General question about HT and hair thinness

First of all, apologies for not posting a photo of my head right now, my phone's dead, but plan on doing it really soon.

What I want to ask is a general question about the effectivity of hair transplant in cases where the problem is a general thinness of the hair. I know the procedure can work great when it comes to a receding hairline or a localized bald spot, but what about general thinness? I got hair all over my head, but it's so thin you can see the shape of my skull through it.

I haven't been able to find testimonials about cases similar as mine.

If it’s thinning everywhere, including the sides and back then you may have diffuse unpatterned alopecia (DUPA). If that is the case, then you probably would not be a candidate for a HT. Do a google image search for diffuse unpatterned allopecia to see what it looks like.

What length hair are you keeping?  Perhaps grow it out, say 1 inch or more.  Then visit with a doctor and see what you are told. Despite the length, if you can still see through and see scalp, perhaps you are experiencing global thinning as others have indicated. 

Let's bring in hair quality, thin vs thick and everything in between.  What caliber hair do you have?  What color is it?  Just curious.

Lastly, medical therapy.  (Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP).  Talk to your doctor about them.  See if he feels they would be of benefit to you. Try them for 1 year and, based on the benefit, you can decide if you should continue doing them.

Once done, and if it is DUPA, you may want to consider SMP with or without hair.  Not a bad option.

Obviously the hairline and the area behind seem to be the main concern however there appears to be some thinning in the vertex/crown to in one of the pictures. Saying that, you still have a lot of native hair that you'll most likely continue to lose it if not on medication.

If you chose to get a HT for the hairline and area behind it without meds, just be aware that existing hair in the hairline will continue to thin and impact the result of the HT further down the line. You may also suffer loss around the vertex going by one of the pictures and what level of hair loss you suffer in that area is unknown at this stage because a clear pattern hasn't really developed imo.  You'll effectively be trying to play catch up with hair loss which is not a situation I'd personally want to get into. Just out of interest. how old are you?

Personally, at this stage you are better of on meds but obviously do seek the opinion of a couple of good surgeons but feel they will push for you to jump on meds because you still have a lot of native hair. I read in your other thread you suffered sides on fin which is unfortunate. 

I'm also unable to take fin due to sides and is one reason why I've held off getting a HT and I'm glad I did hold off to be honest. In my case, i'm now in my late 30's with bald areas. My hairloss has stabilised (don't think anyone can truly say it's halted unless on meds) and feel more comfortable going ahead with a conservative procedure but even then with the understanding I may well be looking at another procedure further down the line and have to set my expectations accordingly with graft management in mind.