OK so allow me to explain because this title is probably confusing.  FUT versus FUE is one of the most discussed topics however, what people don’t realize, is that FUE IS FUT.  

FUT stands for follicular unit hair transplantation and was named that way because instead of using the old mini-graft  technique which contains approximately 4 to 8 hairs -  surgeons began using hair groupings as they appear naturally in the scalp, called follicular units. The follicular unit can be anywhere from 1 to 4 hairs. 

A follicular unit transplant  procedure involves both  harvesting hair from the donor area and implanting them into tiny recipient incisions in the scalp.    However, when we talk about FUSS and FUE,  we are strictly talking about the donor harvesting technique portion of the FUT procedure.  

FUE stands for follicular unit excision, recently renamed by the ISHRS from follicular unit extraction.   This donor harvesting technique involves using one of many various excision devices to harvest follicular units one by one from the side and back of the scalp or other areas of the body. 

FUSS stands for follicular unit strip surgery and  involves harvesting a strip of tissue containing hair follicles, suturing or stapling the wound, typically using the tricophytic closure technique, slivering the tissue and dissecting follicular units from the strip using microscopes.   

So what about the implantation part of the procedure?   Why is there so much focus on the donor harvesting technique? 

Well there are some names for the implantation part of the procedure, such as stick and place  but the focus is on the donor harvesting because that’s what ultimately determines the viability of the graft. If a graft is damaged, it’s typically during the donor harvesting portion of the procedure. However, grafts can be damaged during the implantation part of the procedure if the technicians or surgeon is not careful and crushes it during implantation.   That’s why implanter pans were developed for example.   They assist with implantation  while minimizing damage to the follicles.   

For more detailed information about all of the above, I suggest reading the content below that we’ve written on our website. 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Hair-Loss-Treatments/follicular-unit-extraction.asp 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Hair-Loss-Treatments/FUE-vs-FUT.asp 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Hair-Loss-Treatments/FUE-hair-transplant-implantation-devices.asp

Now, there are many more links that I can post, but if you follow the above links and then follow the links in each content page above, you will see more about specific extraction devices, sharp versus blunt punches, the history of FUE, etc. 

I’d love to hear everyone’s input on this. 

Bill