5400 Grafts Over 10-year period; Mike Beehner, M.D.

This 24 year old male was first transplanted back in 2008, and had subsequent sessions in 2009 and 2015. He visited our office the other day, at which time these "after" photos were taken, and are set next to his original photos in 2008. Many of the men in his family are all bald, which is what I think he would be today, had he not gone the hair transplant route. "Combination grafting" was used in his first two sessions with a total of 660 MFU grafts comprising part of the total 5400 grafts, the rest of which were all FU grafts. In all he received 4740 FU grafts to go along with the MFU grafts. In all, 13,358 hairs were placed in the frontal and midscalp regions. 

Mike Beehner, M.D.

img956.jpg

img957.jpg

img958.jpg

img960.jpg

img959.jpg

img961.jpg

img963.jpg

img962.jpg

img964.jpg

9 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

It's not a bad result. Some people like to take the slower route PeloDinero. Also his first surgery was in 2008. Hair transplants have changed a lot since then. Although I'm not quite sure what MFUs are or how they're transplanted

Multi-follicular units so basically micro grafts which are an outdated technology. Maybe it’s the hair length or the fact that it’s parted down the middle that is causing th hairline to look thin. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, PeloDinero said:

Multi-follicular units so basically micro grafts which are an outdated technology. Maybe it’s the hair length or the fact that it’s parted down the middle that is causing th hairline to look thin. 

What’s your agenda? Every post of Dr. Beehner you are trashing it, this actually a good result. You seem to have an axe to grind, it’s clear to see the hairline has single follicular unit grafts. Follicular Unit Transplantation uses multi-follicular unit grafts as well, hair follicles grow in 1’s, 2’s, 3’s and 4’s, this is natural. I’ve warned you before about conducting yourself on this forum and being respectful, I don’t want to be forced to suspend your posting privileges indefinitely.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What’s your agenda? Every post of Dr. Beehner you are trashing it, this actually a good result. You seem to have an axe to grind, it’s clear to see the hairline has single follicular unit grafts. Follicular Unit Transplantation uses multi-follicular unit grafts as well, hair follicles grow in 1’s, 2’s, 3’s and 4’s, this is natural. I’ve warned you before about conducting yourself on this forum and being respectful, I don’t want to be forced to suspend your posting privileges indefinitely.

No agenda. Just expressing my opinion. I think I have a right to do that.  I’m not being vulgar or combative. I’m normalizing results so when prospective patients see results like this, they know this is not the norm. 

If you look at my post history, you’ll see I’ve applauded many results worthy of praise. I would think people (patients and surgeons) on this forum would appreciate and welcome candid and honest feedback. I thought that was the whole point of this forum, to increase transparency. 

Edited by PeloDinero
  • Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, PeloDinero said:

Honestly, not a fan of this work. Why do you still use MFUs and why did it take 3 sessions to reach 5400 when most surgeons can easily do it in 2, if not 1?

This is over a 10 year period. The first 2 were done in 2008 and 2009. Nearly everyone gets more than 1 hair transplant to get the look they want, so that seems normal to me. The 3rd one wasn't until 2015, so I'm guessing that was to fill in some areas that continued to thin. Now he is back again 3 years after that and my guess is again to fill in some additional thinning areas. In 2008 he had a frontal tuft of hair with some thin hair throughout much of the original transplanted area. It looks like that is probably all gone now. You can see his hair looks think in the center of the hairline where he had hair in 2008. Hair loss is progressive. Once you have a hair transplant, you will most likely be back for more over the years to fill in for additional loss over time. Some people will lose hair faster than others and thus will need to return sooner than others and more often.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, PeloDinero said:

No agenda. Just expressing my opinion. I think I have a right to do that.  I’m not being vulgar or combative. I’m normalizing results so when prospective patients see results like this, they know this is not the norm. 

If you look at my post history, you’ll see I’ve applauded many results worthy of praise. I would think people (patients and surgeons) on this forum would appreciate and welcome candid and honest feedback. I thought that was the whole point of this forum, to increase transparency. 

You’re maliciously saying the surgery was a micro-graft surgery, the surgeon made no mention of this and simply stated multiple follicular unit grafts were used, this is standard practice for any surgeon that practices refined FUT. Hair does not grow in only single follicular units. There are 1,2,3,4 and sometimes even 5 hair follicular units in nature. 

You are free to express your opinion, but making malicious claims in an attempt to undermine the suregon with no factual basis is not acceptable. Saying it doesn’t look good or not a good result, is different than saying this was “micro-grafts” surgery. Do you see how making these claims with no factual basis is wrong? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I always understood a follicular unit as one unit containing anywhere from 1 to 5 hairs so when someone says multi-follicular units, I take it as a graft with more than one follicular unit with each unit containing 1 to 5 hairs. This by definition is not single-follicular unit surgery. Am I wrong in that assessment?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, PeloDinero said:

I always understood a follicular unit as one unit containing anywhere from 1 to 5 hairs so when someone says multi-follicular units, I take it as a graft with more than one follicular unit with each unit containing 1 to 5 hairs. This by definition is not single-follicular unit surgery. Am I wrong in that assessment?

Yes, you are wrong he clearly states 5,400 grafts were fu grafts, how could micrograft surgery be performed when the majority of the grafts were fu grafts.

Now he may have combined fu grafts for added density, this is not unheard of specifically in the crown and midscalp. However, this doesn’t mean the surgery itself was micrograft surgery, especially considering the vast majority of the grafts were fu grafts. 

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 9:32 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

You’re maliciously saying the surgery was a micro-graft surgery, the surgeon made no mention of this and simply stated multiple follicular unit grafts were used, this is standard practice for any surgeon that practices refined FUT. Hair does not grow in only single follicular units. There are 1,2,3,4 and sometimes even 5 hair follicular units in nature. 

You are free to express your opinion, but making malicious claims in an attempt to undermine the suregon with no factual basis is not acceptable. Saying it doesn’t look good or not a good result, is different than saying this was “micro-grafts” surgery. Do you see how making these claims with no factual basis is wrong? 

Melvin

i suggest you read this