Couldn’t Have Surgery With Dr. Diep - Here’s Why

Legend007

Hey guys , so my surgery date for 2000 FUE grafts supposed to be on 11-19-2018..

I had 5 buisiness days prior to surgery to make full payment .. I have the whole money in my bank account , but had lost my debit card the week prior .. so they wanted me to use PayPal so I signed up for it but I had to wait for my confirm with PayPal before I can pay ..

so the office manager told me I had until 3pm yesterday to make payment .. even though I told i be able to do it tomorrow.. she still cancel on me and reschedule me for the next earliest date October 28th 2019 for FUT or FUE.. 

I’m kinda upset about it . Since my PayPal account is active now I’m able to pay .. so I’m a day late n they still canceled .. but kinda glad cuz I rather do FUT to save money .. and it’s  wiser to do fut ur first transplant .. I 

told them I want to be on their cancellation list for upcoming cancels .. but right now , I feel like going to  giving Hasson n Wong a consult .. diep clinic can steal my $1000 deposit .. I’m not waiting a whole year , I’m not crazy about their FUT , I like his hairlines though ..  but their office is not very customer friendly ..  .. so is Hasson n wong prices on their website Canadian dollars? I think I might go to them if their schedule is open . 

Legend, sorry you had these problems.  I hate glitches like this. 
I don't think I mentioned it, but they called me three times in five weeks with cancellations. I could have gotten it done earlier..just too much hassle changing the flight and hotel.  
I bet if you made a FUT appointment with them you'll get in on a cancellation. I'd sure hate to write off that $1000.  

• Administrators

Legend, 

I’m sorry to hear about your experience, it’s an unfortunate situation. I know how excited and anxious you must’ve felt about your upcoming procedure. Please let me onow if there is anything I can do to help. 

With that said, Hasson and Wong are an excellent choice as well, like the saying goes everything happens for a reason, please keep us posted.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah I know , I hate to throw away. $1000 like that ..  I’m really hoping for a cancellation within the couple of weeks .. or I’m just going to Hasson..

i prefer diep since he’s only a 2 hour drive from me .. n I like how they put u to sleep during surgery .. but it’s Krazy if they think I’m going to wait for another year .. when I already waited 10 months for this appointment .. n they couldn’t wait 1 extra day for me to arrange payment with them .. 

Yeah things happen for a reason . I really couldn’t afford to do FUE anyways .. nor wanted to for my first surgery ..  I have to think of the surgery 2 n 3 in the future .. that’s going to be super expensive doing that many surgeries via FUE in the United States .. I’m okay with the fut scar .. at least I won’t have to shave the whole donor area .. 

I like dieps office .. n the doctor himself .. but every time I have to deal with the manager there .. she’s not very customer service friendly .. 

• Administrators

Well if you get put on the cancellation list, you’ll most likely have surgery alot sooner, maybe a few more months. However, I understand the frustration, maybe you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Diep and talk to him in person, he’s very understanding and may be willing to work with you about the mix up. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Yeah things happen for a reason . I really couldn’t afford to do FUE anyways .. nor wanted to for my first surgery ..  I have to think of the surgery 2 n 3 in the future .. that’s going to be super expensive doing that many surgeries via FUE in the United States .. I’m okay with the fut scar .. at least I won’t have to shave the whole donor area .. 

I like dieps office .. n the doctor himself .. but every time I have to deal with the manager there .. she’s not very customer service friendly .. 

This could work out for you, since you leaned towards wanting an FUT anyways.  And I'm surprised to hear about your dealings with the manager. Not sure who you talked to, every one of my phone conversations were very friendly. 

Yeah dan I think it should work out for me in the long run .. I was leaning towards FUT.. mainly for financial reason n potential future hairloss .. n when it comes to surgery , if u not 100% ready then u shouldn’t do it .. 

Yeah shook . I really did want to go with diep .. n probably still will if a cancellation opens up in the next 3 months .. so will wait n see .. 

Legend,  very sorry to hear this bro.  I know you really were waiting to get this done and really anticipating this.  I just wish they gave you some more time since it was scheduled for 11/19.  They probably have a replacement for that day already seeing how far out he is booked.  I hope there is a cancellation so that you can get an earlier slot.  One year out is quite long.  $1000 is a lot for most of us.  Office staff should be more understanding.  Most likely, if you were cancelled another replacement was assigned for that day anyway.  Still a couple days to go.  That deposit should have secured you till 11/19.  If you didnt show or pay by that date, then that $1000 forfeit is justified.  The deposits are usually to hold that day for you, if no one shows then a clinic usually takes the deposit as a result of loss for that day.

In any case, i hope something works out for you.   Wish you the best man.

Maybe for the best Legend ,I feel with you it's better to fully decide whether you want FUT or FUE before you pull the trigger ,also you    weren't  happy with the person you spoke to in the office ,this could all be without getting too deep that unconsciously you are not quite ready to go for it ,ha not too mention losing your bank card ,a few months delay will make no difference .

In saying that it seems odd that they couldn't trust you and that you were sorting the cash out 

Edited by Mick50

How could they cancel spontaneously like that. I am looking to get an appointment with Dr. Diep and I am from out of the country, I would need to book flights, hotel and vacation way in advanced. To find out they can cancel like that is very nerve-wracking. 

58 minutes ago, flyinghotnow said:

How could they cancel spontaneously like that. I am looking to get an appointment with Dr. Diep and I am from out of the country, I would need to book flights, hotel and vacation way in advanced. To find out they can cancel like that is very nerve-wracking. 

They tell you your money has to be paid in full, I think ten days before your surgery.  If you're considering Dr. Diep just make sure you've paid well in advance. I sent them a check 30 days in advance just so there'd be no problems with payment.

• Administrators

As others have mentioned, you have to pay the procedure in full before your surgery. Unfortunately, what happened with legend was an unfortunate situation. However, you have nothing to worry about so long as your procedure has been paid by the time you board the plane.

View my thread

Legend,

Like the others, I’m truly sorry to hear about your situation but I also don’t think title of this topic as fair.  It’s not that Dr. Diep  cancel on you, is that you just can’t afford to pay for the procedure so you can’t have it. So I think we should change the title of the topic to something more realistic. What do you think might be more reasonable? This makes it sound like that the doctor just bailed on you for no reason when there’s obviously a reason and you admitted it yourself, you can’t pay for an FUE procedure anyway.   While it’s truly unfortunate, this doesn’t sound like it’s something that the doctor did out of malicious intent, but you realize you couldn’t afford it so therefore, you had to move on and undergo a procedure that you can pay for. 

So please let me know what we should change the  title of this topic to Orr I guess I will think of something to change it to that’s more realistic. 

best wishes,

Bill

So I went ahead and changed the title to couldn’t afford procedure with Dr. Diep last minute” which is a lot more realistic and truthful.    Dr. Diep didn’t cancel on you, you just realized you couldn’t afford the procedure and therefore, you couldn’t proceed.   If you feel another title of this topic is more realistic, please let me know and we can consider changing it. But I don’t think it’s fair to say he canceled on you when in reality, you just couldn’t afford it. At the end of the day, while hair transplant surgery is desired, it is an elective procedure and we need to be able to pay for the procedure in order to achieve it. 

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree nothing the doctor did was malicious or outside standard practice, but this new title is equally if not more misleading. A deposit was paid and pocketed but they cancelled due to it being a day late, not because he couldn't afford it. I doubt Diep's office would have had any issue accommodating this, Also suspect they would have booked in a new patient on a cancellation waiting list for the slot already, and after pocketing the $1000 deposit.

"Procedure with Dr. Diep cancelled after payment was a day late" would be more accurate.

They're running a tight ship and its fair enough, but it also doesn't make them seem like they go out of their way to be helpful on a customer service level either despite it certainly being possible in this case. But who knows, we don't know the full correspondence anyway.

5 hours ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

So I went ahead and changed the title to couldn’t afford procedure with Dr. Diep last minute” which is a lot more realistic and truthful.    Dr. Diep didn’t cancel on you, you just realized you couldn’t afford the procedure and therefore, you couldn’t proceed.   If you feel another title of this topic is more realistic, please let me know and we can consider changing it. But I don’t think it’s fair to say he canceled on you when in reality, you just couldn’t afford it. At the end of the day, while hair transplant surgery is desired, it is an elective procedure and we need to be able to pay for the procedure in order to achieve it. 

Best wishes,

Bill

How is the new title more realistic and truthful Bill ?    The facts as presented are: Legend had the full amount in the bank to pay for the surgery but unfortunately he lost his bank card the week before  and couldn't pay directly form his bank so he set up a Paypal account  but  because of the delay he wouldn't of been able to pay the money to the clinic until a day after the dead-line ,so the manager cancelled the procedure because she wasn't willing to be flexible and wait the extra day which  to me seems odd as things do happen and if Legend told them the money would be there the next day surely they could have trusted him and bent the rules slightly ,but of course their prerogative not to . 

The not being able to afford it issue came retrospectively where Legend   admitted in reality it was for the best not to go to Dr Diep as in reality he couldn't afford his  FUE rates but as I said that wasn't the case why the op was cancelled, so I think another title would be appropriate as the new one is totally untrue and misleading .

Edited by Mick50

Based on the information provided it seems harsh for Dr Diep to cancel, undoubtedly he made the final call. Another example of it’s all about the money. I struggle to understand the inflexibility given the fact this surgery was booked & deposit paid as per conditions of the contract many months in advance, another twenty four hours shouldn’t be a deal breaker. Suppose when you have a waiting list as long as his you can do what you want, business as usual then. 

• Administrators

It is a business, at the end of the day. Imagine you're at Costco the day before thanksgiving, the line is huge; once you get to the cashier the pumpkin pie has to be paid for, you can’t hold the line to run and get your wallet. Unfortunately, you have to go the back of the line if that happens. Remember, you must pay the full amount prior to ten days of the surgery.

Therefore, you have several months to figure out the finances. Whether it’s paying cash, debit, credit card etc. Comments like “it’s all about the money” is just silly, this is a COSMETIC procedure, this is NOT a medical necessity, let’s not get on high horses here. 

• Like 1

View my thread

I guess every doctor has a different business models when it comes to deposits.  NHI, Mohebi, Rahal, Wong, Limmer($500 deposit), etc have refundable deposits that are refundable closer to the surgery date. They don’t have any concerns with it. 

I understand there are standard terms to be paid by x number of days, but here it seems as if there were negotiations on when a person could pay and flexibilities.  It seems it was the office staff etc that did not believe a payment was on the way that they had to cancel and fill a spot.  It’s not easy moving large sums of money, there can be issues unforseen.  

But at the end of the day, we all do not know exactly what correspondence took place as the clinic did not provide any input.  If they did without patient approval to any party, it would’ve been a violation of HIPPA.  

At the end of the day, hope legend is able to get an earlier date and proceed with his goals.