A Question About Late Shedding

Hello,

It's now month 5 after my hair transplant and after looking back at some of my pictures from previous months, I am wondering if more growth has yet to fill in because of this.

The first picture is of me at 1 months post-op. My progress at 1 month was a bit peculiar because I had a lot of grafts that grew immediately! Those hairs are not the 'dead' post-HT stubble hairs because they actually had decent length to them! I hardly see this in results posted by other patients!

The second picture is of me at 2 months. You'll notice that a lot of the grafts that took immediately after the transplant has shed. Now, I am wondering if my results aren't picking up as quickly as I wish because of how late my grafts shedded (the transplanted hairs that grew immediately shedded very near the 2 month mark). 

This makes me hopeful of more growth to come but it could simply be some lame hair science that I concocted to make myself feel better. Would be great if our experienced mentors, Spex or Gillenator could offer their input on this. Screenshot_20181117-183836.thumb.jpg.57e87515618d6a0cbc109461560f6633.jpg

Screenshot_20181117-184348.jpg

6 hours ago, SBSinNYC said:

What do you look like now?  Rock bottom is usually around 3 months or so.  Are you on the upswing?

This is my results at 5 months (just yesterday). Areas where I had shock loss of native hairs (upper left side and center of photo) seem to be slowly filling in, though it could just be my imagination. The left side also seems to be lagging behind the right side by a month. Not sure what to think about that. Am posting a photo of me at 3 months and 15 days to show how dramatic a change can occur in 2 months.

Am still hoping to get a reply to my original question though.

Screenshot_20181117-215449.jpg

Screenshot_20181118-114639.jpg

Each individual responds so differently to the procedure that answering the "why" in terms of how the grafts shed/grow is almost impossible. This is why there's no concrete timeline in terms of shedding, growth, rate, etc. The grafts will shed when they shed and grow when they grow, and as a general rule, the growth will happen between months 3-12. 

Based on the most recent photo, it seems like you're right on track. I would focus on that if I were you. Any answer to the questions regarding the earlier months will mostly be speculation and won't do much to inform/change the results you have/will have... So this is an invitation to focus your energy on the progress you've made and the progress you still have to look forward to. :)))) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56