 14-45-07.jpg

• Administrators

You’re in an uphill battle if you’re not going to use meds, if I’m being honest. 

View my thread

i really really don't want to use them.

but if you can see in my initial pictures at the front i almost haven't got hair so it's all transplanted hair there and the crown is also kinda exposed with a big area without hair so most of the hair will be transplanted and this hair suppose to last so why is it going to be a difficult struggle without meds?

Edited by wheretogo

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

i really really don't want to use them.

but if you can see in my initial pictures at the front i almost haven't got hair so it's all transplanted hair there and the crown is also kinda exposed with a big area without hair so most of the hair will be transplanted and this hair suppose to last so why is it going to be a difficult struggle without meds?

Your hair loss will progress and the crown will without a doubt expand. So, you may end up with what’s referred to as a “donut hole” which means you’ll have circular patch of hair inside a larger balding area resembling a donut hole.

You don’t want to wear concealer and honestly I don’t think it’s possible to cover the entire scalp with transplants alone. You can achieve light coverage in the crown, but not real density.

In addition, the midsection still has a lot of native hair that will undoubtedly go as well, so you see you’re in an uphill battle, cause you will continue to lose more hair and will require more and more surgeries until one day you’re out of grafts. However, you won’t be out of hair to lose. This is the reality. 

View my thread

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

should someone really needs real density in the crown?

sorry to drive you crazy with questions.

Depends on your expectations, if you think you can achieve an appearance of a non-balding person with transplants alone, I think that’s unrealistic.

View my thread

Your crown does look it has already expanded outwards a fair bit to be honest, I suppose the question is whether the sides and back will drop going forward. Not always the most accurate way of gauging future hair loss but how is the hair loss in the other men in your family? Also how old are you?